WIP: Tamiya 1/20 Honda RA272 1965 Mexican GP

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Sean
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Great Britain

Re: WIP: Tamiya 1/20 Honda RA272 1965 Mexican GP

Post by seamus »

-Felix- wrote:Hey Seamus,

have you checked the engine cover fitment with the new intake trumpets? They look way taller than they actually were on the real car, so you might need to shorten them to fit the cover.
On a sidenote, interestingely they were not all the same size on all races! For some races, the inner 4 were the tallest, getting shorter to the outside.

But engine looks lovely so far!
Thanks my friend, and yes - I did a quick check and it sits fine. Yes I noticed that in some of the reference pictures i have, it seems for the Mexican GP they all looked the same size.

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Update:

Suspension units completed and painted according to the references...

The rear sub frame and upright support need a little work and will benefit from some re-work... I removed the support bars that attach to the body as these will be replaced with metal rod and detailed either end with fastening nuts...

The brake discs are relatively plain looking affairs (vented discs in F1 were a little way off in 1965) and so these only need painting in the appropriate colours. I detailed them with some hose joints from Hobby Design which will be connected with brake lines later.

I added the oil tank tot he rear of the engine frame, this was detailed with a strap to hold it down which will have an etched buckle which attaches to the exhaust bracket on the real car.

Lower exhausts installed...

Finally for this update, suspension units, uprights and remaining sub frame - detailed with bolt heads. The top exhausts added too but only as a dry fit, I also installed a scratch made throttle linkage including spring which completed the injection assembly.

Thanks for following.

AlexB
Spectator
Spectator

Post by AlexB »

I then added washes using Tamiya's panel line colours, brown for the gold parts and dark grey and black for the silver areas, once this was dry I reset the base colour before picking out the raised areas with some drybrushed highlighting ...
A wonderful build and some of the best weathering/shading techniques I have seen.

Please could you explain the process above, do you add any clear coat before adding the wash? Also when you mention resetting the base colour is this spraying a thin base coat over the top of the washed areas so the darker areas just show through the thin coat?

Many thanks

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Thanks Alex...

So my process is as follows, having primed and sprayed the part with its chosen colour, I then use a wash suitable to that colour (for silver colours I use black or dark grey, lighter silver colours and pale colours I use light grey, and for gold I use brown washes).
Once this has completely dry I reset the main colour by re-painting but leaving the recesses with the darker wash intact, I then add highlights on edges and raised surfaces using a lighter shade of the base colour.
Hope that makes sense.

AlexB
Spectator
Spectator

Post by AlexB »

Many thanks Sean. I imagine you have to use a fine needle airbrush for the detail work so as not to over paint the recesses with the washes?

Topic author
seamus
Team Owner
Team Owner
Great Britain

Post by seamus »

Alex, for smaller parts I hand paint the base colour. I only respray for much larger areas and yes only with the finest needle on the airbrush. You can also use the airbrush to do shading too, this has to be done very carefully and light coats with low pressure is needed, although accuracy is obviously important here, something I'm still learning :-)

AlexB
Spectator
Spectator

Post by AlexB »

Thanks Sean

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Seamus, Wow, that rear end sure looks fantastic with your washes and those German air trumpets! I'm lovin' this build!
"keep it coming - you 'Da Man!, Querque

dlphnfn
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Walter Wolf Racing
United States of America

Post by dlphnfn »

Love this man!! Keep up the good work!

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

That detailing is very impressive. I hope you plan to display it with the cowling off so everyone can see your hard work. :)