Ligier JS41 Academy Benetton B195 conversion

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Ligier JS41 Academy Benetton B195 conversion

Post by CTurbert »

I've decided to tackle something that requires a little more than a standard out of the box build. I had started this kit maybe 10-15 years ago and it had been sitting at my parents house. I've since gotten a hold of it and want to convert it to the Ligier JS41 which was virtually identical to the Benetton B195. I also saw this car live at the Canadian Grand Prix which was my first ever F1 race experience so there's a bit of nostalgia behind this build.

I will be using Scale Finishes RAL 5002 Ultramarine blue and aftermarket decals by Museum Collection. Luckily I was able to buy the last one from HLJ.com.

The kit is OK but it needs a lot of work:

- I started by gluing the engine cover to the monocoque as this will be a curbside build.
- The headrest doesn't even span the entire width of the airbox behind it so I enlarged it with filler (15 years ago) and sanded it down. I also used plastic card to add the missing side cushioning on the sides of the cockpit. I'll probably need to clean this up as the filler has some pinholes.
- While doing research and looking at other builds, I saw that the bulge on the top of the nose needed to be sanded down. I used 100 and 220 grit sandpaper followed by vigorous applications of 800 as I ran out of 320/400/600 grit.
- I also used a trick I saw from a build by Ron_Killings on another forum by cutting plastic card in the shape of the airbox step and filled the gaps with milliput.
- I re-scribed the panel lines but I think some of the panel lines next to the cockpit need to be filled.
- The bargeboards need to be smaller, but more research is needed for the exact size/shape.
- I will probably also drill a hole for the fuel filler cap which is represented by a 2D decal in the Academy kit.

ron_killings
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Charles Leclerc - Ferrari
Austria

Re: Ligier JS41 Academy Benetton B195 conversion

Post by ron_killings »

CTurbert wrote: - I also used a trick I saw from a build by Ron_Killings on another forum by cutting plastic card in the shape of the airbox step and filled the gaps with milliput.
Alsways nice to see that my work inspires someone.
I will follow this with interest. Some day i will do this conversion too.

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

ron_killings wrote:
CTurbert wrote: - I also used a trick I saw from a build by Ron_Killings on another forum by cutting plastic card in the shape of the airbox step and filled the gaps with milliput.
Alsways nice to see that my work inspires someone.
I will follow this with interest. Some day i will do this conversion too.
Thanks! Yes that helped to get the correct shape for the airbox.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Need decals? I DO have 8)

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

JamesB wrote:Need decals? I DO have 8)
I appreciate the offer but I already purchased a sheet from HobbyLink Japan. If I mess them up I'll know who to reach out to!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

OK, just whistle if needed 8)
BTW, some of those ut there are not fully complete.
BR
James

kimi_8
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: Paul
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Leclerc
Great Britain

Post by kimi_8 »

Are the decals complete with ciggie sponsors James? If so, please DM me, i have two of this kit and may well do the same conversion as the OP

appreciated :)

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

I managed to sand and shape the airbox step fairly successfully. I could probably extend the step backwards by a few mm. The headrest support filler fell off though so I'm redoing that with milliput, and also filling in a long NACA duct that appears at the tail end of the engine cover. That doesn't appear to be present on the Ligier JS41. I'm also planning to drill a hole for the fuel filler cap. Does anybody have advice on what to use for the cap itself?

There is also a long oval shaped bulge on the sides of the airbox right under the white Mugen Honda logo. I noticed that on the Ligier the bulge horizontally aligns with ground level, while the Benetton B195 bulge is slanted downward, probably due to the different engines. I think this might be a little too complicated to reshape so I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't bother me later down the road!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

kimi_8 wrote:Are the decals complete with ciggie sponsors James? If so, please DM me, i have two of this kit and may well do the same conversion as the OP

Yes, yes. Not just that: I also put the tyre decals. I remember I took special care in including all that others had forgotten. I remember myself digging into the books... I also put some minor sponsors that others overlooked.
I'll take a look on availability and PM you :D

Ed:
that's what I have, and yes they may be done.

Makes me want to make the car too... :lol: :mrgreen:

Topic author
CTurbert
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by CTurbert »

JamesB wrote:
kimi_8 wrote:Are the decals complete with ciggie sponsors James? If so, please DM me, i have two of this kit and may well do the same conversion as the OP

Yes, yes. Not just that: I also put the tyre decals. I remember I took special care in including all that others had forgotten. I remember myself digging into the books... I also put some minor sponsors that others overlooked.
I'll take a look on availability and PM you :D

Ed:
that's what I have, and yes they may be done.

Makes me want to make the car too... :lol: :mrgreen:
Wow that is awesome! I want to make a Canadian GP version of this car and I see your sheet includes the Pharmaprix logo (Quebec pharmacy), and others. I'll PM you.