Halfords clear Lacquer/ Zero Paints problem.

Ask away....

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Damon Hill, Williams.
Great Britain

Halfords clear Lacquer/ Zero Paints problem.

Post by KB78 »

Hi everyone, 

For the last 8 or so years whenever building/ Painting F1 Cars I have used Halfords (rattle Can) Primer, white basecoat then a coat of Zero paint all lacquered with Halfords clear lacquer. The finish was always beautiful & both products were absolutely superb. Recently however, whenever I coat Zero's "Rothmans blue" with Halfords Lacquer the Blue badly cracks, washes away or bleaches, (usually) all three!
This hasn't happened on any other Zero colour. I have spoken to Zero who have confirmed that their Paint formula hasn't changed at all, I am still waiting for Halfords to get back to me regarding any changes to their Lacquer.

I've had an FW13 project completely wrecked (binned it) & I've also recently painted then completely stripped a pair of S27 white Metal, Rear wing end Plates 6!! times & the problem keeps reoccurring! 

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced any other problems of a similar nature as until now I've had no problems at all & I'm running out of idea's/ solutions. Help!! 

Many thanks,

KB.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Re: Halfords clear Lacquer/ Zero Paints problem.

Post by flashman »

Sorry if this seems an obvious question but...

Is this happening with the same Halfords can and/or the same jar (or batch if bought multiple jars at same time) of the Zero blue? Or has this also happened using a different can of Halfords clear and/or different batch of the Zero blue ?

I have never used either brand so can't offer advice, but I couldn't help wondering if it might have been just a bad can of clear or bad batch of Zero paint.

Cameron

alexpayne
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by alexpayne »

My advice would be to stop using Halford clear. I used to use it and had to many issues with other paint. Sometimes after along period, 2-3 years the paint would "crack' so badly it went down to the primer.

For last few years I have used Gunze Mr Super Clear "UV", its fantastic, does not effect paint or decals, goes on superbly and polishes well.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

Stop using the Halfords clear would be my advice. Use either the Zero clear or one of the hobby clears. Mixing paints and clears can bring all sorts of compatability issues. I learnt this the hard way and now tend to use the same brand of paint and clear.
Steve Noble

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi KB78,

Sounds like Halfords may have changed their formula. I'd be inclined to change your clear coat to an acrylic based one instead. Gunze have had a lot of good feedback here with their UV clear so you may find a solution there.

I would also encourage you to do some test spraying on disposable material before spraying your kit parts. Plastic spoons are an excellent test surface. Prep and paint these in the exact same way that you intend to prep and paint your parts.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for your replies.
After 8 or so completely problem free years using the same Paints & techniques suddenly I've had nothing but problems!

I've tried two different Bottles of "Rothmans Blue" & the second (new one) seemed to alleviate the problem slightly but not entirely (by this time fw13 was trashed, but only the Blue, not the yellow or white strangely) as well as two different Cans of Lacquer. I've also posted this query on the "Britmodeller" Website with some advice being offered that the Halfords Lacquer mix isn't always precisely uniform.

I hadn't thought of the Spoons idea, I'm now off to buy some as stripping rear Wing end plates is really getting dull (now on my 7th attempt). It's just frustrating as I have completed 7-8 Kits over the last 8 or so years with absolutely perfect results, many MANY thanks for your replies, couldn't understand what on earth had changed. KB.

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Post by jaydar »

Some years ago I purchased several large white sheets of polystyrene. I cut them into long strips and I paint them with the same applications I put on my cars. From primer all the way to clears. I also make the painted area large enough so I can mask off a portion for testing alternative brands.

No more dip n strip for me since then.

Joe.

Topic author
KB78
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Great Britain

Post by KB78 »

Hi all,

A bit of an update and a plea for help.

Over the past Month or so I contacted both Zero and Halfords, (both extremely helpful) and both confirmed that the formula for their products was unchanged. So I experimented, ALOT! Many plastic Spoons and other forms of plastic were tested in as many different ways as I could think of, Different Zero colours (all unaffected), temperatures, materials, Four different cans of two different kinds of Lacquer, everything, anything in any combination that I could think of was tested.
The outcome was the same, Halfords Lacquer fogging, washing out and even cracking Zero's Rothmans Blue, but oddly none of the other colours.

My final test was yesterday, and may be the "smoking Gun" I found an old-ish Can of Halfords Lacquer that still contained about a third of a Cans worth that I had successfully used (with no problem at all) with my old Bottle of "Rothmans blue" on a studio 27 Williams FW12 and an FW17. I tried the remnants of this can in combination with my new Bottle of "Rothmans blue" and the result was identical, fogging, washing out.
So I'm now "almost" certain that (for whatever odd reason) it's the Blue not the Lacquer.

I'm here to ask a favour, does anyone have any of the "old" Label Rothmans Blue (Chequered Flag motif on the label) that they would be willing to sell me?
It doesn't have to be full, even half a Bottle will prove or dis-prove my theory & hopefully allow me to finish my S27 Williams FW15C , my favourite Car of all time and a model I've waited 25 years to buy and build.

I really love using Zero's stuff as it's always brilliant but am completely stumped by this problem and the only thing I haven't tried is getting hold of some older "Rothmans Blue" & trying that.

Any help much appreciated & greatly received.

SteveNoble
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by SteveNoble »

I can't help you with any of the old, old Zero Rothmans Blue. I had a bottle but it dried up and wasn't able to be saved. However I can help you a little. Ditch the Rothmans Blue altogether, because it isn't the correct blue for the FW15c anyway. The FW14B blue would be a lot closer to the true colour. Anyway regards the Halfords clear. I still think I'd use another clear instead. I had many a time when it used to fog and crack. I'm convinced it's poor at best and there are much better clears around now..
Steve Noble

acer709
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David Atkin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams/Senna
Great Britain

Post by acer709 »

Hey KB,
Will check tomorrow as I think I may have some Rothmans blue that I used on my fw16 and also have the set for fw11.
Am sorry for your hassles with the painting great you can
keep persisting!