Ferrari 512bb 1/16 Revell/Fujimi build (FINITO)

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Shadow
Jamaica

Ferrari 512bb 1/16 Revell/Fujimi build (FINITO)

Post by steveracer »

Hey guys, my first time documenting a build. This model was actually started like 20 years ago, and I put it away when I started surfacing the body and considered the fit and finish of the doors and other panels to each other as crap.

Now with the lockdown, I have dug into my old stash and this is one of the kits that I want to complete to get it out of storage. Ha Ha, so here it goes. Nothing fancy, just a straight up build of a real interesting transition car from Ferrari, the theoretical successor from the Daytona into the new age of gold chains and pinkie rings.

Here it is out of the box from the olden days.

I had to wash the mold off of every body panel first!

So I decided to paint the main chassis parts red first (I am building the full body color version, not the Aztek version where some were black), then tape off the red and paint the black. My first time using Tamiya spray paints. They spray nice but the paint seems weak to adhere to the primer (scuffed).

Then paint the black underside portion. I used the Micro Mask over the Tamiya. That was a mistake as it disfigured the paint after pulling it off. So I had to inverse the process, paint the black, then mask the black with tape, throw out the Micor Mask, and paint the red after resurfacing the body panels again...

Finally a workable platform to begin the build!

Last edited by steveracer on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Jamaica

Re: Ferrari 512bb 1/16 Revell/Fujimi build

Post by steveracer »

A few Flat Twelve developments....
A very simple appearing engine, you can't see the cam covers as it sits in the chassis - such a shame, but it is starting to take on some life...

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Good looking car build. I like the progress so far.

Jordan

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

A little update on the progress. Have the engine located in the chassis and some suspension pieces completed.

The damper and springs actually look pretty cool. Sadly they will barely be seen as they are kind of hidden under the inner fender liners when finished.

I am leaving the seats in the plastic molded in color on the leather surfaces, and dulling down the backs and sides...the interior tub is getting prepped as well, and installed in the chassis.

Then a little test fitting of the main body. Going to need a little of persuasion to get this to set down on the chassis. Next step is to paint the upper body parts, that will be Tamiya Italian Red.

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

So last week I painted some body panels with Tamiya Italian Red from the rattle can. It lays nice but is REALLY prone to chipping and is fragile. I will start polishing these out with Novus and do NOT plan to clear coat - some cars It puts too much of a shiny surface on the body, where the actual cars were not show cars and had 80's quality. Since this is a quick and non-detailed build, it is getting the Novus 3-2-1 treatment.

Also did some interior building and getting prepared for more assembly. I left the door panels original molded black as they have a pretty period sheen. not much detail but these cars were pretty crude interiors. I worked on Fiat X1/9's back in the day in the shop, and they were more detailed. Ferrari cars are basically "Fiats with lock washers" - and the Fiat stickers on the race cars kinda reinforces that tone....LOL.

Had to put a weight on the intake air boxes to ensure they would sit down nicely so that the rear engine cover fits. The fit and finish of this model is questionable, doors and such are going to be a challenge.

Time for some Novus body shop work....

Redbox
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Lotus, Williams
Italy

Post by Redbox »

Not the best quality model, but you are doing a good job!

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

Redbox wrote:Not the best quality model, but you are doing a good job!
Thanks, and the quality is pretty poor. I don't expect the driver's door to fit very well up at the b pillar area, and the rear body section or engine cover is ASYMMETRICAL! The touch down points to the chassis left and right are different and I am not in the mood to modify this thing, just a straight out of the box build to get it off my bench. I will post a few images of this later.

i try to do a good enough job that it will get the idea across of how this car looks. It is kind of an unloved Ferrari, and I am appreciating the design more as I build it. I love how low slung this thing is.

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

Going with a Novus 3-2-1 polish and no clear, so will have a little orange peel

The Left side rear engine cover is a few mm longer than the right side....and the fit is concerning. I am going to finish this as is and not mess around with it.

Gonna be a chore to get the doors to line up with the A pillar and B pillars

Kind of what it will look like - shortly I hope.

Hein
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Leyton House, Ferrari, Simtek
Austria

Post by Hein »

Cool!! Very nicely done 8)

Topic author
steveracer
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Jamaica

Post by steveracer »

A few updates. I have been working and not so much time at the bench, but it is finally done.

Had to space the front wheels out with some spacers from my spare parts box - unfortunately the rear through axle was a few mm too long and the REAR wheels stick out a little too far. I don't want to pull them apart as the press fit is really tight.

Had to pin the mirrors, and in order to get the left and right door window frames to have the correct amount of tumblehome, the side glass needed to be precisely glued and held in place. I used Elmers, and had several attempts to get this right....

And the finished product...Not so hot, but looks good on the shelf or with the doors and engine cover open...ha ha.

Should I move this to completed models section?