Malcolm
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Malcolm
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Subaru Impreza 1999 WRC (Tamiya) completed project

Post by Malcolm »

I posted a separate topic about 6 weeks ago on the subject of modelling after cataract surgery, which has left me with virtually no close vision (without correction that is).

I received a number of encouraging replies and as a result of those bought myself a very simple kit – the Subaru Impreza 1999 WRC (Tamiya).

This was all built before I picked up my new prescription glasses (last Friday). I purchased myself a set of ‘over the counter’ readers - +3.5, which worked quite well – or at least worked well with my right eye. I have significant astigmatism in the left eye and therefore need prescription glasses to see clearly with that one.

My new prescription glasses are varifocal with a +2.5 reading correction – this enables me to read very well, but isn’t going to be strong enough for close-up modelling work. I think I’ll try a set of +3.5 – reading glasses, but with the astigmatism correction, which should work pretty well. Although I’m almost certainly going to need some form of extra magnification for the more detailed work.

Anyway, on to the model:
This is a typically high-quality Tamiya kit, with very little to complain about other than a few ejector pin marks and a few seams to sand off on the body.
I sprayed the body with Ultimate Modelling Products white primer and Tamiya Mica Blue (the LP paints). I have to say that I’ve used LP paints a lot since they were first introduced and have been very pleased with them.
There was a separate thread that someone posted about white primers and there is a picture of my Subaru on the reply I posted there – I’ve been very happy with the UMP white.
I replaced the Tamiya decal seatbelts with a couple of sets from Eduard – seatbelts are normally one of my pet hates and trying to do them with my degraded vision (essentially one-eyed) was significantly frustrating – as was trying to paint the silver/chrome inside the front and rear lights.

I hand painted the majority of the components on the underside – mostly to practice my hand-painting skills. I would have made a much better job of the engine if it were not for the fact that it will soon be covered with a sump-guard. Indeed, most of the back suspension also gets covered with protective undertrays (not quite sure what the proper term is).

Anyway, I was so happy with the kit that I’ve just got myself a 2001 Impreza, which I’ll build with my new glasses, before moving on to ‘the stash’ – although I’ve promised myself that I’m not starting on any new builds until I’ve completed a couple of my WIP builds – I confess that I’ve got in the order of 12 partially built cars, which I really need to finish or else make the decision that I never will finish them.

I’ve posted a few ‘quick and dirty photos’. I hate taking photographs of my cars – it makes you so aware of all the defects – there’s one significant one at the front that just needs me to remove the polish residue and another around the rear right light that I’ll certainly have to try and correct.
Subaru 1.jpg
Subaru 2.jpg
Subaru 3.jpg
Subaru 4.jpg
Subaru 5.jpg
Subaru 6.jpg
There was someone (I wish I could remember his name) who used to contribute significantly to F1M when I first ‘came here’ – and he always ended his completed project posts with the phrase – ‘onwards and upwards’ – if he’s still following F1M, I hope he doesn’t mind me borrowing the phrase – it just seemed appropriate to me under the circumstances.

Malcolm

jaws
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: JAWS
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Driver Lando Norris/ McLaren
United States of America

Re: Subaru Impreza 1999 WRC (Tamiya) completed project

Post by jaws »

Enjoyed reading your post. Very neat model and turned out great.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Malcolm,

Great job on the Subaru. It is very clean and nice.

I am in the same boat with my eyesight even without cataract operation (unfortunately, it is not far away.) It is a hinder but can be overcome.

Looking forward to see more of your work.
C K
Canada

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very good looking Build :) .

Sennafan
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari

Mansell
United States of America

Post by Sennafan »

Very nice, built so many of these great kits

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Looks great, I think many of us here can sympathise with the eye issues. Good to see it's not stopping you from building and achieving excellent results

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Post by blakebirk »

Well Done! I can sympathize with you on the poor vision, mine is just due to age but it's a bother all the same. Keep building!

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Great job!!

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Nice
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.