whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

What is Your Clear Coat of Choice?

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Hi All,

It's about time I change clear coats. For a while now I've been using Future or TS-13, both of which aren't really cutting it. TS-13 has that nasty habit of being too hot for some decals, and even when nothing goes wrong, it doesn't have much depth to it. Future isn't glossy enough and I can't ever get it to coat evenly. I'll still use it for clear pieces though.

What is your clear of choice? I hear nice things about Gunze Mr. Super Clear, so I may give that a try. I am open to rattlecan and airbrushed paints.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: What is Your Clear Coat of Choice?

Post by JamesB »

I'll be as attentive as you to the answers... I use the same as you!! :lol: :lol:

bossy122
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by bossy122 »

I use good ol Testors clear. It doesn't melt decals and it doesn't come out ridiculously shiny. At my one and only attempt at a model contest there was this Tamiya RE30B with clear thick enough that it had depth to it. I don't know what that person used but right then and there I never wanted my kits to look like that and regular Testors rattle can do the job without being ostentatious.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Future is for floors not models!!!

Zero 2 stage clear coat (2K Clear) Never seen it hurt decals and it just looks great even without polishing it.

I've also use the Mr Color clears. They are great for spray can clear. I've also never had it mess with any decals but the trick there is to make sure the decal is completely laying on the surface of you model. If the clear coat can get under the decal via a body line, grill, louver, or some other surface feature that the decal didn't quite conform to the clear coat will lift the decal.

Remember though Future is for floors, it says so right on the label. Doesn't say anything about models on the label :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

R.Wells
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by R.Wells »

Do you have an airbrush?

The 2K clears mentioned by Icon are good. Testors "One Coat Lacquer" clears are good. I use 2k clears, and Mr. Super Clear Gloss UV. I decant all of the pre-canned clears, add a little lacquer thinner to it, and shoot it in 2-light coats waiting about 10 minutes between coats. After waiting 10 minutes for the second coat to set up, I go back and add two heavy coats waiting about 5-7 minutes between the coats.

This was shot with Mr. Super Clear Gloss.
bass boat.jpg
Perfectionist in the art of the unfinished kit......

Russell Wells

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Anyone use this one?
Clear
Clear

Starr
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by Starr »

Testors Wet Look Clear for me.
Classic Plastic Model Club - Lowell, MA

viperdoug
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: SENNA
United States of America

Post by viperdoug »

I now only use 2K

klinad
F2
F2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH
China

Post by klinad »

For 1k lacquer clear I use Mr Hobby GX100. Still, it has strong effects on decals, especially on those decals from European brands, since they are usually very thin.
Some of my friends use GAIA EX-03, I guess it's more or less a equivalence of Mr Hobby GX100, just has bigger net weight and cheaper.
I'm gonna try some 1k clear from Finiser's, it says this one won't burn the decals.
I think more and more people use 2k clear, I've also used several times. The results are good, but you need some skills not to make it too thick, however at least for 1/20 scale, it works fine.
In a recent local model contest I attended, I'm surprised to see that models with 2k clear were really spot on and standed out in the event, comparing to the 1k clear models. I didn't think difference of the depth could be that big before. So if you are going to take the model to a contest, I suggest to use 2k clear and this could really catch the viewer's eyes.

naka
Formula e
Formula e

Post by naka »

No decals- Mr. Color gloss clear.
Decals- 2k clear.