Topic author
PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Annealing Stainless Steel Photoetch

Post by PJE »

I’m hoping to get started on a 1/24 scale Academy Ferrari 250 LM build. One area that has always intimidated me are the chrome headlight cover surrounds. How do I get them to fit the contour of the fender. In doing some research about annealing photoetch parts, I believe I have the solution. The thing is, I’ve mainly found videos on annealing brass PE. Does anyone have any experience with annealing stainless steel PE? How do you prevent discoloration because of the heat? How long do you have to heat the PE? Also, what’s your favorite torch for small work like this?

Paul Erlendson

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Annealing Stainless Steel Photoetch

Post by gp-models »

I did this job a couple of times in 1:43, but i never tried to heat them cause of the heat stains. I simply used a roler to give the part the right shape and that`s it, works fine to me.
Take a stand!

viperdoug
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: SENNA
United States of America

Post by viperdoug »

Don't use a torch, you will destroy it in seconds. I have a small electric heating element that I lay the parts on. It can take a few seconds or more to do. Make sure the element is red hot. I do this on hose clamps for my MFH kits, I lightly polish with a 3000 grit pad to remove discoloring before bending the part. These parts are SS and not brass, works great.

ah100m
F2
F2
Your Name: William Schmidt
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Rob Walker Racing
United States of America

Post by ah100m »

What do you mean by a "...small electric heating element"? Hot plate? Soldering iron? I have an adjustable soldering iron. Any idea of a good temp for stainless steel?