Tamiya 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 w/ upgrades

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Tamiya 1/12 McLaren MP4/6 w/ upgrades

Post by dr_gn »

I tend to agree about the exaggerated surface texture often seen on male-mould tub models. Then again modelling is sometimes as much about what you expect to see, as opposed to true-scale reality.

I'm undecided. Which is probably one reason why my MP4/6 has come to a grinding halt: too much stuff I'm not sure about.

Topic author
Jose01jr
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jose01jr »

I racked my brains off but then I saw some pics the same size as the model and you really can’t tell the texture. The important thing was getting the color correct. Couldn’t do it with paint but the CF had the color I was looking for so I went with doing the whole tub in CF and it looks really nice as long is fine with 1:24 scale CF do weave is hardly noticeable. Didn’t you build this model already? Are you doing it over? Or doing a whole new model?

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Jose01jr wrote:I racked my brains off but then I saw some pics the same size as the model and you really can’t tell the texture. The important thing was getting the color correct. Couldn’t do it with paint but the CF had the color I was looking for so I went with doing the whole tub in CF and it looks really nice as long is fine with 1:24 scale CF do weave is hardly noticeable. Didn’t you build this model already? Are you doing it over? Or doing a whole new model?
Both: I built mine back in about 2000, I got it for Christmas. Totally OOB, and not very well built or painted at that. A few years ago I decided to try again, so intended to sell it on EBay, buy a new kit and start from scratch. I got some bids, but removed it before the auction ended - I couldn't part with it becasue it had sentimental value; my late Dad had bought it for me, and we'd spent may happy days together at F1 events in teh '80's and '90's (see here in case you're interested: https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31058 )

So then another boxed kit came up for sale locally, so I bought it, and this is the one I'm building now - as a fully detailled chassis. It won't have a body.

My original will be 'kerbside', with its original body, but re-painted. Pretty much everything underneath will be original, but anything visible will be lightly re-furbished if necessary.

Plan is to display them side-by side on a base, inset with my original Senna and Berger autographs I got in '91.

I'll get a bit of cash from selling the complete spare body, wheels, tyres and some spare detail parts I guess.

Then I'll start on the FW14B, and 641. But they will both be just one chassis with the body removed. I never built those cars before.

Compicated, but there we go.

Topic author
Jose01jr
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jose01jr »

I was at those races late 80s to early 90s as race car mechanic. Good times. I’m also going to build the Ferrari 641 Tamiya in 1/12 with Prost who is my favorite driver. I have the kit and the upgrade already and it’s going to be nice. But first this MP4/6. Presently working on the cockpit and tub

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Jose01jr wrote:I was at those races late 80s to early 90s as race car mechanic. Good times. I’m also going to build the Ferrari 641 Tamiya in 1/12 with Prost who is my favorite driver. I have the kit and the upgrade already and it’s going to be nice. But first this MP4/6. Presently working on the cockpit and tub
I've only got the Top Studio FW14B front bulkhead and damper set. I'll have to get the cockpit set at some point. I suppose they will release chassis and engine too, and eventually everything for the 641. BTW I got the Thunder Valley actuators for the FW14B, much better than the Top Studio resin items. Paul included a yellow marker pen, and if you paint the turned aluminium actuators with the pen, it looks exactly like the gold coating on the real car.

Topic author
Jose01jr
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jose01jr »

Yes that’s how I painted the front bellcranks for the mp4/6. I used a gold marker. I did the FW14 a long time ago. The only one left to do is the Ferrari.

dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Could you tell me where you got the thicker springs from please? I’ve tried to make my own out of lead wire, but getting the machined ends right is very difficult. Also tried dipping them in paint multiple times, but that’s not right either. Thanks.

Topic author
Jose01jr
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jose01jr »

Continued over the weekend working on the front bulkhead of the tub by adding the TS upgrades which includes the steering rack which was painted in the same color as the gearbox as it’s magnesium. The master cylinders are a big improvement to Tamiya’s. I added banjo fittings for the brake lines and clutch lines to the master cylinders. Also added hardware from some company can’t recall the manufacturer but it’s studs with nuts and I used those for the mounting of the master cylinders to the bulkhead. Also added hardware to the resoivers. Pretty nice upgrades and it adds nice details. At the top of the tub I added the front toll bar cross plate (don’t know what you really call it but it’s used at high speed tracks to stiffen even more the front roll bar) from Thunder Valley upgrades. I added tiny hardware were the plate connects to the rollbar but doubt you can see it. Tiny hardware I’m working with but it adds to the detail. Also added the aluminum spacers from a Thunder Valley were the front bell cranks will bolt too. Here are a couple of pics. Sorry for the lousy pics but it’s from an old iPhone.
Attachments
2DAC4D45-F9C8-4A53-AA7A-BE22FDC7CB72.jpeg
D0166878-A17F-4C1B-9557-82A4E1B6B46E.jpeg

Topic author
Jose01jr
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jose01jr »

dr_gn wrote:Could you tell me where you got the thicker springs from please? I’ve tried to make my own out of lead wire, but getting the machined ends right is very difficult. Also tried dipping them in paint multiple times, but that’s not right either. Thanks.

Hi dr-gn I’ll get back to you on that by Wednesday. I have to check my records as I bought those over a year ago.

Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

dr_gn wrote:Could you tell me where you got the thicker springs from please? I’ve tried to make my own out of lead wire, but getting the machined ends right is very difficult. Also tried dipping them in paint multiple times, but that’s not right either. Thanks.
I use copper wire, it comes in many thicknesses and can also be stripped from electrical cable, its stiffer than lead wire and the end can easily be filed flat while it is still on the mandrel. I close up the end coil and file it so it makes a flat base for the spring to sit on.
Painting is easy with spray brush, just gotta move it round so you cover all sides.

You can see my copper springs in my Ligier thread

Malc.