Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Tamiya 1:12 McLaren MP4/6 Rebuild/Upgrade

Post by senninha »

Thats absolutely awesome, thanks for sharing ur techniques. Im very impressed.

Jose01jr
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Jose01jr »

dr_gn wrote:
Jose01jr wrote:Hob-bits screws have an assortment of brass screws that can be used for 1/12 scale cars. .90 with 1/4” long hex head tiny bolts.
Thanks, that's useful to know, I'd not heard of them. I think most of the suspension bolts on the real car have dimpled heads, and some have 12-point flanged heads. I can't remember what Top Studio do for this - I believe they're represented by gold p/e. I'll have to see what they look like.

Yes we used NAS bolts in racing because of the higher tensile strengths. With these Hob-bit bolts because they are brass you can drill the center to simulate the dimple and if you get the correct screws they actually thread into the Tamiya mounts. I used those on my FW14b back in 95

Seema
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Martin Seelos
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, Williams, Toleman, Mclaren.
Austria

Post by Seema »

The best MP4-6 build. I'm with every update. I am always happy when I come to f1m and their contribution is at the top. Simply great how you implement your skills. I have a little black book with all changes, tips, tips and tricks next to my PC. I hope it will be full until the model is finished. Since I have followed their construction, my 4-6 and the TS kit have been at the top of the stack. Many years ago I built it with the PP and brake set. Built you can't really see it. Excuse my enthusiasm but it is unique what you can get out of the already great kit's. So, enough to write with, I'm already looking forward to the next entry. The wait is tough. Thank you for sharing and explaining your work with us. Very appreciated.
lg.Martin
Seema

senninha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by senninha »

Nothing to add to the previous post, that is outstanding

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Seema wrote:The best MP4-6 build. I'm with every update. I am always happy when I come to f1m and their contribution is at the top. Simply great how you implement your skills. I have a little black book with all changes, tips, tips and tricks next to my PC. I hope it will be full until the model is finished. Since I have followed their construction, my 4-6 and the TS kit have been at the top of the stack. Many years ago I built it with the PP and brake set. Built you can't really see it. Excuse my enthusiasm but it is unique what you can get out of the already great kit's. So, enough to write with, I'm already looking forward to the next entry. The wait is tough. Thank you for sharing and explaining your work with us. Very appreciated.
lg.Martin
Thanks very much for the encouraging words. Often it doesn't seem worth it, but hopefully when the day comes to assemble everything it will seem to be!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

senninha wrote:Nothing to add to the previous post, that is outstanding
Thanks - Appreciate your comment!

Inuyasha
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Germany

Post by Inuyasha »

dr_gn wrote:
Seema wrote:The best MP4-6 build. I'm with every update. I am always happy when I come to f1m and their contribution is at the top. Simply great how you implement your skills. I have a little black book with all changes, tips, tips and tricks next to my PC. I hope it will be full until the model is finished. Since I have followed their construction, my 4-6 and the TS kit have been at the top of the stack. Many years ago I built it with the PP and brake set. Built you can't really see it. Excuse my enthusiasm but it is unique what you can get out of the already great kit's. So, enough to write with, I'm already looking forward to the next entry. The wait is tough. Thank you for sharing and explaining your work with us. Very appreciated.
lg.Martin
Thanks very much for the encouraging words. Often it doesn't seem worth it, but hopefully when the day comes to assemble everything it will seem to be!

I can only agree, your doing a pretty awesome job on it and i enjoy your updates!
Fully agree that if your working on it and see no real progress, your getting frustrated, but once the point is reached and you see that things are coming together, it will give you a kick in motivation!
Keep it going! :)

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

Yep, I'm not too motivated at the moment - it takes a lot of concentration, and it gets too much after a while, especially with no end in sight. I've got loads of other model projects too - at present I'm dividing my time between the MP4/6, a model steam engine I'm machining from castings, and a 1:250 model of the Bismarck, in paper. And of course family commitments...

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

dr_gn wrote:Yep, I'm not too motivated at the moment - it takes a lot of concentration, and it gets too much after a while, especially with no end in sight. I've got loads of other model projects too - at present I'm dividing my time between the MP4/6, a model steam engine I'm machining from castings, and a 1:250 model of the Bismarck, in paper. And of course family commitments...
A Bismarck?? :shock:
Now you got me!! :lol:
Even it is not F1, please come up with a pic of it, no matter if it is in progress, a teaser would be sweet to me! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
dr_gn
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by dr_gn »

gp-models wrote:
dr_gn wrote:Yep, I'm not too motivated at the moment - it takes a lot of concentration, and it gets too much after a while, especially with no end in sight. I've got loads of other model projects too - at present I'm dividing my time between the MP4/6, a model steam engine I'm machining from castings, and a 1:250 model of the Bismarck, in paper. And of course family commitments...
A Bismarck?? :shock:
Now you got me!! :lol:
Even it is not F1, please come up with a pic of it, no matter if it is in progress, a teaser would be sweet to me! :)
As requested, here's the paper Bismarck I'm building. It's a bit of a beast at nearly a metre long...

A couple I built previously;

The Mellum:

And Emden:

I've also built a North Sea Trawler <<Wuppertal>>, and a WW2 Corvette "Battleford". They are all made by a company called HMV in Germany - really nice kits. The trawler and Corvette are featured on the website:

https://www.h-m-v.de/en/

The kits come as a pre-printed booklet, that you cut out and glue together:

You can also buy laser-cut card sets for small details like railings:

I always used to think paper models were a bit naff, until I saw some examples at the International Maritime Museum in Hamburg - which were awesome scratch-built models. The museum shop sold HMV kits, so I gave one a go and was really impressed by the design and quality. Very different from a multi-media MP4/6, but it's all good fun, and good experience.