Tameo 1:43 Ferrari 156/85

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Tameo 1:43 Ferrari 156/85

Post by dr_gn »

After reading about some 1:43 builds on another forum, I was very tempted to have a go at a metal model again after a break of about 35 years. One of last ones I built was a Ferrari 156/85, when I was 15:

My Dad got it me for Christmas after going to Silverstone for the GoodYear tyre tests and Grand Prix in the summer of ‘85. Despite going to Grands Prix since I was less than a year old, that ‘85 Ferrari was really the first time I’d got to see and appreciate an F1 car up close, so it’ll always be a special car for me. Here are a couple of pics I took at the time with my Dad’s Olympus Trip:

Anyway, despite really wanting to build another, I quickly put the thought of yet another kit to the back of my mind, considering the load of other half finished projects I’ve got. I did mention it to a like-minded friend at work though...

Fast forward a few weeks to my birthday, and to my amazement, my work colleagues had a whip round and presented me with this; the latest iteration of the kit:

Beautifully presented in a neat box, it’s almost too nice to open, but when you do, it’s a treat: these days you get photo-etch, coil springs and pre-printed tyres, as well as beautifully moulded white metal:

Instructions are ‘interesting’ in places, but no problem really:

They also got me another kit with a huge amount of sentimental value: a rare Tyrrell P34 Prototype kit from about 1975:

https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=31223

Amazing, especially since I pride myself on being the most grumpy and cynical person in the office.

I’ve tried to resist, but I think I’ll be making a start soon....definitely an OOB build though.

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Re: Tameo 1:43 Ferrari 156/85

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Modern Tameo kits are so nice. Definitely a big jump from the early days. Great to hear what effect certain cars have had on others throughout their life. And having the ability to re-build a kit makes it even better. Enjoy!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

dgwoodward2 wrote:Modern Tameo kits are so nice. Definitely a big jump from the early days. Great to hear what effect certain cars have had on others throughout their life. And having the ability to re-build a kit makes it even better. Enjoy!
Thanks! I intend to enjoy a totally OOB, relatively quick build for a change...

RE60B
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Cédric
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: RENAULT
France

Post by RE60B »

great stuff for a great work, i do the same thing sometime :D

keep on!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Assuming that a bit of what you fancy does you good, and that one more unfinished project won’t make much difference these days, I made a start:

Just a general clean-up of the main parts and drilling holes for the front wings and turbo intakes. The photo-etch is nice and so far everything fits pretty well:

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

The main issue are the prominent moulding marks on the sides of the tub:

I’ll flat them the best I can and give it a primer coat to see how bad it really is.

The base is quite complicated, requiring a screw hole to be drilled:

and assembly of the cast floor, photo-etched forward monocoque floor, etched rear floor and ride-height spacer:

The radiator cores are represented inside and out with photo-etch, which, like everything else so far, seems to fit perfectly:

The etch material is quite thick; as usual I annealed the driver’s harness and it then bent easily to shape:

I think I’ll probably anneal all the parts at their bend points - particularly the suspension. It feels like it will fracture if any bends need adjusting.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Dipping in and out of this one - I’m enjoying it. Just been drilling out the myriad mounting holes for the suspension arms:

It all balances together really nicely:

The level of detail is great for such a small model, and it’s pretty much all in the box too.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

These Tameo kits are a joy to build. Nice to build one along with a larger 1/12 scale. No way to confuse the parts.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

turboF1 wrote:These Tameo kits are a joy to build. Nice to build one along with a larger 1/12 scale. No way to confuse the parts.
Yes, I need to get on with that McLaren too.

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Pretty much completed the separation of the parts from their gates/frets, and clean-up. The wheels are multi-piece items as per the originals, and should look good when finished. I’m considering polishing the rims rather than painting them:

The front suspension mounts are nicely done, and look quite effective:

Surprised to see the diffuser stays included. They require 0.4mm holes drilling, and click nicely into place into slots under the rear wing beam:

Also included are hoses for the oil cooler and medical air supply for the driver. Again, all the holes need drilling: