1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: 1993 Mclaren MP4/8 - European GP

Post by daveyman »

I'm afraid I've never found a decent way to clean up runs/creep under masking tape. I focus on getting the masking spot on to avoid the problem as much as possible.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

daveyman wrote:I'm afraid I've never found a decent way to clean up runs/creep under masking tape. I focus on getting the masking spot on to avoid the problem as much as possible.
I did the same and before the orange coat went on I sprayed the tape edges with pure white to help “seal” the tape.

Well the part I was most worried about turned out pretty good.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

That looks super sharp, unless you've hidden any errors with clever photography I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Nice work.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

daveyman wrote:That looks super sharp, unless you've hidden any errors with clever photography I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Nice work.
THANKS!

Nope no trick photography.

CaptainMark
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by CaptainMark »

Excellent work in the masking and paint job, masking for a top coat can be a tricky sob sometimes, always feels super awesome when it comes out spot on!
Image Image

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

CaptainMark wrote:Excellent work in the masking and paint job, masking for a top coat can be a tricky sob sometimes, always feels super awesome when it comes out spot on!
Thank you. I’ve not had luck in the past but this time I’ve been very happy with the outcome. Can’t wait to get the decals on.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Started on my favorite part of all kits... decals!

gerty
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by gerty »

I agree with you regarding the decals ! Nice work !

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

gerty wrote:I agree with you regarding the decals ! Nice work !
Thanks. There are some issues with it but overall I’m pretty stoked with it. This has been my first kit start to finish since around 2006. I’ve built Gundam but no painting or glue on those kits. Excited to get it completed and displayed.

Topic author
tehSAC
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tehSAC »

Not a ton of progress on my end. I painted the black edge on the bottom of the barge board and i think I made it too thick. Oh well I’m not gonna sweat it too much. I’m pretty happy with it so far and I don’t plan to enter it in contests. Plus most who will see it in person will never know the difference. Besides that I’m just trying to finish off those last little details before final assembly. I made an antenna out of a sprue, and finished the dash and wheel. The antenna could probably be thinner based on photos I’ve seen, but I honestly don’t think it looks bad. I’ve also sanded out the molded seat belts and painted the seat German Grey to match photos I’ve seen online. My PE parts seemed to have been lost in the mail so I’m reverting to using the decals for the tire markings as well.

On Senna’s helmet visor I’m going to lightly brush some Tamiya smoke over it to give it the tinted look used in the race. Lastly my plan is to do a little weathering on the car to try and replicate what the car would resemble at the end of the race. I’ve thrown out the idea to keep detailing the engine for a couple reasons. One was the fitment was dodgy with the wiring and I just wasn’t confident masking the body to paint some of the black underneath. So that won’t be completed and just need to get the suspension buttoned up on the rear.