Fujimi F2007 1/20 WIP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

935k3
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Fujimi F2007 1/20 WIP

Post by 935k3 »

Try soaking inWD-40, it removes the gum from the tape. Then wash it and glue it down with Future or thinned white glue. Use ammonia to remove excess Future.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

BMW wrote:It looks absolutely great! :)
Nice candy apple red color. Very convincing.

I did the same thing as you with the decals, applied masking tape on a decal, and then pulled both off.
I was able to however rescue the decal by using a brand new scalpel blade and slicing the decal of the masking tape.
Felt like a surgeon doing that:

Note that you need a brand new scalpel as it needs to be really sharp.

Then it was a matter of using white spirits to remove the masking tape glue from the decal, and reapplying it, using generous amounts of decal setting solution.

Good luck, it looks to become a good model!
Thanks for the advice!
935k3 wrote:Try soaking inWD-40, it removes the gum from the tape. Then wash it and glue it down with Future or thinned white glue. Use ammonia to remove excess Future.
Thanks guys, I'll give those both a try! :)

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Thanks to your help I was able to kind of salvage the decal. Without your tips it would have been totally lost. I'm not sure if I'll keep it or just remove it as the decal got pretty beat up when I was getting it off the tape.

Test fit with the cockpit mated to the floor.

And the front wing is almost done.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

That red looks beautiful. You are doing a great job on this car.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

daveyman wrote:That red looks beautiful. You are doing a great job on this car.
Thanks!

A few more:

I found a MFH seatbelt kit for a deal. It is really nice looking and not too hard to put together.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

I'm slowly getting to the end with this one. These two pieces gave me a lot of trouble:
They needed a good deal of sanding to even fit and then they still weren't any where near flush with the forward bodywork. I ended up removing paint from the radiators and gluing the bodywork to the radiators.

Gluing to the radiators combined with very strong rubber bands while the glue set made it conform (hopefully it stays that way longterm! :shock: ).

Right where the bodywork touches the radiators is where I glued. There was no where near enough surface area on the lip from the other bodywork to hold it in place. These modern F1s are really challenging!

And now for some reason (probably operator error) about half the tire decals are peeling up like this! :x I have ordered a Tamiya seatbelt kit that includes a Bridgestone tire stencil so I'm waiting on that.

Mock-up with the engine cowl just sitting on the car. Putting the engine cowl on is really tricky and removing it is just asking to chip paint or worse. Next time the cowl goes on it isn't coming off! :mrgreen:

Now I just need to add a few more pieces of bodywork, mirrors, decals, and do some black painting around the sidepods. And fix the tires!

GGSF1
Formula e
Formula e

Post by GGSF1 »

The red looks fantastic, congratulations!

I think you mentioned you achieved it using Tamiya spray paints, right? For people like me that never used an airbrush it's nice to see what you can do without it :)

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

GGSF1 wrote:The red looks fantastic, congratulations!

I think you mentioned you achieved it using Tamiya spray paints, right? For people like me that never used an airbrush it's nice to see what you can do without it :)
Thanks! Yes, it was done with Tamiya TS rattle cans.

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

If you want to close the enginecover I think you will have to look where the engine construction pushing against against the cover. Just because your dryfittings without engine in the beginning look a lot better. Otherwise a nice work... go on

Marcel

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Marcel wrote:If you want to close the enginecover I think you will have to look where the engine construction pushing against against the cover. Just because your dryfittings without engine in the beginning look a lot better. Otherwise a nice work... go on

Marcel
The engine cover is just sitting on the car in these photos. To be "installed" it must be flexed under a lip behind the air scoop and flexed over lips above the radiators.

I've done it once and it was very difficult to remove it. That does seem to hold it down tightly though. Hopefully it will still fit with everything attached to the car.