Heller Ligier JS11 1/12 - update 01 May

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Heller Ligier JS11 1/12 - update 01 May

Post by Chinamalc »

A short while ago I received a set of replacement tyres from JamesB for the Heller Ligier JS11. The tyres are moulded in dark grey resin complete with sidewall markings (but not the manufacturers logo which are supplied as a decal), they look superb. So I got down my kit from the SABLE to have a look at them alongside the model and before I knew it I had started the engine……. So to speak.

I can’t believe how much these kits are now fetching on the bay of e, I got mine a looooong time ago in a remainder sale and there it sat on the shelf while I wondered how to handle those epically bad tyres.
So just to remind everyone of the great box art that promised so much!
IMG_5757.JPG
A couple of shots of the tyres, epically bad vs. epically good, I will let you decide which is which……
IMG_8461.JPG
IMG_8462.JPG
I assembled the basic pieces of the engine and gearbox, ideally you would replace the gearbox with the Tamiya version, but that was not an option I had, to be fair the engine is pretty good, it looks to be a direct copy of the Tamiya block, although the Tamiya ancillaries are better moulded with sharper detail.

The lower rear wishbone attachment plate between the gearbox end casing and main case needed modifying,to add more representative pick up points - and painting blue, so to avoid a difficult masking job I decided to make a new one. So I broke out the razor saw of DOOM.
IMG_5607.JPG
IMG_5608.JPG
IMG_5621.JPG
The slots at the bottom are the original lower rear wishbone attachment points.
Last edited by Chinamalc on Fri May 01, 2020 2:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Re: Heller Ligier JS11 1/12

Post by Chinamalc »

Before I made the cut, I drilled 0.8mm indexing holes through three fixing bolts to ensure it all went back together in the same orientation. The rear wing mounts on the rear casing so it needs to be square!
IMG_5624.JPG
The hole in the gearbox side was filled with plastic rod butted up against the opposite side (to stop it falling in) does anyone know what this hole is for? (It does not appear to be required) I hope not anyway!
Finished plate in 30thou plastic card, hex nuts sliced from hex rod
IMG_5690.JPG
In place with lower arm
IMG_5685.JPG
Attached to the underside of the gearbox is an oil tank unique to Ligier, the kit sump plate which I had just glued on before checking my reference pictures was removed (D’oh) and the tank made from 20thou, its temporarily in place for clearance check to the lower arms. Blu Tack is a great model aid!
IMG_5676.JPG
IMG_5673.JPG
Some detailing to the top of the gearbox, in hindsight it looks a little over scale, but its done now! I just noticed one piece has gone AWOL, but it will be hidden under the cross member.
IMG_5691.JPG
I also lowered the top of the oil tank and added some ribs.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Very nice start and attention to detail, will be following this build! :)
Take a stand!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

"epically good", my tyres :D I am overwhelmed with gratefulness! :oops: :D
Thanks!
But even more overwhelmed with the approach: I see a late seventies F1 workshop, but with polystyrene instead of aluminum. That gearbox and wishbones attachments, just wow!!!
BTW, I owe you pics of the car, sorry! :oops:
Keep going
J

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Very good choice for the WIP, the HELLer Kit. In Fact I'm currently building the Tamiya's 1/20 Ligier JS11 8) .

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

Nice one...such a beautiful car. Have one in my stash including a Tamiya Wolf as a donor kit...

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Flinstone
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
Great Britain

Post by Flinstone »

Malc,
Good to see you have started this at last. I often see you buy kits, but making them is better!

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Thanks guys.

I have modified the rear beam, aerofoiling the body supports and building up the ends to add support for the radius arm attachments. The rear arms (part 61) in the kit do not appear in period photos so I will not fit these (lucky because one was missing in my kit…!)
IMG_5692.JPG
1979 02 04 Interlagos Brazil 01.jpg
(Second round - 1979 Brazilian GP)
Rear beam with additional pivot points added to the rear side of the beam, the originals remain on the front side, (see photo further below)
IMG_5657.JPG
I also separated the exhaust tips from each other – part 92
IMG_5693.JPG
And glued them to the main pipes, a new support is made for the exhaust tips - to go on the rear beam, the moulded in support was smoothed off the exhaust and the joints filled with Milliput
IMG_5614.JPG
IMG_8424.JPG

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Exhaust support in place and on the front side of the beam I added the anti roll bar, the kit only supplies the actuating levers
IMG_5660.JPG
I tend to jump around a bit, to allow the current piece to dry, or allow thinking time for the next steps, although I will try to group the photos together to show the progression of each part in a single post.
So attention turned to the seat. The moulded on belts were removed by scraping and sanding, the ghost of the removed detail is left making it hard to see when to stop sanding.
IMG_5617.JPG
The back of the seat has no sides and the see through look of the kit seat is not very scale, so I blanked each side off with plastic card and added Milliput over the sides to fill out the shape to better represent the real thing. The sharp top edge was removed , filled with a piece of scrap card and rounded over.
IMG_5672.JPG
So back to the engine, some other small details were added to the engine ancillaries along with a fuel pump which Heller represented with a hexagon
IMG_5631.JPG
Tube and rod glued together in to a fuel pump and added to the ancillarydrive
IMG_5637.JPG
Underneath
IMG_5635.JPG

Topic author
Chinamalc
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest

Post by Chinamalc »

Opposite side – I also added the bell housing fixing boss with a piece of thick card and slices of hex rod to simulate fixings top and bottom
IMG_5634.JPG
So now a plea for help, has anyone got the Japanese F1 Modeling Vol 19? This one:-
F1 Modeling Vol 19.jpg
If you have, can you have a look at the JS11/15 pages and let me know if there are any detail pictures of the car?

Malc.