Tamiya 1/12 1975 Team Tyrrell "Project 34"

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Tamiya 1/12 1975 Team Tyrrell "Project 34"

Post by Fiatphile »

F1 has been and continues too be the cutting edge of auto design and function. To say some of the designs go outside the box is no stretch of imagination.
September 1975 would bear witness to what many consider, one of the most unusual designs to compete in F1. The subject, Derek Gardner's Project 34, the Tyrrell P34 Six Wheel racer. No one had ever thought or seen such a racer put into F1 competition. The concept was simply genius. The idea was to put four small tires behind the nose of the car resulting in almost no drag or lift, as was happening with the front tires of the other cars. Also more road to tire contact was a bonus as well. These marvels were raced with many front of the pact finishes, at the Sweden GP, the Tyrrell P34 took a one-two finish. Jody Scheckter completed the season ranking 3rd place in the Driver's Standings, Patrick Depailler taking 4th. Tyrrell won 3rd place in Constructor's Standings. Issues with the car kept it from being first. Too validate the P34's efficacy, the FIA moved to ban Six Wheelers from Formula One during 1983. This means that the Tyrrell P34 Six Wheeler is the 1st and last, six wheeled F1 Machine. As a foot note, the bugs have been worked out with the machine and is considered one of todays most competitive/feared machine's raced in Classic F1 Car Competitions. I have always been armored to this sleek powerful beast and after a long pause and retirement, decided I once again would venture into F1 modeling with Tamiya's beautiful kit of this F1 Racer. I have chosen as my subject Jody Scheckter's #3. I am using the reissued version w/PE. So let the fun began :D .
Attachments
b_12036.jpg
I feel the need for speed.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Re: Tamiya 1/12 1975 Team Tyrrell "Project 34"

Post by Fiatphile »

Wow, 126 hits since yesterday. Seems many are interested. I went thru site and searched every thread for this platform and noticed my choice of Scheckter's, ride is a good one. Have started work on the power plant and hope to post some photos soon.

pgarat
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: PGarat
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, McLaren, Lotus…
Chris Amon, P.Depailler, James Hunt, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari, Ascari…
France

Post by pgarat »

Hi,

Great car and great kit!
I would have prefer P.Depailler’s car as I’m a big fan, but all the P-34 drivers were great pilots!
I will follow the build with interest.

Pascal 8)
I'd rather be flying!

If only Closed Minds came with Closed Mouth

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

pgarat wrote:Hi,

Great car and great kit!
I would have prefer P.Depailler’s car as I’m a big fan, but all the P-34 drivers were great pilots!
I will follow the build with interest.

Pascal 8)
Thanks for the reply. I am a fan of Scheckter and from what I have read about him as the driver of this machine, he was not too impressed with it. But a pay check is a pay check! He would go on to prove the worth of this design and would continue to finish in the leading pack. Another reason I went with his ride, everyone seems to model the ride of Depailler, which is cool, but I march to a different drummer.
Rick 8)

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

"Another reason I went with his ride, everyone seems to model the ride of Depailler, which is cool, but I march to a different drummer." That's an interesting observation. I sell a lot of P34 decals and I find that Scheckter (and Peterson for 1977) outsells Depailler about 4-1.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

I built this kit as a kid but as a Peterson car. I've done it again but this time in 1/20 scale. I don't think that I ever built a Scheckter car but I have a Wolf WR1 waiting to be built so I reserve it for Scheckter.

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

indycals wrote:"Another reason I went with his ride, everyone seems to model the ride of Depailler, which is cool, but I march to a different drummer." That's an interesting observation. I sell a lot of P34 decals and I find that Scheckter (and Peterson for 1977) outsells Depailler about 4-1.
Funny you should say that, I ordered a set of Scheckter decals from you and got them last week. My comment was based on the under construction and completed kits of this ride. I hope no one thinks I am taking away from a Depailler ride/build, I happen to like him as well,
Rick 8)

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

Orso wrote:I built this kit as a kid but as a Peterson car. I've done it again but this time in 1/20 scale. I don't think that I ever built a Scheckter car but I have a Wolf WR1 waiting to be built so I reserve it for Scheckter.
I look forward to that thread/build. Thanks for your interest.
Rick :D

Topic author
Fiatphile
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by Fiatphile »

I do however have a question if someone here can assist. The ride as done on the front of the box f/Scheckter, does this represent the car during his 1st appearance driving this machine? The reason I ask is the vent in the cowling seems to be gone in all my ref photos for later races.

Rick

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

Rick, I believe the P34 Tamiya is the Swedish GP version. Later version have different noses and wings.