1/18 Bburago Jaguar E-type Lightweights conversions

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

1/18 Bburago Jaguar E-type Lightweights conversions

Post by WardsModelBuilder »

Hello all, Here is my thread for my latest commission project. This is going to be converting three Bburago 1/18 Jaguar E-Types to customers specific race versions, each covering the racing life of the car.

Here is the original car, as raced in the 1960's and restored for the Goodwood festival.

I have started by dismantling the models ready for removing the original paint.

There will be some small modifications to be made, as the car raced with and without bumpers and there are a few areas of the diecast bodies that I'm not happy with so they will be reshaped to suit.

I will have further updates in the coming days.

Thanks

Chris

http://www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: 1/18 Bburago Jaguar E-type Lightweights conversions

Here is the progress made so far on the bodywork of the Jaguars. All paint was removed, to my surprise, maybe I should have expected it being that these are quite a low cost model to start with. But the casts were of very poor quality, with a lot of pit holes. The original paint was so thick that these were not visible but with the paint I'm intending to use I realised a lot of filling sanding was going to be needed. 

I have got to the point where I am happy with this now, and should take primer pretty well. 

I have also sanded off the ugly door handle mounts. 

and filled these, 

The next step is now to get all the body parts primed, so I can show in the next update the parts all painted. 

Thanks
Chris

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

somehow i like picures of old battered hoods & doors, reminds me of my 1/1 projects ;-)
Persistence is what it takes to finish the job. And skills of course. Both plenty available, so this project should be fine.
Nice.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Hi all, I now have some progress to share on the diecast build I am working on. I was finally happy with the filling, sanding and priming of the body parts to apply to main base coat. This is the actual paint the car was raced in and supplied by the customer.

I have also now started to place the race specific decals.

The interior, which has been painted in green and the steering wheel which I was asked to give a silver centre and a wooden wheel. The first car of the 3 car collection raced on white walled tyres, which I have also painted.

The standard Bburago model does not have a roof, and even though the first white walled version raced without a roof the other two did. So I have made a silicone mould and with a resin mix I have been able to make roofs for the other two. These will definitely need some fiddling to make fit but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!!!!

The body parts will now be cleared and interiors all put back together, I hope to have some photos of the finished models in a week or so.

Thanks
Chris

Topic author
WardsModelBuilder
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Hi everyone, hope your all well and staying safe.

Here are the photos of the three finished different versions of the E-type diecasts. Since my last update the models were clear coated, wet sanded and polished. Then put back together in there various specs. The customer also asked if I would make a roll cage for the #7 as when it was raced at Goodwood this was a requirement.

I'm pretty happy with the out come given the limitations of working from a low end diecast base model, and I think they represent the real car well.

Onto the next one.

Thanks
Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Great! rescue from the wasteland of unloved diecast to the realm of nice models :D

Redbox
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Lotus, Williams
Italy

Post by Redbox »

Great result!
If you can do something to hide that ugly black pin on wheel center I think you will gain a lot!

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Very beautiful indeed! I have a whole collection of F1 Bburago 1/24, never know whether I should do such an overhaul or leave them as originals. Your three Jaguars are splendid you should be very proud of the result.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss