Finished models...

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Re: Tamiya Williams FW13B 1/20 scale

Post by Corpsegrinder »

vekkuli wrote:Very nice Work 8) . By the Way, does the Front sit on It's Wing's Endplates? Mine did.
Mine does as well! I trimmed/shaved the endplates in the bottom part so that they are now very close to the ground but at least does not let the car fully sit on them.

Very nice build, I love the yellow kevlar decals on the sidepods and also the cover on the engine inlet trumpets...how did you make that, it looks stunning! Great stuff.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

marlborored
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren, Senna; Lotus, Clark
United States of America

Post by marlborored »

Very well done!!

Topic author
Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

Corpsegrinder wrote:
vekkuli wrote:Very nice Work 8) . By the Way, does the Front sit on It's Wing's Endplates? Mine did.
Mine does as well! I trimmed/shaved the endplates in the bottom part so that they are now very close to the ground but at least does not let the car fully sit on them.

Very nice build, I love the yellow kevlar decals on the sidepods and also the cover on the engine inlet trumpets...how did you make that, it looks stunning! Great stuff.
The side pods are sprayed with Tamiya acrylic mixture x-57.4 and x-6.1 , no decals.
The inlets are brushed with Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver. If you haven't tried this stuff it brushes really well on smaller parts. You just slightly buff them with a cotton swab after it dries. Really like the stuff. Although it doesn't spray the greatest, tends to clog the tip. I just brush it on,used it on the exhaust also.

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Bonanza wrote: The inlets are brushed with Mr Metal Color Chrome Silver. If you haven't tried this stuff it brushes really well on smaller parts. You just slightly buff them with a cotton swab after it dries. Really like the stuff. Although it doesn't spray the greatest, tends to clog the tip. I just brush it on,used it on the exhaust also.
Wow great tip about the Metal Color Chrome Silver. The reason I have never tried it is because I do not have an airbrush and I read somewhere that Mr Metal Color series are best applied with an airbrush, not with a normal brush, that's what put me off and kept me away from buying it. But according to your comments it works just fine, so I will buy the chrome as soon as I have a chance. Thanks! ...oh and very well done with those painted kevlar-like sidepods, I could swear they were decals! Awesome.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

gderoo
Formula e
Formula e

Post by gderoo »

Wow,

I'm currently doing the same model. But I'm trying to do it all by brushing. I will also use the decals.
It's my first model since my childhood. so I'm new to the airbrushing, this model is a experiment and I will try to
use brushes, cans and airbrush when I'm ready.

wixy500
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: I don't have a set "favourite"
Australia

Post by wixy500 »

gderoo wrote:Wow,

I'm currently doing the same model. But I'm trying to do it all by brushing. I will also use the decals.
It's my first model since my childhood. so I'm new to the airbrushing, this model is a experiment and I will try to
Gdeeroo, don't be scared of Tamiya's TS rattle cans, they are very easy to use and a decent finish can be achieved. I built this very model many years ago and also used the decals for the blue, but rattle cans for the yellow & white, then Tamiya TS clear over the top. All "under the bodywork" stuff was done with brush. Granted, my build is not as good as Bonanza's here (and well done on that, very clean build!), but I reckon you'd be better off using using rattle cans instead of brush. And since you're using the blue decals, the masking line for the yellow doesn't have to be perfectly positioned because the blue decal will cover it up. Regardless what you choose, good luck!
20181004_221820 copy.jpg
Mark Wicks
http://www.wixy500.com
^ my model site/blog ^

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

wixy500 wrote:

Gdeeroo, don't be scared of Tamiya's TS rattle cans, they are very easy to use and a decent finish can be achieved. I built this very model many years ago and also used the decals for the blue, but rattle cans for the yellow & white, then Tamiya TS clear over the top. All "under the bodywork" stuff was done with brush. Granted, my build is not as good as Bonanza's here (and well done on that, very clean build!), but I reckon you'd be better off using using rattle cans instead of brush. And since you're using the blue decals, the masking line for the yellow doesn't have to be perfectly positioned because the blue decal will cover it up. Regardless what you choose, good luck!
20181004_221820 copy.jpg
First, congratulations to Bonanza on a masking job well done. Looks very nice. Second, to Wixy +1 on using Tamiya TS sprays as opposed to brush painting, even for a beginner, as you suggested to Gdeeroo. Your build looks quite good also, though I suspect those are aftermarket decals? F'Artifice? This kit has been languishing in my stash for years, but if it can be built to your standard using decals, I might have to pull it out. :wink:

Topic author
Bonanza
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Donovan
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Bonanza »

wixy500 wrote:

20181004_221820 copy.jpg
Thanks Wixy, yours looks great also. Totally agree with what you are recommending about spray cans and using the decals. There were times during this build when I questioned my decision on not using the decals :)

wixy500
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: I don't have a set "favourite"
Australia

Post by wixy500 »

tubegenius wrote: First, congratulations to Bonanza on a masking job well done. Looks very nice. Second, to Wixy +1 on using Tamiya TS sprays as opposed to brush painting, even for a beginner, as you suggested to Gdeeroo. Your build looks quite good also, though I suspect those are aftermarket decals? F'Artifice? This kit has been languishing in my stash for years, but if it can be built to your standard using decals, I might have to pull it out. :wink:
Not aftermarket, they were the original Tamiya kit decals :) . With the clear coat they've stood the test of time well as it's over 20 years since I built that kit. It's been stored in a dust free cabinet its entire life, usually with a cloth curtain across the front to keep the sunlight out.
Mark Wicks
http://www.wixy500.com
^ my model site/blog ^

DasWiesel
Formula e
Formula e
Your Name: Julian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Sauber
Germany

Post by DasWiesel »

Nice and clean!