59hrld
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alan jones
Netherlands

how to glue seatbelts

Post by 59hrld »

What glue (if any) do you use for seatbelts made from fabrick?
Like te stuff that comes with 1/12 MFH f1 cars.

Richard

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Re: how to glue seatbelts

Post by Corpsegrinder »

I use CA glue, but might not be the best thing. I have to keep it pressed long time before it stays in place.Curious to know what others use.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

Topic author
59hrld
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Richard
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Alan jones
Netherlands

Post by 59hrld »

I to have used ca glue or super glue , i do believe that they are the same thing, also i have used wood glue....
The latter will unstick in time unfortunally.

Richard

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

59hrld wrote:I to have used ca glue or super glue , i do believe that they are the same thing, also i have used wood glue....
The latter will unstick in time unfortunally.

Richard
OK, I also wanted to try wood glue to test how it goes, but if you have had bad experience then I won't bother.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

You will get into trouble with every kind of liquid glue when trying to glue such type of seat belt, especially the cloth ones cause the liquid will soke into the cloth and leaves a dark area finaly. No good choice to use any kind of liquid glue for this, better you use double sided tape for it like MFH provides in their seatbelt sets. As your asking for the MFH stuff, use the provided 3M double sided tape and you might be happy, works on all other cloth material as well. Other choice is medical tape, like Leukoplast for example, buy it in white, paint it the colour you need and cut it to size, it`s self adhesive but might have white edges after cutting which needs some touch up finaly.
I only work with this MFH provided double sided tape and never had any issues with it, nice stuff, give it a try! ;)
Take a stand!

welby
F2
F2

Post by welby »

Hi all a good alternative to tape or liquid glue is contact adhesive it's gives a very strong bond indeed and can be bought in small tubes from diy stores etc, one thing it can give off fumes so use the appropriate mask and ventilation although only small amounts of glue are needed.

daves
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: David Sorensen
United States of America

Post by daves »

Double side thin sticky clear tape works the best for me.

Dave

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

I work out where I want the buckles to be positioned and then drill a small hole in the seat. I then put a tiny drop of CA in to the hole from below the seat and sit the buckle in place. I then drill a hole where the belt sits and put a tiny amount in that hole to hold the belt down.
Doing it like this allows me to control the amount of glue used and avoids overspill of the glue.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

daveyman wrote:I work out where I want the buckles to be positioned and then drill a small hole in the seat. I then put a tiny drop of CA in to the hole from below the seat and sit the buckle in place. I then drill a hole where the belt sits and put a tiny amount in that hole to hold the belt down.
Doing it like this allows me to control the amount of glue used and avoids overspill of the glue.
Wow this is a never heard and very ingenious trick! Never thought of it, I might try next time I am working on a seat with belts and buckles!

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

I use "thick" superglue. Thin superglue will get sucked up by the fabric immeditaley and will make the fabric stiff and may darken the material...

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details