daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
United States of America

Tamiya TS-101 bse white

Post by daves »

Tamiya spray paint has always been a challenge to find in Hawaii. There are several outlets that carry it, but the stock is always moderate. It can only be shipped by boat.
White primer has been on back order for awhile now. My favorite source just got in TS-101 base white. My research shows that it is to be used to cover a dark color when painting a lighter top color. I am asking if anyone has experience with this paint. I want to use it as a white primer on a Ferrari 641/2 with TS-8 Italian Red as the top coat. I cannot afford a mistake as I only have a halt can of TS-8.

Dave

fastbackfreddie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alain Prost, Mark Webber, Daniel Ricciardo.
Australia

Re: Tamiya TS-101 bse white

Post by fastbackfreddie »

Hi Dave, I am not familiar with the TS-101, however my suggestion is that if you can get hold of the Tamiya pink primer in Hawaii, that might be a better option for you. From my experience it does make the red topcoat really 'pop', and it also may help you make your limited TS-8 go a bit further too. Good luck with it. Cheers Tim

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

I haven't used it, but based on my reading Tamiya's description on their website, it looks like this is a substitute for primer, and meant to be used over darker-colored plastic, so there's no effect of the dark color on the top coat. Sounds good to me. :D :D :D

From Tamiya: "is specifically for use as an undercoat. With minimal layers it provides a superb base".

Thanks for the tip, actually!

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

Topic author
daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by daves »

fastbackfreddie wrote:Hi Dave, I am not familiar with the TS-101, however my suggestion is that if you can get hold of the Tamiya pink primer in Hawaii, that might be a better option for you. From my experience it does make the red topcoat really 'pop', and it also may help you make your limited TS-8 go a bit further too. Good luck with it. Cheers Tim
I wish I could find the pink primer. Only primer available in Honolulu now is the rust color. I have used pink TS spray under the red and it works great.

Dave

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi David,

Did you consider decanting the TS-8? Spraying it via an airbrush with a narrower spray pattern will minimise paint loss, rather than the broader spray pattern that Tamiya's rattle cans have.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Roncla
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Post by Roncla »

I've got a can of that TS 101 here and have been using it for awhile. it is really just a white primer with more pigment so better covering ability than their regular white primer.

I always use grey primer first as I can see imperfections better. A coat of this TS101 afterwards then allows you to lay down translucent colours like reds without the grey altering the shade.

It dries to a satin like finish is just like Zero paints.

Topic author
daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
United States of America

Post by daves »

I can report back that the base white is amazing. Goes down nice and flat with a satin finish. I let it dry and then sprayed the Ts-8. Ended up with a nice gloss finish and did not need much paint. The coverage was much better than when I used the white primer. Need to stock up on this one.

Dave

dancraft
Backmarker
Backmarker
Australia

Post by dancraft »

Sounds great Dave, thanks for the update. Hopefully Tamiya will decide to release this in the square bottles for airbrushing too.

Regards, Dan

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

I just saw this thread about an hour before going to my better-stocked-but-farther-away hobby shop - they had this paint so I picked one up - I have few things to try it out on! .