Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Looking for a good and easy 3D design software

Post by Joaquin »

Hi all,

This winter I want to learn about design parts for 3D printing. I am a complete newbie in that world but definitely I want to be able to draw parts for my models.

As I haven't any experience I would like to know your opinions about the most suitable software. I am looking for something free of charge, as easiest as possible to learn but powerful enough to design what we can need for our models. For example, I would like to create the parts to do a conversion of the Ligier JS11 to the JS11/15 or to get a Renault RS10 from the Tamiya RS20.

I haven't a 3D printer and I don't want to buy one so the compatibility of the software with the hardware used by printing companies is important.

EDIT: I am seeing that there are several softwares to create a 3D model from pictures. In my example of the JS11/15 It could be great to take pictures of a 1/43 diecast model to get a basic 3D model of the engine bonnet and then make corrections. What do you think about this?
Last edited by Joaquin on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: Looking for a good and easy 3D design software

Post by bestbalsakits »

if i was to start over again, i'd try sketchup... Maybe not the most powerfull, but surely one of the easiest & surely cheapest.
Compability: you only need software that can export to stl file, cause that is what your printer will need.

I use inventor, but that is very very expensive, and not at all worth its money: counter intuitive and can't do things you cannot imagine especially seen its price. I've heard same conclusions from pro users.

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

43rdMichael
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by 43rdMichael »

I’ve heard good things about rhinocerous.

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Blender is free and very powerful, and there's a lot of free tutorials for it in Youtube. Just take a notice to get tutorials that are about the same version you've installed, because the menus layout vary a lot at each update. Another good free option is the Fusion 360 student version. Both can save models in .stl format, which is compatible with all printers.

About modeling based in pictures, or photo scanning, it's interesting, and I've seen some good results, since you have the correct light and camera setup. But the generated mesh must have to be rebuilt in lower resolution (or "retopologized") to be modified. I would take much care about using 1/43 kits as a base for larger scales, as the small scale requires some shape adaptations that aren't accurate when scaled up.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Blender never made sense to be even after watching hours of videos but Sketchup was easy enough to start drawing in minutes. I have 3D printed multiple items that I drew in Sketchup.

Jordan

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

I would learn Blender.
Sketchup is easy to learn, but in my experience extremely frustrating to use accurately. Things always seem to move when you do not, and complicated shapes are ...complicated to make.
It's free, and there are endless tutorials online.

I have looked at software that creates 3D models from actual models, and its not very good. For simple objects, yes potentially, but nothing complicated.
Most of the 3D scanners are not even that good for small objects, unless you spend real money.

I too have been thinking about the same as you, but have not found any easy solution except to learn 3D software (which I am doing now) and only once I am happy with my skills, get a DLP 3D printer. :)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

BMW wrote:I would learn Blender.
Sketchup is easy to learn, but in my experience extremely frustrating to use accurately. Things always seem to move when you do not, and complicated shapes are ...complicated to make.
It's free, and there are endless tutorials online.
An other false statment about sketchup....
Its possible to build accurate and perfect designed stuff with sketchup without frustration!
And it is much easier as the overloaded other 3d programs like blender, rhino, freecad....
Just my two cents...
Last edited by scaleautofactory on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bestbalsakits
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bestbalsakits »

scaleautofactory wrote:An other false statment about sketchup....
Its possible to build accurate and perfect designed stuff with sketchup without frustration!
And it is much easier as the overloaded other 3d programs like blender, rhino, freecad....
Just my two cents...
what i said, with your design(s) in mind ;-)

Wim
Visit www.bestbalsakits.com for more hours of enjoyment.
Now also on Facebook ...

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

I would also try Blender. Lots of Tutorial and more important a great community to aks questions and you will have alot (!!) of questions. But since Blender is a full 3D package you should really just concetrate on modelling tutorials because that is what you want. I you watch videos like "getting started" you will probably get overwhelmed but stuff you wont need.
But in the end it's just a tool you need to learn. I personally use Maya3D but that is really expensive otherwise it could help you :)
This is what I do www.3dgrafix.de and no the cars are not modelled by myself but taken from a database or supplied by customers.

good luck

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

madbox
Formula e
Formula e

Post by madbox »

I use Autocad, Sketchup and Fusion 360, the quickest to learn is Sketchup, best free for 3D printing is fusion 360,
but the hardest to learn and is still good for 3D print and design is Autocad.... For what you would need Fusion360 will deliver and Sketchup is not far behind it....