Porsche 936 Turbo – Tamiya 1/24

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Tyrrell
Spain

Re: Porsche 936 Turbo – Tamiya 1/24

Post by JesusM »

JamesB wrote:Good! Two perfectionist tips for you.
First, nice mesh at good prices:
https://www.metal-mesh.co.uk/
Forget overpriced Tameo's, they probably get it here too :wink:
Other thing: the "nipple" just before rear wheel arch is a light for the numerals. Why not replace it with a clear rounded small part? you are good at that! :D
JámesB, i'm afraid you have to see my next update that it will come this week with the weekend job!! :wink:

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I saw the meshes at MR, that's why I mentioned metal-mesh.co.uk :wink:
So you already have something for the lights? :D

Topic author
JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Spain

Post by JesusM »

JamesB wrote:I saw the meshes at MR, that's why I mentioned metal-mesh.co.uk :wink:
So you already have something for the lights? :D
Let's see...this week :D

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great!!! :D

Topic author
JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Spain

Post by JesusM »

En el post anterior decía que quería empezar con el proceso de poner las calcas, pero se ha truncado. Mi amigo Borja, me sugirió quitar las luces de los laterales que iluminan a los numerales por la noche en las carreras de 24 horas. Y aunque estaba la carrocería pintada, busque dichas luces en Spotmodel, las encontré y me puse con ello. En definitiva, solo eran dos luces que tenía que eliminar.

Para empezar este hilo, os muestro como quedan las dos partes que pinté de rojo. La trasera que voy a colocar para que se laque junto a la carrocería……

I wanted to start with the process of putting the decals in the previous post, but it has been truncated. My friend Borja suggested me to remove the side lights that illuminate the numbers at night in 24 hour races. And although the body was painted, I looked for different lights on Spotmodel, I found them and I got on it. In short, there were only two lights that I had to eliminate.

To start this thread, I show you the two parts that I painted in red. The back that I am going to glue so that it will be lacquered with the body ……

Y la delantera, con el filtro colocado sin pegar. Me imagino que lo ensuciaré un poco:

And the front, with the filter placed without gluing. I guess I’ll mess it up a bit:

Aprovecho esta actualización, para mostraros el proceso de los tapacubos de las llantas. Viendo que las tuercas eran complicadas de pintar bien, y que no me gustaba mucho la forma de fijar el tapacubos con unos pernos si forma, empiezo a buscar unas tuercas para sustituirlas. Y como estuve buscando las luces laterales en Spotmodel, busqué unas tuercas y las pedí!! En al siguiente foto os muestro una original y otra con la tuerca de Scale Production superpuesta. Eran válidas!!

I take advantage of this update to show you the process of the wheel hubcaps. Seeing that the nuts were complicated to paint well, and that I didn’t really like the way to fix the hubcap with bolts if it was, I started looking for some nuts to replace them. And since I was looking for the side lights on Spotmodel, I looked for some nuts and asked for them !! In the next photo I show you an original and another with the Scale Production nut superimposed. They were valid !!

Entonces, con el minitaladro y una muela de base plana y con forma de cilindro, fui limando el centro del tapacubos hasta que la tuercaa original de plástico despareció. Aqui vemos dos tapacubos con sus tuercas riginales, y las dos llantas con los tapacubos superpuestos con las tuercas nuevas. Decir que las llantas delanteras necesitan la tuerca con ese vástago grande para fijarlas, pero he tenido que cortar el vástago en las traseras porque no hace falta para fijarlas.

So with the mini drill and a flat, cylinder-shaped grinding wheel, I was filing the center of the hubcap until the original plastic nut disappeared. Here we see two hubcaps with their rigid nuts, and the two wheels with the hubcaps superimposed with the new nuts. Say the front rims need the lug nut with that big stud to fix them, but I’ve had to cut the stud on the rear because they don’t need to be attached.

Y aquí, todo listo para pintarlas:

And here, everything is ready to be painted:

Pasamos a las luces laterales. Aquí os muestro las origianles del kit. Como bien decía Borja, si bien la forma no es errónea, la base es extremadamente ancha:

We turn to the side lights. Here I show you the originals of the kit. As Borja said well, although the shape was not wrong, the base was extremely wide:

Por lo que procedo a cortar y lijar. Vemos a su lado, al bolsa con las luces que pondré, que se componen de un fotogranbado para la base y una bolita para la luz. Son de Profil24.

So I proceed to cut and sand them. We see next to it, the bag with the lights that I will put on, which consist of a photoengraving for the base and a ball for the light. They come from Profil24.

Procedemos a enmascarar para imprimar y pintar. Aprovecho a pintar también la parte de atrás ya que vi un punto extra de pintura!!

We proceed to mask for priming and painting. I take advantage to also paint the back as I saw an extra point of paint !!

Y aquí, todo hecho: imprimado con Gravity y pintado con Zero brillante (que no es brillante!):

And here, all done: primed with Gravity and painted with Brilliant Zero (which isn’t shiny!):

Y como Spotmodel me iba a mandar lo anterior (y alguan cosilla más….) muy rápido, aproveché y les pedí rejilla para cubrir las entradas NACA de detrás, (de las cuatro, las de los extremos), que permiten el paso de aire a los dos turbos. Aquí veis la rejilla y la entrada de aire a cubrir:

And since Spotmodel was going to send me the above parts (and some other things …) very quickly, I took advantage and asked them for a grid to cover the NACA entrances behind, (of the four, those at the ends), which allow the passage air to the two turbos. Here you see the grille and the air intake to cover:

Pensé en hacer un molde y contramolde para hacer la rejilla por presión, pero al estar la carrocería pintada, no quería dañarla. Entonces usé cinta de enmascarar y dibujé el contormo de la toma NACA:

I thought about making a mold to make the grill by pressure, but since the body was painted, I did not want to damage it. So I used masking tape and drew the outline of the NACA shot:

Eso lo pasamos a la rejilla….

We pass it to the grid …

Y recortamos con una tijeras, dejando un borde, para doblarlo. Para ello, usé unos alicates de punta plana y fui dando forma, con el método de ir probando cada vez que modificaba la rejilla. Ésta, se dejaba doblar e incluso la di forma presionando contra una pieza de hierro. Decir que para las esquinas, recorté la rejilla en ángulo para que hubiera espacio al doblar los laterales. Aquí vemos una puesta y otra por poner:

And we cut it with a scissors, leaving an edge, to fold it. To do this, I used flat-nose pliers and shaped, with the method of testing every time I modified the grid. This one was allowed to bend and it was even shaped by pressing against an iron piece. Say that for the corners, I cut the grid at an angle so there would be space when folding the sides. Here we see one setting and another to be put:

Y aquí, las dos puestas, siendo el resultado óptimo!!

And here, the two sets, being the result great!!

Ahora si, espero que lo próximo sean las calcas!!

Gracias por ver y comentar!!

Now yes, I hope the next is the decals !!

Thanks for viewing and commenting!!

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Nice!! Love the work you are doing!!!! :D :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Spain

Post by JesusM »

Icon_Modeler wrote:Nice!! Love the work you are doing!!!! :D :D :D
Happy to read that!! :D

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Nice detail work Jesus, good choice to remove the molded in lights and replace them, such tiny details make a hugh difference in the overall look finaly. Like it! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Spain

Post by JesusM »

gp-models wrote:Nice detail work Jesus, good choice to remove the molded in lights and replace them, such tiny details make a hugh difference in the overall look finaly. Like it! :)
Yes, these details make a toy a mini real car! :wink:
Glad you like it and thanks for commenting!!

Topic author
JesusM
Backmarker
Backmarker
Spain

Post by JesusM »

En el anterior post, dejé el coche listo para poner las calcas, y aquí le teneís, con las calcas puestas:

In the previous post, I left the car ready to put the decals, and here you have it, with the decals on:

Pero antes de todas la fotos, os muestro otros avances que he hecho. Primero con las piezas de los escapes con los turbos. Al chequear fotos originales, me doy cuenta que toda la parte del turbo tiene un ligero color óxido. Para reproducirlo, utilizo el lavado óxido de MIG, que aplico con un pincel. El acabado que tiene lo podéis ver en las siguientes fotos:

But before to show all the photos, I show you other advances that I have made. First with the exhaust parts with the turbos. When checking original photos, I notice that the whole part of the turbo has a slight rust color. To reproduce it, I use the MIG oxide wash, which I apply with a brush. You can see the finish it has in the following photos:

Otro punto que cambiado son las llantas. Recordad que eliminé la tuerca que venia de origen, y que usaría la de Scale Production. Aquí tenemos un par de fotos donde se ve el conjunto si pegar aun. Las tuercas tienen una capa de Alclad dark Aluminium y un lavado con Smoke:

Another point that I changed are the tires. Remember that I removed the nut that came in the kit, and that I would use the Scale Production nut. Here we have a couple of photos where you can see the set without pasting. The nuts have a layer of Alclad dark Aluminum and a wash with Smoke:

Y ahora si, las fotos de las calcas. Decir que tuve problemas la principio porque son muy delgadas, y con los líquidos Micro se volvía extremádamente frágiles, por lo que decidí usar agua y secador, y depués el Micro Set. Para las rejillas, puse la calca ayudándome con un bastoncillo de algodón, pero no mucho. Una vez estaban un poco secas, las corté con un cutter nuevo por su parte delantera, para que el resto de la calca, se adheriera a la rejilla, y aplicando Micro Set con un pincel, que metía por cada ranura.

And now yes, these are the photos of the decals. To say that I had problems at the beginning because they are very thin, and with Micro liquids they became extremely fragile, so I decided to use only water and a dryer, and then the Micro Set. For the grids, I applied the decal helping me with a cotton swab, but not much. Once they were a little dry, I cut them with a new cutter on the front part, so that the rest of the decal adheres to the grid, and applying Micro Set with a brush, which I put through each slot.

La complicación de las calcas de este coche, aparte de las rejillas, no fueron las bandas de Martini, sino colocar el resto de logos en la misma posición en los dos lados de la carrocería, por lo que ponía la de un lado sin fijar y después ponía la del otro lado. Una vez comprobadas las posiciones de ambas calcas, incluso con una regla, las fijaba.

The complication of the decals of this car, apart from the grilles, were not the Martini bands, but placing the rest of the logos in the same position on the two sides of the body, so it put the one on one side without fixing it and then put the other one on the other side. After checking the positions of both decals, even with a ruler, he fixed them.

Ahora, hay que arreglar algunos pequeños fallos de las calcas con pintura, y pasaremos a lacarla. También nos pondremos con el chasis y el cockpit.

Gracias por ver y comentar!

Now, we have to fix some small flaws in the decals with paint, and we will move on to lacquer. We will also get the chassis and the cockpit.

Thanks for viewing and commenting!