F3
F3
Your Name: Sérgio Pais
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Portugal

Honda RC166 - 1:12 Tamiya

Post by lupisenna »

Hi everyone!

I've finished this beautifull bike last week and it is a great model complemented by the Tamiya's aftermarket.
I need to finish the cowl, but I'll put at side of the model.

Zero paints and Tamiya's colors and... hope you like it! :mrgreen:

Cheers
Sérgio

Last edited by lupisenna on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

blakebirk
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Dan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari fan
United States of America

Re: Honda RC166 - 1:12 Tamiya

Post by blakebirk »

looks great! nicely done.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

I love this model and think you did an outstanding job on it. I really don't want to bash your build because it is stunning. However I have some real heartburn with Tamiya 1:12 bike kits and it is all Tamiya's fault. Why the heck do they use phillips head screws in highly visible places on the bike, In this case it is the axles. It really stands out. Why could they have not done something better for the axle or at least had a plastic cap of a hex head bolt to go over the top of the screw.

Topic author
lupisenna
F3
F3
Your Name: Sérgio Pais
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Portugal

Post by lupisenna »

Thank you for your comments! :D
PeteJ wrote:However I have some real heartburn with Tamiya 1:12 bike kits and it is all Tamiya's fault. Why the heck do they use phillips head screws in highly visible places on the bike, In this case it is the axles. It really stands out. Why could they have not done something better for the axle or at least had a plastic cap of a hex head bolt to go over the top of the screw.
This is really a big fault...

Finally I finished all and I think that I took better photos... :mrgreen:

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Looks great. Seriously, if you said it was a real bike I would have believed you!

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

PeteJ wrote:I love this model and think you did an outstanding job on it. I really don't want to bash your build because it is stunning. However I have some real heartburn with Tamiya 1:12 bike kits and it is all Tamiya's fault. Why the heck do they use phillips head screws in highly visible places on the bike, In this case it is the axles. It really stands out. Why could they have not done something better for the axle or at least had a plastic cap of a hex head bolt to go over the top of the screw.
I have built quite a few 1/12 bike kits from Tamiya and others and they all have this problem to a varying degree. I have used these:

https://hlj.com/hex-nuts-photo-etched-p ... tsttd23040

or similar. You could do the whole bike in 20 minutes.

BTW, it is a very nice build. I have that one in the pile along with all of the aftermarket.

Regards,

joe.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

jaydar wrote:
PeteJ wrote:I love this model and think you did an outstanding job on it. I really don't want to bash your build because it is stunning. However I have some real heartburn with Tamiya 1:12 bike kits and it is all Tamiya's fault. Why the heck do they use phillips head screws in highly visible places on the bike, In this case it is the axles. It really stands out. Why could they have not done something better for the axle or at least had a plastic cap of a hex head bolt to go over the top of the screw.
I have built quite a few 1/12 bike kits from Tamiya and others and they all have this problem to a varying degree. I have used these:

https://hlj.com/hex-nuts-photo-etched-p ... tsttd23040

or similar. You could do the whole bike in 20 minutes.

BTW, it is a very nice build. I have that one in the pile along with all of the aftermarket.

Regards,

joe.
I've got a couple of them in my stash with all the aftermarket stuff. I do use Photoetched but plan on turning my own axles when the time comes. I have looked at a number of photos and the axles seem to have castellated nuts and either a cotter pin or safety wire. A small point but it might be worth the effort to make them for this bike. Again, this is a great looking build and one to be proud of.

Marcel
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Marcel
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sebastian Vettel
Germany

Post by Marcel »

Nice build. I have it on my desk in work, too. I use all 4 detail sets. The Chain is a pain ;-)

Marcel

indygp2001
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by indygp2001 »

Sergio, your Model is a Masterpiece! - Great Job...
I almost purchased that kit simply based on the great aftermarket Tamiya parts alone.
What my beef is - is that Tamiya didn't adorn some of their 1/12 F1, etc., kits in some "Detail Sets" with the same attention of detail / Quality that they used when doing your kit. They really missed the boat.
I almost purchased the rivet detail set made for your Honda to use on some of the F1s as they are some of the best turned parts I have ever seen! Oh well...

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Wonderful build!!!