f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Oopsy

Post by f1m »

Guess who forgot to set up Google Analytics when I updated the site....
GA
GA

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Re: Oopsy

Post by BMW »

It happens...
You know, Google Analytics can track user location without bringing up the the pop asking users for their location on each visit ;)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Topic author
f1m
FIA President
FIA President
Your Name: Eric Aitala
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by f1m »

Is it still doing that? I'm not seeing it anymore so I thought I fixed it... its also not GA doing that per se...

I'll see if I can fix it.

e
BMW wrote:It happens...
You know, Google Analytics can track user location without bringing up the the pop asking users for their location on each visit ;)

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

???????????????????????????????

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Orso wrote:

???????????????????????????????
There is an occasional (or was, I should say) popup asking the user (ie. you and me) if the site can track the users location.
I was saying that that function is not really needed as Google Analytics can do pretty much the same without asking for permission.

Of course, the location saved is simply "a user from this city has visited F1M.com" not "Hieronymus Karl Friedrich from 3 Apfelwg, Freiburg, who uses shoe size 42, and is divorced and has two children, has visited the site" :)
Currently building:
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

BMW wrote:There is an occasional (or was, I should say) popup asking the user (ie. you and me) if the site can track the users location.
I was saying that that function is not really needed as Google Analytics can do pretty much the same without asking for permission.

Of course, the location saved is simply "a user from this city has visited F1M.com" not "Hieronymus Karl Friedrich from 3 Apfelwg, Freiburg, who uses shoe size 42, and is divorced and has two children, has visited the site" :)
Very precisely, humorously and succinctly put BMW... :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

taxidermist
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
Germany

Post by taxidermist »

"Hieronymus Karl Friedrich from 3 Apfelwg, Freiburg, who uses shoe size 42, and is divorced and has two children, has visited the site" :)

Unfortunately collecting these kind of informations and others, to create individual profiles of users, is exact what Google and other companies are doing :|

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

taxidermist wrote:"Hieronymus Karl Friedrich from 3 Apfelwg, Freiburg, who uses shoe size 42, and is divorced and has two children, has visited the site" :)

Unfortunately collecting these kind of informations and others, to create individual profiles of users, is exact what Google and other companies are doing :|
That is not entirely correct.

1) Google analytics is not used to create web user profiles, so in this instance my statement is correct.
2) Google does create user profiles, however it still does not care about a person per se, only their profile. ie: user number 324545 uses shoe size 42, is divorced and has two children, loves F1, modeling etc. etc. This is created using a users Google profile, and/or a users cookies and recognised patterns of other users (ie: "user 324545 visited crash.net , autosport.com and racefans.net therefore he must be an F1 fan" the user has furthermore visited websites related to kid toys, therefore he must have children, but has not visited a flower website leading up to valentine therefore must not be married, etc. etc. etc.)

It is important to make that distinction, because there are companies that capture a user's exact information for further use *cough* facebook *cough* and then get caught selling that information *cough* facebook* to other companies *cough* cambridge analytica* including for political use.

Not saying BTW that Google is not evil, only that there are companies that are much more evil :)
Data privacy is a very important aspect of out lives, and it is important not to have any misconceptions/confusions about it
Currently building:
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)