Fujimi F2007 1/20 WIP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Fujimi F2007 1/20 WIP

Post by CelicaGT »

I started this a while ago but then we moved and my work bench ended up packed for several months. I'm finally unpacked and I've dived back into it.

This will be my first "modern" F1 with all the crazy wings and aero shapes. We'll see how it goes without an airbrush. :shock:

So far priming has gone OK, except for using a ton of paint. I'm also trying to be a bit more relaxed on this build and not worry about everything being perfect. :? :)

Next up is an undercoat of TS-88 titanium silver followed by TS-74 clear red.
Last edited by CelicaGT on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Fujimi F2007 1/20 WIP

Post by donnieleblanc »

Great Start! If memory serves, that was a pretty tricky kit...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

donnieleblanc wrote:Great Start! If memory serves, that was a pretty tricky kit...
Pretty much all the Fujimi kits seem to be this way. Of the three I've tried to build only ones really been a success.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

donnieleblanc wrote:Great Start! If memory serves, that was a pretty tricky kit...
So far I'd agree! That's one of the reasons I'm trying to not worry as much about making everything perfect. I already think the engine cover will have to be glued down if I want it to look decent.

stubeck wrote:
Pretty much all the Fujimi kits seem to be this way. Of the three I've tried to build only ones really been a success.
That's not encouraging. :lol: I just really love the look of the F2007 so that's why I decided to take the chance. There are so many Fujimi kits of cars that look tempting but I'm not sure I'll want to try any more Fujimis after this kit.

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I took a similar approach to building as you. I secured the bodywork work together so that you can get the fit right before paint. One thing I would suggest is to make sure the engine/gearbox will still slide into place between the bodywork at the back. I can't remember the exact problem that I had, I built mine a good few years ago, but the fit was very tight.
Hopefully you've already addressed any issues but just wanted to warn you.
I agree that for a relatively 'moderne era' aero car this one is a beauty and if you can get the metallic red correct it's even more so.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

daveyman wrote:I took a similar approach to building as you. I secured the bodywork work together so that you can get the fit right before paint. One thing I would suggest is to make sure the engine/gearbox will still slide into place between the bodywork at the back. I can't remember the exact problem that I had, I built mine a good few years ago, but the fit was very tight.
I agree that for a relatively 'moderne era' aero car this one is a beauty and if you can get the metallic red correct it's even more so.
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't checked that yet. :idea:

I'm really hoping the color comes out well. It's been raining nonstop here but tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. I should be able to get the first silver coat on tomorrow.

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

this kit irritated the life out of me and ended up with a poor fitting on the right hand side of the bodywork purely because i didnt pay attention and test fit.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

daveyman wrote:I took a similar approach to building as you. I secured the bodywork work together so that you can get the fit right before paint. One thing I would suggest is to make sure the engine/gearbox will still slide into place between the bodywork at the back. I can't remember the exact problem that I had, I built mine a good few years ago, but the fit was very tight.
Completely agree with that approach. There is so little clearance with some of them thats why the later ones are curbside I feel. My FW16 was OK on this, but the rear wing never fit properly, and my F2003 is essentially just the wrong wing because so much fit poorly on it. Its completely a "me" problem though as I feel if you don't put too much paint on, and don't paint where it shouldn't go, it likely will have less problems than I had.

Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Yeah I agree with everyone else, it's a nightmare fitting the engine up and into the body when it's all glued together, I had to separate the little bits at the back to fit it in when I did this kit.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

kimi_8 wrote:this kit irritated the life out of me and ended up with a poor fitting on the right hand side of the bodywork purely because i didnt pay attention and test fit.
Tyrone wrote:Yeah I agree with everyone else, it's a nightmare fitting the engine up and into the body when it's all glued together, I had to separate the little bits at the back to fit it in when I did this kit.
Yikes! :? Thanks for the comments guys! I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Today was sunny so I was able to lay down a coat of TS-88 titanium silver. It went pretty well I think. It's far from perfect (you can see some of my sub-par putty work on the nose and under the cockpit but oh well. :lol:

And the lazy man's CF (black metallic paint brushed in one direction to give it the look of CF weave). :mrgreen:

I plan to do maybe one more coat of TS-88 in case I missed any spots. Any recommendations on how long to wait until I switch over to TS-74 clear red? Should I give it a few days?