Deathmobile 2020

Finished models...

Topic author
badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Deathmobile 2020

Post by badun »

Background: I suck at building autos. I always, always, always find a way to screw them up. About a year ago I took a break from them and started building military kits for the first time since I was kid. I find that there's little pressure to be perfect because flat paints and camo/weathering cover up just about any flaw in craftsmanship. But I've still got a stash of cars that I haven't screwed up yet and I still buy the occasional kit. In September of 2019 I read an article about the "the blackest and mattest acrylic paint on the planet." Then I read about the Airfix Heinkel He111 H-6 Motörhead “Bomber” Special, a tribute to the 40th anniversary of Motorhead's classic "Bomber" album. That got me thinking about using the black paint in the article to paint the Motorhead bomber so that it would be blacker than the blackest black. Unfortunately, the Black 3.0 paint was out of stock so I had to settle for the Black 2.0. Then Airfix delayed the kit until Spring of 2020.

What's this got to do with F1? Not a damn thing! But I had the black paint and it occurred to me that I had a MM STR5 that I screwed up (one time the paint and twice the decals) and that's when I got the inspiration for the Deathmobile 2020. I'd already applied the CF decals so I kept them. I left off various suspension bits and geegaws because I was going for simplicity and I was lazy. The Death logo is from a 90's death metal band (RIP Chuck Schuldiner) and the reaper is just some picture I found. The cross, sickle, and squiggly bits are from a font pack that I purchased. All decals are actually self-stick vinyl that I made with my vinyl cutter. It's not the blackest car ever, it's incomplete, and the front wheels don't touch the ground but I'm happy with my Deathmobile and glad that I can finally toss out a car kit box.

What's next? I got some Black 3.0 and I'm about to give up on Airfix so I may make my own Motorhead tribute (although the Warpig will be a challenge to cut). I may also use the black on the SimilR Pescarolo that I screwed up (2 paint jobs and 2 decal sets) and make it a black metal tribute to Darkthrone. Or maybe Abbath since his logo is way easier to reproduce. One of these days I'll get back to work on car kits and get one done right!

SanMarino
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Re: Deathmobile 2020

Post by SanMarino »

badun wrote:........One of these days I'll get back to work on car kits and get one done right!
Until then, I am enjoying your resourcefulness and creativity.

Belugawrx
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Belugawrx
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Wolf Williams Lotus
Canada

Post by Belugawrx »

Cool... I bet it looks great on the coffee table 8)
Cheers
Bruce Coy

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

Now that is cool, I don't care who you are! It sure looks better this way than throw against a wall out of frustration! Not that I have ever done that! :roll:

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

It's so "Human", welldone 8) ! By the Way, have the front left Tyre and the rear left Tyre changed Places?

Topic author
badun
Team Owner
Team Owner
Your Name: Bryan Duncan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: All-time favorite is Senna but I don't cheer for a particular driver or team any longer. I just want to see good races with multiple teams capable of winning!
United States of America

Post by badun »

Thanks for the positive comments! The Deathmobile is actually sitting on my desk at work. It's a good conversation starter. And yes, I did swap front and rear tires! Not sure how I missed that. I was probably so relieved that I hadn't dropped it yet that I didn't give it much scrutiny once I thought it was done.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Cool idea ! Looks great !

Manu
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by Manu »

You got great taste, this F1 is...Symbolic ;)
RIP Chuck,

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

This Black 2.0 does not look THAT black.. ;)
But real creativity on the model! Looks cool.

Now after this and the MadMax car, someone just needs to build a steampunk F1, and a Blade Runner / Cyberpunk F1 car!
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)