nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Nic Henson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Studio 27 Lotus 99T/99TB items and pics

Post by nichenson »

Someone a bit back had questions regarding what the differences were between all the S27 transkits. Well, here is a comparison in pictures of mostly everything S27 offers for the Tamiya 1/20th Lotus 99T.

The first thing one must note is that the Tamiya kit although very well designed and a great kit is only good for the first three rounds (Brazil, San Marino, and Belgium).

Of note in this first pic of the Tamiya kit is the lower front portion of the side intakes. It is straight across. This is by far the easiest give away for the first three rounds if you have to identify a pic.

Of note in this pic is the location of the air scoops. These are the furthermost back that they went in the season. This is also the smallest scoops they used.

Now on to the items available for just the kit. Studio27 makes a nice set of PE, metal brakes (which are an improvement as you get some extra detail, cockpit detail set which has some photoetch for a seatbelt, and finally, a set of nice carbon fiber decals. Decide for yourself if you need any of these.

Last edited by nichenson on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Re: Studio 27 Lotus 99T/99TB items and pics

Post by nichenson »

Now we can move to round 4 Monaco. For this race, they made a few modifications. First off, the side skirts were modified. There is now a sliver that is attached the chassis that is taken away from the bodywork. I am not sure of the purpose of this than maybe to decrease the size of the front intake or make it easier to remove the bodywork. If anyone knows please chime in. Also of note is that the scoops not only were bigger but moved outward and forward. Also, the exhaust exits were modified. Studio27 has provided templates for all the necessary cutting as well as all the necessary parts to change the intakes, exhaust, and rear wing. For this transkit, S27 does include the proper Camel decals on a separate sheet.

Topic author
nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by nichenson »

Now to Round 5 Detroit. This transkit is identical to the Monaco one other than there is a different rear wing.

Topic author
nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by nichenson »

Round 6 was the French GP. I am not sure if it was closer to the Detroit or British version. I would have to find a good picture of the exhaust system to tell, but it does use the same or similar wing style as with the British GP. Anyway, Round 7 is the final 99T transkit that S27 made. It faithfully reproduces this version down to the fact that it doesn't have the Camel decals as tobacco ads were forbidden. In particular, you get the updated exhaust as well as all the pieces to change the intake scoops. This kit has the fewest parts.

Topic author
nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by nichenson »

Sometime around the 8th or 9th Round (Germany and Hungary respectively), the 99T evolved into basically the 99TB although that is not the official designation. The bonnet had a different shape top and there was an extra sharp ramp built into the side intakes. There isn't an easy way to replicate the top over the engine without having to do a completely new body so that is what S27 did. Since the exhaust and chassis pan had lots of changes as well, you might as well make a new chassis which is also what they did. I have to applaud them for this as the resin is very thin and crisp. It isn't like a lot of their earlier stuff. Anyway, the pics will help explain the rest. Also, since S27 is based in Japan, they did the Japanese GP which was Round 15. There may have been some other differences in the last 8 races, but S27 has chosen to ignore those. This is by far the most extensive transkit based on the 99T. My kit did include the Camel decals albeit under the "tabu" logo. The last pic shows some of the white metal. The previous kits had a metal tub. This one is resin. The disc brakes are there as before. I am assuming there are quite a bit of engine changes as S27 has included most of the engine in white metal. Also of note is that S27 has included most of the carbon fiber decals.

Topic author
nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by nichenson »

Last note is that S27 made two engine sets and two "display" sets. The "display" sets are basically the engine sets with the updated brakes and interior. The engine sets are the parts from the Monaco/Detroit transkit for the early and the British for the latter with some extra Honda pieces that came from the MP4/4 detail up sets. Hope this helps!

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Very useful reviews, many thanks for posting

Topic author
nichenson
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
United States of America

Post by nichenson »

Jeff wrote:Very useful reviews, many thanks for posting
Glad this is helpful. One other note worth mentioning is that the rear winglet on the back of the bonnet is present up until Detroit. The instructions show this. Also, the #11 and #12 were not always identical at every race. At Monaco, Senna's had been updated whereas Nakajima's had not. The book that MFH released is great, but I would still attempt to find some more material.

Since I got the 99T kits out, I have a sudden urge to start one. I think I have 7 or so. Of course one will become a late 98T though.

jorgeralvear
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Jorge Alvear
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Kimi/Ferrari
Chile

Post by jorgeralvear »

Excellent information, thanks for taking the time to sort this all out. Very useful.

gilles.r
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Gilles
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault and Ligier
France

Post by gilles.r »

nichenson wrote:Someone a bit back had questions regarding what the differences were between all the S27 transkits. Well, here is a comparison in pictures of mostly everything S27 offers for the Tamiya 1/20th Lotus 99T.

The first thing one must note is that the Tamiya kit although very well designed and a great kit is only good for the first three rounds (Brazil, San Marino, and Belgium).
Hi ,
Thank you very much for all the details you've taken time to show us.

While also searchng, I've noticed that th engine was a new version at Suzuka RA168 vs RA167 in the early season versions

Bye
Gilles