Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Gasly changes with Albon

Post by racingkars »

Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

DiemenRacer
Midfield
Midfield

Re: Gasly changes with Albon

Post by DiemenRacer »

Interesting. I guess this is a trial by fire for Albon. Seems like a nice kid, I hope his career survives. Kvyat would have made more sense to me.
Mark

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Not following their logic. Why replace one rookie with another ? I know Gasly had a year with Toro Rosso, but he is still a rookie
for RedBull. Albon is even more rookie then Gasly. Why not Kvyat, who can even challenge Max, imho. The only reasoning I can
see is that Albon will not be allowed to challenge Max, but could be used as submissive helper and sacrificial goat in races and
hopefully would be a bit faster then Gasly. I guess RedBull is all about Max now and Kvyat would be too "dangerous" for that
"harmony". Really disappointed and still think Kvyat deserves that seat much more.

Ajl
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus and Ayrton Senna
Portugal

Post by Ajl »

Another pilote burned by the expert Marko!!!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I like the change. I think Albon is ready for this. He's relatively old to be a STR driver at 23, so its not like Kyvat when he was promoted at 21 to the senior team. I also feel that as this was the decision made by the team they've worked with him to ensure he's ready. I really like him, but you also have to remember that he almost wasn't an F2 driver last year, and almost wasn't an F1 driver this year. If he does crumble, I'm sure like many others who haven't made it in the Red Bull system he'll get a good career somewhere else.

I feel that calling RBR out for promoting drivers prematurely is a bit unfair, and it feels like Ted Kravitiz's "you're destroying these guys F1 careers!" rant after Kyvat was dropped (which turned out to be incorrect as well.) Verstappen was promoted for contractual reasons to the senior team after Kyvat had a rough couple of races (then won his first race, something no one can say Kyvat would have done), and Gasly has been pretty bad for most of this year. Prior to that, they had pushed out Speed from the junior team halfway through the year, and Bourdais as well. While I liked both those drivers, they don't fit the mold.

This is what we want in F1, the tough calls to be made and the dog eat dog mentality, but whenever it happens the British press seems to lose their mind for some reason over it. The aformentioned rant from Kravitz was shut down by Horner simply saying "if they were good enough for F1, someone else would pick them up." Those who were good enough have been, and those who weren't simply weren't.

I'd much rather they move drivers around like this then pull a BAR and keep someone like Davidson as a test driver behind the scenes for 5 years for example.

Jayban
F2
F2

Post by Jayban »

Ajl wrote:Another pilote burned by the expert Marko!!!
Are you questioning his credentials?

Apart from his racing career (ex Formula 1 driver, Le Mans winner and Targa-Florio outright lap record holder) he talent spotted Sebastien Vettel. I think he has at least a vague idea about success. :D

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

Jayban wrote:
Ajl wrote:Another pilote burned by the expert Marko!!!
Are you questioning his credentials?

Apart from his racing career (ex Formula 1 driver, Le Mans winner and Targa-Florio outright lap record holder) he talent spotted Sebastien Vettel. I think he has at least a vague idea about success. :D
Marko has been doing bad comments about Gasly in public, making more and more pressure over him instead helping his driver and commenting only in private mode. This way only helps to destroy a career. The new driver is a complete rookie so I don't think he is going to get any special result, 5 or 6 position, not much more. Is it going to be a significant benefit for RB in their fight with Ferrari for the second position in the Makes Championship? I don't think so. Marko is only showing their drivers how hard he can be. What a stupid guy.

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

I guessed this might happen. Unfortunately Pierre has had a mishap too many...
Not the greatest entry to Red Bull he would of wished for. He's not the first demotee,
and he certainly won't be the last either. Red Bull are in the unique position of being
able to pick and choose their drivers... SOOO... Good luck Alex, don't waste this... erm!
golden oppurtunity... as they say in the Carlesberg advert... Probably! :roll:
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

If I was the manager of an aspiring F1 driver, I would be sure to scream "anywhere but RedBull" to my driver.
RedBull insists on their drivers performing 100% at all times and when they cannot, ditches them with no question.
Many times drivers have good and bad periods in their lives, and they need time or support to recover.
Red Bull does not allow drivers to mature in the team, in the car, and to mature themselves as persons.
Kvyat was dumped from Red Rull to Torro Rosso, then completely, and now we are discussing whether he should have gotten the seat instead of Gasly. How long did it take? 1 and a half years?

I think it is very bad form of Red Bull to replace drivers mid season. It shows a complete disrespect for a team member.
While I sadly cannot rate Gasly very high, I do think he deserves better than this, and hope he proves Red Bull wrong.

Drivers like Hamilton,Vettel, etc. are 1 in a million, and so you cannot expect to have to Max Verstappens at one given time.
Yes, we had Alonso and Hamilton, Prost and Senna etc. but not only are those cases rare they, more often than not, ended in tears for either the drivers or the team. Red Bull have also not shown they are capable of running two drivers at any given time either (Vettel vs. Webber or Verstappen vs. Riccardo) so if it happens that they do end up having two Verstappens, one or both of them will cause havoc in the team.
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)