Studio 27 Stewart SF-3

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Studio 27 Stewart SF-3

Post by stubeck »

As part of Lezdep's sale, I managed to get the Stewart SF-3 and admittedly I'm a few days late with the WIP. This has been a kit I've wanted since I started building 20 years ago. In late 98, we finally got Speedvision at my house, and I decided to watch the last race of the F1 season at Suzuka. Growing up near Watkins Glen I always liked road courses, and when I started sim racing in the mid 90s in NASCAR Racing, I always did well on them. I still remember the crazy statistic of how many different tire compounds Good Year had brought to the race to try to help Schumacher win the title, as a NASCAR fan I never had really thought of tires like this at all since everything was so standardized. Add in the return of the US Grand Prix in 2000 to pique my interest as well.

I needed a team or at least a driver to follow in 1999. I decided I couldn't immediately follow McLaren or Ferrari, so went a bit further down the grid. Stewart Grand Prix impressed me and I liked Rubens. Over time I learned about the aftermarket for these types of kits, but unfortunately it was too late to easily find the Stewart kit at that time. Then the inevitable nervousness of building a kit I want to do well on meant I pushed back on getting the kit. I don't want to say I'm confident now, but I guess my standards have gone down a bit. I now know that the only way to get better is by continuing to build kits, and I might as well start with this one.

I got a great deal on the kit because it was partially started, and I've started on getting the paint off of it. Its currently in a brake fluid bath, but its not coming off very easily. I'll post some pics later tonight of the latest paint removal steps I'm on.

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Re: Studio 27 Stewart SF-3

Post by Flemming »

Hi

As long as it is resin or metal, you can dump the parts in cellulose thinners which will remove the paint in seconds.

Flemming

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I would also recommend to try isopropyl alcohol >90%. It removed some hard paints as well

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Would this work, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip ... /100198758? Getting anything above 91% isopropyl alcohol here is tough.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

stubeck wrote:Would this work, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip ... /100198758? Getting anything above 91% isopropyl alcohol here is tough.
NO, don’t use lacquer thinner on resin. It might damage parts. Ok for metal parts, but not
for resin, from my experience.

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

I have used brakefuid on resin with no ill effects. But don't hold it in the fluid too long.
Submerge the parts in brake fluid, and once the surface becomes wavy, use a tooth brush to agitate it further, and and after a an hour or so take it out, wash with water (use lots of water, and make sure you get all of the brake fluid out), and use a piece of plastic to remove all paint from the resin.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I'd specially listen to the former owner (Lezdep) as he surely nows what's on the car :D
And yes, beware of strong thinners on resin :!:
Brake fluid also depends on what experience we have, each one. We don't probably test many of them, so we can get lucky or not. The one I tried even managed to melt Tamiya plastic...
Nice story, Stubeck! :D no wonder the Stewart catched your eye. And yes, how fast time passes!! :mrgreen:
Go for it!! whatever the flaws, you'll learn for next kit

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Yep, it’s been in brake fluid for 48 hours now and it’s still fine. Lacquer thinner isn’t what comes up when I search for cellulose thinner which is why I linked to it. I did order some off of amazon that will be here eventually.

For the piece of plastic to remove paint, is this just a piece of sprue, or what are you using to get the paint removed without damaging the plastic?

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Well,I just use a piece of plastic that I used to open iPhones. :)
The reason to use a plastic piece is that I fear a metal piece might scratch the model.

You can remove paint from plastic pieces with brakefluid, but they cannot soak in fluid too long, as the paint begins to eat into the parts, and they also become soft but brittle.

I am not very good at painting, so I have become good at removing paint :)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »