WIP: Indy Cars

Beware of all the tiny parts...

For all posts related to 43rd scale models.

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

WIP: Indy Cars

Post by dgwoodward2 »

So I have been out of the hobby for a number of years and the "lockdown" (and kids getting older) prompted me to jump back in.

During the lockdown I completed the following:
1. Built a workbench in the garage for the spray booth I built along with an appropriate venting to the outside (having dedicated place to have things makes a big difference).
2. Purchased a new HVLP Iwata Mini-Spray Gun (requires a bit of practice).
3. Invested in new supplies (thanks to Coast Airbrush, Scalefinishes.com, Gravity Paints Spain, USA Gundam Store, and a bunch of Amazon & e-bay sellers).
4. Really spent time planning out the building of the kit(s) I am working on.
5. Developed a higher level of patience (still a works in progress with that one).

So first up in my return are 2 IndyCars. One I have had for some time and the other is one I picked up last year.

1. Formula Models (RIP Colin Fraser) 1/43 Target Reynard of Alex Zanardi. Used Scale Finishes Target Red over gray & white Badger Stylynz primer. Next step is to 2K clearcoat.
IMG_4878 sm.jpg
2. Brickyard Models (kit was for the Alonso or Sato Indycar from 2017) 1/43 Steak n Shake car of Graham Rahal. Used Scale Finishes RAL 3028 Red over gray Badger primer with Indycals decals. Mounting on BBR case (leaving space for a plate to hopefully have Rahal sign someday. Continuing with decals, then a round of 2K clear, then some flat black along with more decals and then some semi-gloss clear.
IMG_4876 sm.jpg
Well, that's it for now. Also playing with an Ampersand March 84C for Rick Mears.

Take care and stay safe.

feelgood
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: WIP: Indy Cars

Post by feelgood »

Wow!!! Those look fantastic, well done!

Formulamike
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by Formulamike »

Very good Kits, good start
Follow the end
Mike

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

Great stress relievers aren't they..?
Keep posting, lookin good so far
Bruce Coy

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Love the Reynard and the Dallara looks really good, too. I think one the front nose wicker, the teams tend to split the decals so the logo looks correct from the front. Not sure about that on yours but just a heads up to check it before clear. Great job, keep it up, and do not forget the pics - especially the Mears 1984 winner!!

Jordan

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Indy1977TX wrote:Love the Reynard and the Dallara looks really good, too. I think one the front nose wicker, the teams tend to split the decals so the logo looks correct from the front. Not sure about that on yours but just a heads up to check it before clear. Great job, keep it up, and do not forget the pics - especially the Mears 1984 winner!!

Jordan
Thanks Jordan. That one got by me. I just pulled the decal of and will replace it. Also noticed that the wicker is black in this car. Luckily I have a spare set of decals.

steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

Nice little cars....perfect project for the Month of May.

Going to be ready to race tomorrow? ...uh, cancel that, you have more prep time. LOL

Topic author
dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

Well, I finally finished the Steak n Shake car. Pretty happy with it. Had to overcome a few issues, but otherwise pretty happy with it. The Gravity 2k went down pretty well and sanded nice and smooth. Really like using the spray gun for for the clear coats. I have started using the base early on to get the stance correct and this kit actually did have a mount part to go between the base and the car itself. I used a P-touch label over the plate that I hope to get signed at a future race and will just pull it off for the autograph.

I did use some carbon decals for the rear sidelet wings in order to get them black which looks pretty good versus painting.

It should be noted that the Brickyard Models kit is the 2017 car of Alonso/Sato that I then applied the 2015 decals for Rahal (Indycals.net) so though not perfect delivers what I was after. I have another copy of the kit I believe I might use to build the Fontana winning car of Rahal of 2015.

The Target car is ready for the next step of assembly but I am not happy with the alignment of the front suspension. There was a correction issued with the kit to re-drill the holes which I did, but the arms are still a little forward and close to the front wing. Fits, but I am considering some options. I am also close to being finished with the 1984 Mears Indy winner, but I need to be in the right mood to trim the vacuformed widescreen. Any advice that can be provided would be appreciated.

This is the first kit I have completed in over 5 years so happy to be back.
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg

vanhookvintage
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: vanhookvintage
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by vanhookvintage »

So glad you're back! Nice work!

Cheers,
Greg
"Everyone dreams of driving a Ferrari, it was my intent from the start." Enzo Ferrari

f40
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by f40 »

Awesome nice work