WIP: Tamiya 1/20 Honda RA272 1965 Mexican GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Re: WIP: Tamiya 1/20 Honda RA272 1965 Mexican GP

Post by seamus »

Thanks very much guys... and yes - I’ll be showing this opened up but also making sure that everything still fits when covered up... well that’s the plan anyway :-D

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

Not had chance to catch up with this WIP before but glad I did. Your work so far is very impressive, really captured the look of this jewel of an engine.
I will be following with great interest.

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Update:

A lot of prep work in this update, mainly around the chassis. The floor is moulded with two parts of the bodywork included either side, meaning that there would be a nasty gap once this is fully assembled. In order to try and avoid this I removed the strips of bodywork from the floor and attached these to the body, then filled the gap using Mr Hobby fine surface filler and sanded back until smooth and invisible. Once this was all set I did a dry fit to ascertain that all this can still be assembled without any dramas so hopefully I'm not gonna regret this once I come to put it all together!

and with the two sections outlined in red removed...

I also removed the rear section of the front lower wishbones, the reason being is the bodywork is lacking in detail where this is attached to the body, this is prominent on the finished model. Each mounting is surround by a riveted plate - just like the rear engine mount supports, I recreated this with drilled plastic card and have ordered some resin rivets to replicate the original car better.

The kit would have you assemble these like this... very lacking in terms of the 1:1 car...

I cut the wishbones as below...

Drilled plasticard...

The bodywork OOB... missing a few areas of rivet detail...

and with the revised mounting plates attached...

I removed the moulded bodywork fastenings from the nose and replaced them with p/etched ones...

The suspension arms and fluid reservoirs were then removed in order to make it look more detailed replicate the original better, giving a much more realistic look than having them moulded to the chassis...

I also removed the very basic moulded detail on top of the fuel tank...

I then added two plasticard sections to the rear of the tank to fill in an area which would otherwise be completely open if left off, very different to the actual car.

Painted the completed tank in flat aluminium with a little highlights dry brushing to add detail. Added two An fittings and an etched tank cap from the etch spares box.

The floor plan was then painted using washes and dry brushing to bring out the lights...

Finally, finished wiring up the engine with brake lines and oil tank hoses...

and a quick dry fit to make sure it all fits (which it seems to do so far :-)

Thanks for following :-)

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Further update...

The crazy surreal days we are currently living in has meant I have been able to spend a lot of time on modeling... and so I've made some healthy progress...

Having already drilled holes for the further rivets that were needed to accurately replicate the bodywork on the car, I added resin rivets from Masterclub - 0.7mm flat rivets.

The completed bodyshell...

I then turned my attention to the interior, first up both interior sides need hoses which run the length of the interior which are very prominent and consistent on the original car. These were secured with very thin fuse wire and attached through pre-drilled holes on the cockpit sides.

The dashboard needs some attention to bring upto the detail level of the rest of build, I sanded all the raised details flat and used some etched dial surrounds and scratch built the switches, I also added bolt heads where references indicated. Once the decals were dry I used Krystal Klear to recreate a glazed effect on the dials. I also added relevant cables behind the dials...

The steering wheel is very over size and so I removed the centre section and replaced with a photo etched version, I also hand painted imitation stitches on the inside of the wheel to replace the wheel more accurately...

The gear lever again is rather simplified in the kit and so I cut the connecting rod from the main selector housing, I then drilled out the housing until is was hollow. I then added a metal rod (paperclip) for the linkage and a resin bolt head and washer, along with some tubing to recreate the wider sections where it joins the housing. The actual lever will be recreated with more metal rod and I will use the existing knob, drilled to take the now rod. The housing was detailed with etched bolt heads.

The near completed chassis is now taking shape...

Finally, I have got paint onto the bodyshell, I cut a mask for the red circle rather than using the kit decal. Some metal mesh was inserted in the front of the nose to replace the grill on the 1:1 car.

That's all for now :-)

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

a quick further update...

The bottom details of the car completed and hoses connected up to the bottom of the Radiator...

Brake lines and hoses completed...

The steering rack is pretty poor in comparison to the real car, I decided to break this up and rebuild the ends using aluminium rod, resin bolts and tubing...

Finally, the wheels. I decided (maybe incorrectly) that after looking through numerous reference pictures the wheels are not black as per the kit painting scheme and more of a very dark bronze colour. I replicated this by using a colour from the Citadel acrylics range 'Tin Bitz', this was thinned and sprayed and then given some heavy black washes to dull it down further. I also added metal tyre valves...

That's all for now. :-)

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Wow, great work! The level of detail you are bringing to this kit is amazing.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Brilliant work Sean, really enjoying this WIP, great description and photography too.
Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Lovely detail work on this old kit, looking nice! :)
Take a stand!

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Thanks very much guys... completed thread here - https://www.f1m.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 23#p334123