cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Re: PLASTIC Upcoming F1 Releases 2023

Post by cbk57 »

For me what argues for Meng is that when they announce a kit it will be done in a realistic time frame. The GT-40 took about a year from anouncement to finish, I am surprised they are showing this as a July release, we will see. So far though usually they do what they say they are. On the other hand Nunu has promised the 99T for years and it has not hit the shelf yet. I was going to get the 99t and probably will if they ever release it, but the Meng kit I feel I know it will be bailable in due course even if not in July. It will be interesting to see what happens as noted above the renders are 3d so making production in July would indeed be very fast but I don:t see that as out of the question as Meng is quite experienced now including with larger scale car and bike kits.

leafs004
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by leafs004 »

I looked on the Meng Facebook page and they have the image of the McLaren there from March 2022. They didn’t show any pics f the model or rendering, but now I wonder if they kept it on the down low because of Nunu. I wouldn’t be surprised with a July release is legit, price seems like a great value. It’s on my buy list.
Last edited by leafs004 on Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Slow and Steady Wins the Race" - Who ever won a race with that strategy?

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

SBEST wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:37 am
dancraft wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:58 am
Haha, I was just about to post this.

If the Meng 1/12 GT40 is anything to go by I’ll stick with my MFH thanks.

I think NUNU might be a bit surprised with this announcement 😳

Regards, Dan
What's the quality with Meng Models? Are they any good?

Steve
I recently built my first Meng kit, the 1/9 BMW HP4 RACE kit (I will post pictures of it later), It was a very enjoyable kit to build, came with 2 large sheets of CF decals specific to the frame and other paterns on the bike, including the wheels which each needed 22 separate CF decals per wheel.... I was surprised at how good the quality of the kit was overall, it really was cripsly rendered parts, great detail and the fit was brilliant, the kit was very well engineered and 'to my eye' it was flawless in comparison to the real bike, it sat perfectly with working suspension which wasn't the case with some kits featuring that detail, so I would certainly hope the 1/12 MP4/4 would be just as good when it comes to quality.

This kit announcement is great news, competition between the manufacturers is a good thing, right?
I am surprised at the low pricing @ €145, seems too good to be true but hopefully they will stick to that, if they do I'll certainly order one.
Dede.

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

At least they are not producing models of the same car. The Lotus 79 from Hasegawa then Tamiya was not the best situation. Hasegawa might have released more F1 subjects if they did not have to compete with Tamiya with the same subjects at the same time. Releasing the same models at the same time was not a coincidence, it was competitive gamesmanship by one of them.
Michael Chriss

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Stevens Hobby, which is one of the main distributors in the US, has the Meng MP4/4 with an MSRP of $359.99. Meng does typically have a pretty high MSRP compared to actual sale price though. On average, the actual price you'll find at a lot of online shops is 25% lower than Meng's list. That'd put this at roughly $270.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the MP4/4 retails for less than $200 considering their 1/24 kits are $100. But if that is the case I'll buy a couple immediately.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

M.Chriss wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:59 pm At least they are not producing models of the same car. The Lotus 79 from Hasegawa then Tamiya was not the best situation. Hasegawa might have released more F1 subjects if they did not have to compete with Tamiya with the same subjects at the same time. Releasing the same models at the same time was not a coincidence, it was competitive gamesmanship by one of them.
What version is Nunu supposed to be doing vs. Meng later version?

whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

SBEST wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:09 pm
M.Chriss wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:59 pm At least they are not producing models of the same car. The Lotus 79 from Hasegawa then Tamiya was not the best situation. Hasegawa might have released more F1 subjects if they did not have to compete with Tamiya with the same subjects at the same time. Releasing the same models at the same time was not a coincidence, it was competitive gamesmanship by one of them.
What version is Nunu supposed to be doing vs. Meng later version?
Based on the test shot photos, it's the early pre-Silverstone version with sidepod cooling arrangements from Monaco, Canada, and France. Based on the wing angle I'd day it's the Canada/France configuration, which the Tamiya 1/20 Mp4/4 is closest to as well.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi all,

If my memory is correct, when Aoshima / Beemax / Nunu first announced they were creating their 1:12 Lotus 99T there was also mention somewhere of a 1:12 McLaren MP4/4.

This is pure speculation of course, but as there has been endless delays with the 99T, and as manufacturing costs are going through the roof lately, I wonder if they sold the molds and manufacturing rights for the MP4/4 to Meng to bolster Nunu's finances to allow the 99T to finally get manufactured?

Either way, those of us with pre-orders still in place for the 99T are waiting patiently for Nunu to get their act together.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Paul_OFarrell wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:02 pm I wonder if they sold the molds and manufacturing rights for the MP4/4 to Meng to bolster Nunu's finances to allow the 99T to finally get manufactured?
Hmmm not a foolish theory at all! :D

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

JamesB wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:14 pm
Paul_OFarrell wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:02 pm I wonder if they sold the molds and manufacturing rights for the MP4/4 to Meng to bolster Nunu's finances to allow the 99T to finally get manufactured?
Hmmm not a foolish theory at all! :D
Except that they are two distinctly different cars if you look at the side by side pictures posted earlier in this thread. :shock:
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports