Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Re: Why not a 1/12 transkit by F1M?

Post by Joaquin »

Considering only the Tamiya kits, in my opinion, the most evident transkits we could think about could be:

Brabham BT44-----------------> Brabham BT42
Ferrari 312B-------------------> Ferrari 312B2, Ferrari 312T5 both already done by Protar
Ferrari 312T-------------------> Ferrari 312T2 already done by Protar
Ferrari 312T4-----------------> Ferrari 312T4 Monaco
Lotus 72D--------------------- > Lotus 72C already done by MMK in Italy
Matra MS10--------------------> Matra MS10 Ford
Renault RE20------------------> Renault RS10 1979
Tyrrell 003--------------------->Tyrrell 006

Looking within this list, the most demanded kit in the forum comments has been the Tyrrell 006 and the Lotus 72C, both have big differences with the donor kit and must be analyzed which could be easier to product, probably similar.
We have a third option, the 312T4 Monaco. It seems that only the two wings, rear wing support and the nose are different than the standard but should be checked.

I have a couple questions for the 3D print experts:
Has the resin strentgh enough to allow printing suspension arms or other thin parts that should support the weight of the model?
Airbox, chassis or nose can be printed in one piece, not two halves, without estructural problems?

An a couple too about 3D drawings
Taking for example the airbox of the 006
The part must be drawed by hand or the software can draw parts starting from the classic three views?
Or the software can build a drawing starting from pictures taken from different angles?

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Joaquin wrote:Considering only the Tamiya kits, in my opinion, the most evident transkits we could think about could be:

Brabham BT44-----------------> Brabham BT42

I have a couple questions for the 3D print experts:
Has the resin strentgh enough to allow printing suspension arms or other thin parts that should support the weight of the model?
Airbox, chassis or nose can be printed in one piece, not two halves, without estructural problems?

An a couple too about 3D drawings
Taking for example the airbox of the 006
The part must be drawed by hand or the software can draw parts starting from the classic three views?
Or the software can build a drawing starting from pictures taken from different angles?

BT42, super nice looking car. Been working on that one also. But only an "optical transkit"..mainly decals, nose and airbox but I think the suspension is also very different !?

I wouldn't rely only on the suspension to carry the cars weight...maybe add some supports under the car. I thing that's no problem since they are nearly impossible to see.

Yes everything has to be done by hand. Depending on the parts it can be supereasy for example a brakdisc which is a very simple baseform with some holes in it.
An airbox is much more complicated because you have to understand the flowing form. All can be done but can take some time. I've been doing that for over 20 years now and one very important part is getting references, measurements and understanding the form.

I personally have all the tools necessary like all needed softwares and a 3d printer but what would be amazing is a 3d scanner so you could check your creations right on the model itself withoput doing testprints and you get the feeling if it looks right. But these things are so expensive...otherwise I would already have one :)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

My friend has a laser scanner that he says is not expensive. He has show me a scan of his face. It looks good enough.

I don't think we need a scanner that is industrial grade that is down to 0.01 mm accuracy. I can ask my friend about his model.

As for suspension arms, I have done a replacement set for my 1/24 W01 car using a steel wire sandwiched between 2 sheets of plastic. For 1/12 scale, it should be easy enough to cast resin arms with steel wires inside as reinforcement. Another way is to print two halves of the arms with a channel for the wire and glue them together.

One thing that comes to my mind about this idea is the legal side. Will members involved be legally challenged by the copyright owner or companies that paid the license fee for exclusive rights? Even teams like Tyrrell and Brahbam no longer exist, are someone or some companies still hold the property rights of the designs?

Might be someone with legal background can comment.
C K
Canada

Flinstone
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Great Britain

Post by Flinstone »

Tyrrell diecast models are made under license, there is a logo to that effect on the boxes.
I wonder if that would only be a problem for products made for commercial sale and not a collective effort for participants only?

Over the years I have seen the Tyrrell 006 cars with the bodywork removed and have some photos that I would be happy to contribute to this.

Flinstone
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Great Britain

Post by Flinstone »

Actually I had been thinking about making the early version of the Tyrrell 005 as it used the same size tyres as the oo3 and it could carry over more parts from the 003 kit.

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

If I had to vote, why not the 312T4 with Monaco Wing to start with ?. As well as the French GP version another modeler so kindly displayed in the past. Start small and build up....... This way we gauge interest.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Bingo :)

I think that, rather looking at who can do what, the start should be in looking at what are people interested in (ie: what are they actually going to buy)

Each project should start with the basic analysis: "Is the project viable?" -are people going to buy the model? :)

I think it is a great idea, as we have more than enough super skilled people on the forum, but all I can offer is encouragement and well wishes.

(and also, sorry but not interested in 1/12 scale, too dear for me. :( )
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Ferrari F1-75 (since 2024)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

irb
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams
Slovakia

Post by irb »

I could participate by creating some 3D parts or smaller subassemblies and export it as STEP files if somebody would want me to do it.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

1/12 scale will be too big for me. I have no room to display them. Is there is a possibility to print the 3D parts in smaller scales, like 1/20 or 1/24? I have not worked on 3D print designs and so I have no idea.

Two cars that I like to have are Tyrrell 006 and Matra MS10.
C K
Canada

Topic author
Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Concerning to scale, I want to think that after getting the 3D drawings, it is very easy to change the scale from 1/12 to 1/20 or viceversa, but must be confirmed by the experts