Finished models...

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Re: 1/20 Ebbro Lotus 49

Post by daveyman »

Fantastic pictures, really sets the build off. Great result. Such a good looking machine, I'm another one with this kit in the stash, seeing yours built makes me want to get it built.

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Thanks guys! As we all know, we all are our own harshest critics and so it's nice to hear some other opinions.
whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:It was nice following your build, and it came out great! I'd love to see a photo of your photo-taking setup, the pictures are spectacular.
Thanks! Hmmm, my "photo-setup" is pretty ragtag. If it wasn't temporary and already taken apart I'd take a pic of it except that I'd be too embarrassed to post it. :D

The reflective part is actually part of my computer case which has a fancy piano-style finish on it. The background is black fabric (ok, a black t-shirt draped over a computer chair :oops:) and the lighting is provided by two lamps. :lol: I also used a tripod coupled with f22 and 15-20s exposure to get everything in focus (using a Nikon D7000). And finally I did some editing in Photoshop to correct the colors and remove some dust (that's the downside of shooting in all black, every bit of dust shows!).

Romad601
F3
F3
Your Name: Mike Morrison
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Derek Bell
United States of America

Post by Romad601 »

Fantasic build, and photos, of one of my two favoite cars!! Hope my build is half as good. - I was wondering, is there any information you can pass on as to what can be done to try to get the nose to fit better?
TIA

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Romad601 wrote:Fantasic build, and photos, of one of my two favoite cars!! Hope my build is half as good. - I was wondering, is there any information you can pass on as to what can be done to try to get the nose to fit better?
TIA
First off, mask the inside of the nose so no extra paint thickens up the inside. Once painting is done you will probably have to do a lot of aggressive sanding. I think at one point I was using 80 grit just to make the plastic come off faster.

Of course I checked the fit frequently and also shaved down the underside of lip that meets the top of the car a tiny bit. Even after all that it is still a very tight fit, but the tight fit holds the nose on. I didn't want to push my luck so I didn't go for a perfectly flush fit.

Hope that helps.

Shiiya
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Shiiya
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams and Piquet
Brazil

Post by Shiiya »

Outstanding !

billgtp
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapmans Lotus, James Hunt
United States of America

Post by billgtp »

Looks great

Romad601
F3
F3
Your Name: Mike Morrison
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Derek Bell
United States of America

Post by Romad601 »

Thanks VERY much for the reply. It will be very helpfull during my build; just knowing there is a fit problem & where is helpfull. Thank you agian.

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Excellent! It was nice to follow your w.i.p. and thanks for the tip on how to handle the nosecone issue.

Cheers,

Starr
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

I'm glad that I didn't buy one because of the nose. That would drive me nuts, fitting that bad and there is absolutely no excuse for it to be that way! Shame on Ebbro!!!

Topic author
CelicaGT
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
United States of America

Post by CelicaGT »

Romad601 wrote:Thanks VERY much for the reply. It will be very helpfull during my build; just knowing there is a fit problem & where is helpfull. Thank you agian.
Glad to help!
Starr wrote:Excellent! It was nice to follow your w.i.p. and thanks for the tip on how to handle the nosecone issue.

Cheers,

Starr
Thanks! I'll look forward to seeing some more 49s.
Jimmy wrote:I'm glad that I didn't buy one because of the nose. That would drive me nuts, fitting that bad and there is absolutely no excuse for it to be that way! Shame on Ebbro!!!
I agree that there is no excuse. But, I wouldn't let that keep you away from it. Everything else fits pretty well, it has good details, and it's a Lotus 49! I know I waited a looong time for one in 1/20 (and then took forever to build it). If you are a Lotus 49 fan I think it's worth forgiving the nose issue, but I do understand the frustration.