1/20 Mclaren MP4/5b

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes AMG F1
United States of America

1/20 Mclaren MP4/5b

Post by bojangle5 »

Hello all, I'm new around here. I'm lucky enough to live in Austin, Texas so F1 is almost literally in my back yard!
Not much building going on in this first post but there will be lots more to come!
Any questions, comments, suggestions are most welcome!

The 1/20 Mclaren MP4/5b by Tamiya

(Box pic for posterity as I don't have the Driver/Engineer version)

I made a half-hearted attempt at this one back in 2013. Oddly enough these kits don't like being dropped on hardwood floors from counter top heights... Who knew?? I shelved the project due to anger and sadness... Long story short I'm back for round 2. To get things started I salvaged all the parts I could from the first attempt. I was able to save the brakes, velocity stacks/throttle butterflys, driveshafts, and all the radiator mesh. As for new parts I've got the Top Studio engine and cockpit detail sets, as well as the full carbon decal set from Studio 27 (Which are still AWOL on their trip across the pond from Japan). I plan on using Zero Paints MP4 Red and Brilliant White with a 2k clear over everything. Still need to source the proper M@r!b*r* decals and the paints but I think I'm at a point where I can start building.

Parts:

First up is getting the front wing separated from the main body. The 2 small upper flaps need to be removed to make way for the thinner photo etched flaps. These parts will be the first to receive Tamiya Fine Surface Primer.

Last edited by bojangle5 on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Steffen_T
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: 1/20 Mclaren MP4/5b

Post by Steffen_T »

Hi bojangle,

first of all, welcome to f1m! I hope you will have a great time here.

There might be not much building right now, but what I see looks very promising.

Nice to see you have separated the front wing. For a detailed build of this car I always find it better to have these two parts separate.

Best of luck for the next steps!

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

I've started the prep work on the engine/gearbox. The rear wing stays/jacking points need to be removed to make way for the PE parts from Top Studio. The goal was to remove the stays but leave their mounting post so to speak. This way the PE parts have some meat to grab onto instead of just being glued flush to a flat gear box.

Filing. No turnin back now...

Image1

This is top view looking down at one half of the mounting post. The red is removed material.

One done.

Both halves done. Once I get to mounting the new stays I can trim the top of the mounting post to length. The rest of the main engine components have been trimmed and are ready for primer.

Last edited by bojangle5 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.Chriss
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Michael
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by M.Chriss »

Looking great so far. I'm sure you will have better luck with it this time.
Michael Chriss

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

Nice start!

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Very nice subject and great upgrades.
Can't wait 8)

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

Thanks guys!

So I've got my order in for the paints. Unfortunately they are back-ordered. I emailed HWUSA and they said they were processing a new order and that my colors should be stocked in a couple weeks. Fingers crossed on that... Still no sign of the carbon from Japan as well...

I've still got things to keep me busy though. I've got the topside of the body, the front wing and some side panels primed and ready to be sanded and smoothed. There's a small chip on the right side of the nose that will need to be filled and smoothed. Also one small rough spot on the leading edge of the right side pod that will get smoothed out.

Also got the engine/gear box primed and dry fit. I'll do some filling and smoothing on these pieces as well. By in large though they look pretty good.

Shiny!

CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

It's looking good and you're making quick progress, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Topic author
bojangle5
F2
F2
United States of America

Post by bojangle5 »

Small bits of progress. Paints are stuck in customs coming from the UK. I've got some 1.6 and 1.25 ml electircal connectors from Top Studio on the way. The carbon has arrived in good condition, and is ready for action. If anyone would like some scans of the carbon/instructions let me know and I can make that happen. (I have scans from most of the PE instructions as well If anyone is in need/want.)

My original plan for the rear wing stays didn't pan out. So I trimmed down what I had left flat and made a new post. It's not 100% vertical but it is very close. The Jacking points line up with their respective cut outs in the under tray, so I'm happy with it.

The tub has been primed and painted flat black.

Ready for the carbon! That thankfully wasn't bent on arrival...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

As a heads up with Hobbyworld, if its out of stock they typically receive stock the following month as he orders on a monthly basis. The updates are looking good!