Topic author
PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Carbon Fiber decal question

Post by PJE »

I’m starting a 1/20 scale Jordan 191 in all carbon fiber using Scale Motorsports decals. My question concerns items like wing assembly. If I decal the end plates and elements separately, what’s the best way of glueing everything together? Alternatives?

Paul Erlendson

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Carbon Fiber decal question

Post by gp-models »

When i build this kit years ago i glued everything after painting together, not an easy task with all elements, but it works. Best advise to get it alligned well is to build a small square jig which holds the endplates in position.
Take a stand!

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

Hi Paul,

It is good that the Jordan does not have a lot of exposed carbon fiber area on the wings.

Only the inside of the front wing end plate should have the carbon decal. See the shaded area in diagram below.
front-wing.png
I would suggest to cover this part with decal first before the end plate is glued to the wing. The area in red should be clear of decal as these are areas that need to be glued to the wing. A template for the cut out area can be done with a masking tape on the end plate and using the wing against the end plate to draw out the glued area.

As there is only the lower wing is covered by decal (part B32) on the rear wing, it should also be covered first before gluing it to the two end plates.
Rear-wing.png
C K
Canada

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I built this several years ago and found that, in the early rounds ( Phoenix, at least) the entire rear wing was bare carbon fibre. If I remember correctly, I glued everything together then painted it all semi gloss black as the carbon decals will leave gaps up against the end plates. I had to cut the inner endplate carbon decals in pieces to fit them in place. And had to make my own decals for the upper elements from a full carbon sheet.

Topic author
PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Thank you all for your responses, but there does seem to be a little confusion as I guess I wasn’t clear in my question. I said “all carbon fiber”. I’m building the Silverstone test 911 where the entire car was bare CF. So, when I talk about glueing the wings together, every piece will be decaled in Scale Motorsports CF. Right now, I’m leaning towards canopy glue.

Paul Erlendson

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Ok, i only see one hint in that case, ensure there is no decal in places where you need to glue the parts, otherwise it can fall appart.
For painting, i would glue the parts together before clear is coming on. In case you want to polish some parts, it might be better to paint them first, and afterwards glueing together.
Take a stand!

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by Steffen_T »

If you haven't painted anything yet, you should probably try to do a test build using white glue. The glue can easily be removed, so you can try it several times to get some confidence.
My approach would be to build the wing in two steps.
At first I would only glue the parts A3, A17, A18 and B32 together, with a losly inserted A5 as a spacer.
In the second step I would glue in A6, A5 and A4 in this sequence.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

PJE wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:07 pm Thank you all for your responses, but there does seem to be a little confusion as I guess I wasn’t clear in my question. I said “all carbon fiber”. I’m building the Silverstone test 911 where the entire car was bare CF. So, when I talk about glueing the wings together, every piece will be decaled in Scale Motorsports CF. Right now, I’m leaning towards canopy glue.

Paul Erlendson
Canopy glue would be your best bet in my opinion. I have assembled entire models with it and it is very forgiving. Those models have traveled all over the country to shows and back without any damage. On top of that if you decide that something is not aligned correctly you can easily take things apart by using water to loosen the joint.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports