Beautiful New Tamiya Release Coming; What is it?

For all F1 scale model news...

Topic author
ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Beautiful New Tamiya Release Coming; What is it?

Post by ringleheim »

In a recent video from Andy's Hobby Headquarters, Andy mentioned that he has just learned of a beautiful new Tamiya release coming soon.

He said it "caught me totally off guard."

Anyone hear anything about this?

The modelers who are into large scale aircraft are hoping this is a new 1/32 aircraft release.

Folks here are probably hoping for something F1 related.

I suppose it's possible it's a 1/20 or maybe even 1/12 kit of some type (one can dream)...maybe a Mercedes from the last few years?

I'm pretty sure Tamiya no longer has a licensing agreement with Ferrari in place, so that's out.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything...

Mentioned at beginning and end of this video from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BcRxz_t_w

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Re: Beautiful New Tamiya Release Coming; What is it?

Post by cbk57 »

To merit a teaser like that, I think Airplane. Probably 1/32. I don’t see it as armor as they tend to just release them. I don:t know what could be mind blowing in armor either. Auto, it would have to be 1/12 to be more than just another car kit. I would think Andy knows about the pending 935 rerelease. He could be referring to that but that has been known for a long time. To merit such a hint I would hope it is a all new kit. A Automotive mindblower that Tamiya could do and sell would be the 917, 1970 LeMans winner. It would also be their style to do something of that nature. We shall see.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Takuma Sato 1/20 scale Indy 500 winner? 8)

Paul Erlendson

Topic author
ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

cbk57 wrote:To merit a teaser like that, I think Airplane. Probably 1/32. I don’t see it as armor as they tend to just release them. I don:t know what could be mind blowing in armor either. Auto, it would have to be 1/12 to be more than just another car kit. I would think Andy knows about the pending 935 rerelease. He could be referring to that but that has been known for a long time. To merit such a hint I would hope it is a all new kit. A Automotive mindblower that Tamiya could do and sell would be the 917, 1970 LeMans winner. It would also be their style to do something of that nature. We shall see.
I agree with your thinking here. I don't know, maybe a 1/20 F1 car wouldn't warrant such a teaser! So maybe it would have to be 1/12.

I'm pretty sure he's not referring to the 935; that's already well known and out there, and Andy would know that.

Definitely sounds like a new tool kit, whatever it is.

My instinct is similar to yours in that for Andy to make these comments as he did, it has to be something pretty eye opening that makes you say "I'm surprised Tamiya actually did that."

My immediate guesses would be 1/12 F1 car (after how many decades away?!) or the next in their 1/32 aircraft series, along with the Zero, Spitfire, Mustang, Mossie, & Corsair.

Andy has specifically mentioned in past videos that "he has heard" that Tamiya is getting out of the 1/32 aircraft game, focusing on 1/48, and history has supported that in the last few years. So perhaps it is a 1/32 aircraft kit, as I think Andy would be surprised by that.

I'm hoping 1/12 F1, 1/20 F1, or 1/32 aircraft (I build those too).

I bet we know the answer in a week or 2.

Topic author
ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

PJE wrote:Takuma Sato 1/20 scale Indy 500 winner? 8)

Paul Erlendson
Doesn't strike me as unlikely, and the Japanese manufacturers do love their Japanese connected subject matter.

As an aside, ever notice that Hasegawa loves to make US war ships from WWII that were sunk by the Japanese?! LOL.

But such a kit would probably be 1/20 and I'm not sure a 1/20 Indy car would get Andy all riled up in this manner. An interesting thought though!

Topic author
ringleheim
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by ringleheim »

PS: Did anyone else notice the Tamiya re-release of the Fiat 131 rally car in 1/20 scale in the video?

That kit came out in 1980; I think it's cool that they are dusting the tooling off and getting it back out there. I could see myself taking a crack at that.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Let the guessing s begin.
My turn.
Meng released the Fokker Dr.1 that Wingnut Wing was going to release so I say it is the 1/32 Avro Lancaster that Wingnut was going to release this year.

leafs004
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by leafs004 »

While I’d love to see a new tamiya 1/12, I’d say the odds on that are about as good as me winning the lottery this weekend.
"Slow and Steady Wins the Race" - Who ever won a race with that strategy?

cbk57
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Scott Huber
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, Lewis Hamilton
United States of America

Post by cbk57 »

I don't see it as likely, or even realistic, however I have always wanted them to issue a kit version of the 1/12 GTO. I think the idea crazy in part, but interesting is Takuma Satos indy winner in 1/12. It would have the benefit that almost any contemporary indy car could be modeled from it. So it is at least an interesting thought. I have been hoping Tamiya would do his car in 1/20. I just could not have been happier for his second win. His first one I was really pulling for Fernando Alonso in that race but he went out as I recall with a rash of honda engine failures.

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

Maybe they'll get back into MotoGP kits. And hopefully rerelease a bunch of the older kits to alieviate the crazy asking prices on the bay.
I would love to see this years silver and blue Suzuki that Rins has just clinched the MGP Championship with.