1992 Brabham BT60B, early version (1:20 Wolf Models).

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

1992 Brabham BT60B, early version (1:20 Wolf Models).

Post by KB78 »

This Car and previously great team disappeared mere months before I got into F1 so I never actually saw it race. However being a follower of Damon Hill, I was obviously aware of it having seen Pictures in many Books & Video Clips.

I was always intrigued by it. I like the shape & really quite like the way it looks even though it was desperately slow &, very sadly had a part to play in the final downfall of the Brabham name. To me, it's one of those "so bad, it's good" kind of Cars.
I had wanted one for a while but just needed a bit of a nudge in the right direction, so when a Member of this Forum recently had a sale I decided to take a chance.

When I hit a few Problems with my FW18 Paintwork, I decided to put it away (see my FW18 WIP Thread) & make a start on this. Unfortunately these problems also occured with the Brabham but both were eventually recovered to a standard that I'm now very happy with.

One of the first things I noticed was that the left hand side of the Floor didn't marry up with the Sidepod bodywork. I added some Putty & Sanded it to shape.
(1) Floor.jpg
Externally it's not the most detailed of Cars & has very little sponsorship to draw the Eye so the next thing I decided to do was remove the Rear & Side Radiator exit Panels. During my research I noticed that the Car was always Pictured with the side exits open, so it was a bit of a no Brainer, if a little risky.
(2) Rear exit.jpg
(3) Side exit.jpg
(4) Exits.jpg
The next job was to bore out the Airbox to make it a little more realistic, my Heart was in my Mouth for most of this & I only stopped when I realised that the Bodywork had become translucent! I have taken it back as far as the Monocoque/ Bodywork shut line & also drilled out the two recovery slots in the Roll hoop.
(5) Airbox & 2 slots.jpg
The Kit also features two grooves that reflect the Blue line of the Livery, whilst it would help with the Painting, the real thing doesn't have grooves so these were filled & sanded.
(6) Blue lines.jpg
Last edited by KB78 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: 1992 Brabham BT60B, early version (1:20 Wolf Models).

Post by Shunter »

Great start, you have to lov3 it when you have to tidy up something that should be better mounded...
Watching with interest.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

The vertical edge of the sidepod entry isn't especially sharp so I added some Miliput & sanded them both to nice sharp point & I noticed that the Sidepod/ Monocoque walls were really thick so these were sanded down to something a little more realistic. Visually it took a lot of weight out of the Car & it looks a lot better.
(7) Sidepod entry.jpg
Next I turned my attention to the Photo etched detail. The Front wing end plates, if folded as the instructions demand, would make contact with the very front of the front Wing main plane & form a square Tunnel. I couldn't find any evidence that this was correct so I made an educated guess & cut the Photo Etch footplate so that the horizontal component starts just under the Front wing flaps, the same as other Cars of this era.
(8) Endplates.jpg
(9) No footplate.jpg
(10) To cut.jpg
(11) Cut.jpg
I also noticed that the vertical fence of the Footplate is curved, I made a decent attempt at bending the PE but it was just way too tough & far too small to bend so I've had to leave the Fence flat. It's not correct but I risked destroying the end plate if I kept trying, so whilst it's not accurate, I can live with it.
(12) Real.jpg
Last edited by KB78 on Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

After completing all the prep & modification work I applied some Halfords Gloss appliance white. Then Painted Zero's Brabham BT55 Blue, it looked great........for about a day. After which the two Paints reacted, the White melted, stretched & the nice sharp blue became a very wavey, very cracked 'orrible mess. So I put the whole thing away & just left it alone for a few Months. After which I stripped it all back to the Resin & started again. Second time around it's worked out, the second attempt (using Zero's Brilliant white this time) was far better. However I experimented with a new Airbrush......& it was terrible, the worst Orange Peel finish I've ever seen, anywhere. Thankfully a Coat of Zero Clearcoat & 12,000 Grit Micromesh very quickly rectified this dreadful mess. I REALLY! didn't want to strip it all back yet again.
(14) Painted.jpg
(15) Orange Peel.jpg
Finally the Decals were applied, no problems.
(16) Clear & Micromesh.jpg
(17) Decals.jpg
More to follow "as & when", thanks for looking.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Shunter wrote:Great start, you have to lov3 it when you have to tidy up something that should be better mounded...
Watching with interest.
Thank you, glad you are enjoying it, thanks for commenting.

Daliracing
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Gert
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: 3.5l era.
Belgium

Post by Daliracing »

I'll be following this one closely as i have the late version of the kit. Great progres so far!

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

I really like the later Pink/ Blue livery & I would like to get hold of one at some point. For the time being I've enough Kits in my stash to keep me busy. When you build it up I'd really like to see your progress.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

A small update. I have completed construction of the two Radiator side exit ducts, made from Plasticard & Putty. I had a couple of Williams FW13B Radiators left over from my Williams FW12 transkit build, I found that cutting one of these in half provided two perfectly sized Radiators for this. They need tidying up & Painting but another step nearly completed.
Rad EXP (1).jpg
Rad EXP (2).jpg
Rad EXP (3).jpg

Shunter
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alfa Romeo, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Shunter »

Nice save with the paint, it’s coming along nicely.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi everyone. I've a bit of an update on the Brabham. Having finished my FW18 project I was going to take a break, I lasted about 3 weeks, then I started fiddling again. So here's the latest progress.

Most components have now been wrapped with Carbon Fibre decal.

(9).jpg

The Kit has no Radiators, therefore it's easy to see straight through the Chassis. Doesn't really look very good.

(1).jpg

So, I decided to fabricate some using Plasticard & some scale Mesh.

(2).jpg
(3).jpg
(4).jpg

I wasn't expecting them to come out quite so nicely so I am really quite pleased with the outcome. These will be fitted just before I Button it all up.

Next, the scratch built Radiator outlets & chopped FW13B Radiators were fitted. Adding a nice bit of extra detail.

(5).jpg

The Rear outlet Plates were also fixed in position.

(6).jpg