1/24 Australian Supercars Mustang Conversion w/ Tamiya kit

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
chaparral2k
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Calvin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

1/24 Australian Supercars Mustang Conversion w/ Tamiya kit

Post by chaparral2k »

I started this project several weeks ago right after the new Tamiya Mustang GT4 kit was released. Its a beautiful kit but I really wanted to make an Australian Supercars Mustang out of it.

I realize that there are some dimensions around the roof area that are different from the stock Mustang and the Supercars Mustang, but I feel its not major enough to not attempt to make a good looking model out of it.

The major difference is the nose, its simple completely different on the Supercar.

With basically no dimensions I started to sculpt out the front nose, little-by-little

I did weeks of filling, and sanding, over and over, until I got the basic shape.

New Hood, Nose, Grill, splitter, and rear wing assembly

Also a right-hand drive setup for the inside

After I got all the parts scratch built and perfected, I made molds and cast them with resin.

The one part I need help on was with the wheels, I tried to scratch build them by hand but it just wasn't looking good. So I asked my good friend Indycals https://www.indycals.net/ for help! He 3D drew the wheels up and had them printed by Shapeways and the LOOK AMAZING! Thank you Indycals. Also, Indycals will be offering the decals for this new Resin conversion kit.

I will make a mold of these 3D printed masters and cast them in resin.

The modifications for this new conversion kit will actually be pretty basic

Some sawing on the front fenders, and cutting out the hood is the most work this kit will require. There will be some filling and sanding for sure, but that's no big deal.

More updates, coming soon.

In the meantime feel free to check out my new and improved website (Formulaly known as Hobbitime)

https://themodelcarchannel.store/

Last edited by chaparral2k on Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my website for many Resin and plastic kits at: https://classicracingresins.com

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/24 Australian Supercars Mustang Conversion w/ Tamiya k

Post by Jeff »

awesome, I was wondering what work would be needed to convert the kit to the Aussie Supercars version. Will keep an eye on the conversion kit release :)

TvD
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tim
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lando Norris and McLaren
New Zealand

Post by TvD »

That looks very nice!
The problem with the Supercar Mustang is... it is not a Mustang :shock: That's why the shape is so off. All Supercars are build on the same "chassis" which was designed for a 4 door saloon (Falcon/Commodore/Altima/...). So they had to wrap a 2 door exterior on a 4 door one, hence the somewhat weird shape of these cars. You will never get the exact shape from a real Mustang though as they are too different.
But, your interpretation is really fine work in my opinion!
My Scalemodel gallery: https://photos.keepturningleft.com

Denbo
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Denbo »

I think that will look awesome. Better than the real car due to the mentioned issues!!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Looks great! I wasn't super interested in this kit other than thinking how it would be turned into a V8 Supercar, and good to see someones doing the hard work already!