Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Re: Ferrari F1 87 (1987) Fujimi 1:20

Post by Corpsegrinder »

daveyman wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:28 pm
Corpsegrinder wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:22 pm
jaws wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:53 am Very nice clan build. I haven't ever built a Fujimi kit and not really considered it honestly. May just have to reconsider.
Enjoyed seeing your work!
Thanks!
So far the Fujimi kits I have put my hands on were very nice, McLaren MP4/5 and this Ferrari were awesome to build. The McLaren MP4/6 from Fujimi though was another kettle of fish, I think that's probably the worst ever kit in the history of static modeling.
No way, what was wrong with it? I built it full detail and found it to be a lovely build.
I built mine with the intention to keep the cowling on. There was no way to do so unless I shaved chunks of plastic in the fuel tank area, so that the cowling could sit flush with the flat bottom. On mine also the ride height was ridicolously high, it seemed like a rally car, so more work should be done to suspension arms to make it sit lower, I think I have a WIP somewhere here, eventually I gave up on this one and hurried the assembly as fast as I could because I lost interest. I have another Fujimi 4/6 and will build it with PE sheets and many after market parts, this one will be built with cowling off, wheels off etc so that one will be nice to have. But my first attempt to build it curbside with cowling on was a total disaster. :(
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Ah, because I detailed mine I never intended bodywork on so didn't even trial fit. I do have another on to build that will be curbside so I'll pay close attention to that.

Topic author
Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

daveyman wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:32 pm Ah, because I detailed mine I never intended bodywork on so didn't even trial fit. I do have another on to build that will be curbside so I'll pay close attention to that.
Yes I remember the one you did was fully detailed, so the cowling was not on. Otherwise the fit is simply a nightmare. If I am ever going to build another MP4/6 curbside I will have to literally butcher the tub behind the driver's seat, I found out that it's that area that interferes with the cowling and causes the gap with the flat bottom.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello Corpsegrinder,

Very nice built, and the detail that you added give life to your model.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

That's a clever solution for the air-intakes.
And the car turned out to be a real beauty.
Well done!
I had already forgotten about the Digital decal.

Regarding the fit of the Fujimi kits:
In my expirience their 3d-models are designed with a very tight fit. Once there are injection marks added during construction of the molds the fitment suffers.
When I built my Ferrari 126C2, I removed EVERY injection mark. And there was an awfull lot on the undertray. In the end I got a nice and tight sitting bodywork without any gaps.
I haven't build the MP4/6 yet, but I will try it there too.