1/12 Protar 3 Liter-12 Cylinder-Boxer-Two

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

1/12 Protar 3 Liter-12 Cylinder-Boxer-Two

Post by Fiatphile »

Geez, has been one of those months. Started w/a P34, have the chassis and engine block built, ordered a Up-Grade that cost a chunk and is now somewhere in a black hole! I then posted a continuation of a shelved Protar 126C and then after a day of messing with, I broke the body shell, the kit is old and the plastic brittle. The belly pan is supper warped and again boxed up, on shelf. :shock: So I am afraid to post anything else, but a builder can no set idle long. I have been amassing material f/a 312T4 project as you can see in the Questions Section, but I have another project that has been calling my name. I purchased this kit from Germany and they are hard to get in this condition. After I received, I went thru and then decided I would again go into the breech. So what is all this fuss about. A 1/12 Protar 312B2, and yes this is the version with the pistons/rod/crank in the block, hogs head fly wheel connecting to the tranny with gears in the trans. Like a Pocher, you build all that in the engine and no one will ever see, but you know it is in there :wink: . The kit is made up of 700 parts, and yes I know all the faults, but tell me who else makes the 312B w/the rear shock set up, the B2 had early on! Am working on a set of ICON Automotive Tires and Turned Rims. I built this kit back in 1978, but this one did not have the engine internals. Will be using a few parts from a Tamiya 312B to fix a few flaws, but other than that, she will be built as comes outta the box. Will post some photos soon :roll: , maybe.
Rick
I feel the need for speed.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: 1/12 Protar 3 Liter-12 Cylinder-Boxer-Two

Post by Fiatphile »

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Spent yesterday dressing the crank shaft and the lower engine block :shock: how many can say that while building that beast they are working on?
I hope to have the pistons/rods/connecting pins prepped and in the lower block today. Depends on what happens this afternoon, some pretty nasty weather heading my way.
Rick :D

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

If you are down south, my thoughts are with you. In Chicago, just lots of snow.
Joe.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

jaydar wrote:If you are down south, my thoughts are with you. In Chicago, just lots of snow.
Joe.
Thank you sir, that is were I am at. My thoughts too you as well, snow is no fun either.
Rick

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Engine block assembled. As anyone who has attempted building these old classic Protar kits can attest, one must take their time and fit before gluing. So far the block has been made up of 50 parts. Each one needed attention truing up and then gluing after checking the fit. Hoping to start painting by tomorrow. I will paint main portion of block w/Humbrol matt aluminum using a short stiff bristle brush. Going for that rough cast look. Balance of parts sprayed w/Alclaid metallics. I drilled out the spark plug holes to accept RB Motion turned plugs. I also drilled out to use Thunder Valley Trumpets. The ones in the kit are shall we say, very toy like. Then will move on to tranny/suspension. I have enjoyed working on this kit. Brings back memories. One of the things I have wrestled with is, the turned rims are just too gorgeous to paint. So after looking at every photo I could find. I think I will go for a little different look. :shock:
Rick

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

How about pictures of that rare kit?
Want to see that flat 12 growing.
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

OK, here is box top for kit. Will post photos soon of engine. :D

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

What came in the kit. I bought from Autograph in Germany. The kit is pristine and looks as if just popped yesterday. Paid a premium for it, but I am enjoying the build greatly. I down loaded the PDF from Modeler Site to see what he did with it. I will follow some tips, but I do not wish to get as involved w/all the mods. I am building a restored early version of the racer.