1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Post by tehSAC »

Getting closer.....

Funny thing happened today. My PE parts finally showed up. Going to just store them away and see if I can find another one of these kits someday. I did start painting the barge boards but might just stick with the ones that came with the kit. Eventually build the 1993 Australian version, in which I won’t need those. Oh and I’m going to have to cut the legs off from the knee down to get the figure to fit. Going to try cutting the feet first and see if that works.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Well the car is 95% done now. I need to let some decals and glue dry and then I can add a little weathering. After that I can get the figure done and placed into the car. So next post should be the last when it comes to this kit.

I did not complete the engine, and glued the cowling onto the kit. A true curbside kit for sure. There are a couple spots I’m not happy with but overall I’m pretty happy with it. The part that bugs me the most is that I completely flubbed the nose stripe. I didn’t notice it until assembly I did a horrible masking job and didn’t paint far enough back towards the mirrors. Most wont notice but you know damn well that will bug me. Paint turned out good, decals went on well, and it looks like a real race car. Haha.

Last edited by tehSAC on Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Good job! You mention that you sprayed TS-96 over TS-36 using rattle cans. Can you give us an idea of the ratio of the number of coats of each? For instance, equal coats of both, more 96 vs 36, etc? Thanks.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

tubegenius wrote:Good job! You mention that you sprayed TS-96 over TS-36 using rattle cans. Can you give us an idea of the ratio of the number of coats of each? For instance, equal coats of both, more 96 vs 36, etc? Thanks.
Thank you.

It was a light coating of 36 over the Tamiya Pure White. Then a mist coat of the 39 over that. Once all that has dried a heavier coat of the 39. It just toned down the brightness of the 39 enough to get it to my liking. On a couple parts I did spray the 36 over the 39 to tone it down. But a very light mist coat.

Hopefully that helps a little.

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Hello Paul,

It’s looking really great and clean; I like the rain tyres.

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

GF-F1 wrote:Hello Paul,

It’s looking really great and clean; I like the rain tyres.

Cheers

Franck
http://www.gf-models.eu

Thank you! I had to cut the legs off of the figure to get it to fit. That was tough for me to do, cause its such a beautiful figure that you created.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »