1/20 Mclaren MP4/5b

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes AMG F1
United States of America

Re: 1/20 Mclaren MP4/5b

Post by bojangle5 »

They are just some 5/32 rod with paperclips for the springs. They hats are made from the unused plastic kit brakes. I still need to finish the left side. Here's a fitment photo. Hard to get a decent photo of them...

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

Both sides done (dry fit). Its a tight fit but a fit none the less... And as I suspected virtually invisible even without the rear fill panels installed... Also made a start on the wiring.

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

Its not much but its honest work....

mr68gts
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by mr68gts »

If I may offer an opinion, loose the back grounds in your photos. It disrupts what your really trying to let us see. The pictures of the engine in white background let us see more of the model over the busy-ness of the background which blurs (or hides) the subject. The white back ground also allows more light to reflect on the subject so the photographs don't appear so dark. What I can see of your work looks good!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Updates look good! And thanks for the detailed pics to show how you do the springs.

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

mr68gts wrote:If I may offer an opinion, loose the back grounds in your photos. It disrupts what your really trying to let us see. The pictures of the engine in white background let us see more of the model over the busy-ness of the background which blurs (or hides) the subject. The white back ground also allows more light to reflect on the subject so the photographs don't appear so dark. What I can see of your work looks good!
Yeah I'm not the best photographer and need to build a proper light box... Everything so far has been with my Iphone XR... Once its finished I'll break out a real camera.
stubeck wrote:Updates look good! And thanks for the detailed pics to show how you do the springs.
Thanks its been slow going but progress is being made...

I ran out of connectors for the last electronics box.... So waiting on those again...

Does anyone have a DIY for AN fittings? The resin ones available from Top Studio seem to be priced a little high for what they are...

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

The intake might get re-done. There’s way more texture with the paint I used than advertised. The carbon didn’t lay down very well either... At some point I’m going to have to make some compromises and the intake may be my breaking point... I have a spare (I think) intake so I’ll make the decision to re-do it after it gets cleared.

Thoughts on the top color are welcome. I’ve only seen a handful of pictures of the actual intake. It seems to be a very light eggshell white with a hint of yellow.

I haven’t added the PE parts to it yet since it’s not cleared and I’m still on the fence about re-doing it...

Electricals for fun.

Also started a building a light box. These are just taken in front of an off white piece of construction paper I stole from my nephew...
Sorry Roman... (He’s 5 and easily coerced)

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

Teaser (it's all I have update wise...)

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

Got the topside of the diffuser covered.That huge panel line I thought I had filled crept its way through... I'm leaving it. The underside is going to be a slightly more challenging... Also got the brake light mounted. A pretty fiddly job but its done and fairly straight.

Heres a photo dump.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Nice update! Really liking the detailed pictures you're able to give.