sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Tremonia PE 312T4

Post by sky1911 »

Hi guys,

has anyone of you used the Tremonia PE kit for the 312T4? I keep seeing it on fleabay when I'm looking for
the SMS PE kit for the 312T and it is relatively cheap (Link)
However, on comparing it to a shot of the real car I've already noted a few differences, i.e. no rivet detail
on the forward triangular sheets (towards the driver) and the same for the triangular section on top. There
is rivet detail there... That aside, I love me a nice shiny aluminium cockpit...I've done it once before in a
trial fit made using 0.2 or 0.3 mm aluminium sheets cut after creating stencils from tape applied to the
cockpit. The metal finish look was great, however, it was missing in details as it was just a quick and dirty
job...
So I'd like to hear an opinion. I know it is not comparable to the SMS kit (4 whole sheets of PE worth with
plenty of detail etc..), I'm just curious what you guys think.
Cheers,
Roman

shurick
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: Tremonia PE 312T4

Post by shurick »

Have not seen their 312T4 stuff but used Tremonia products frequently on 1/8 model kits and always had good experience. Andre does very good job and would always recommend to give it a try.

accuracing
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Villeneuve
Canada

Post by accuracing »

HI

Well, some good and some bad.
It is not that expensive and the material used is nice looking (even if it is stainless steel, not aluminium) but, overall fit is not that great.
Had to spend a considerable amount of time shaving off some of the underlying plastic surfaces to get the parts to fit.
Most of the pre-drill holes will not line up with existing ones from the plastic tub.

The oval panel on top of the fuel cell looks good but is not representative of the actual design, the end result is way too flat.

This set only partially covers the tub surfaces. The area around the seat is left to be painted and that can be a challenge.
You are hoping to get a similar metallic shade with the same reflective qualities of the metal panels. Easier said than done.

The best parts are the front scuttle panel and the two triangular ones for the roll bar structure.

Overall, I would say that if you planned to build it as a curbside, than it will improve the metal sections that remains visible with the body on.
But if you want to display the car open, it will be a challenge to get a constant metallic finish.
One could decide to paint over the metal panels, but that would be a shame.

I also used the brake disks. They fit nicely, but don't forget to thin down the plastic disks before adding the PE parts. Otherwise, you may have some clearance issues with the brake calipers.

Sorry, if this cools down your enthusiasm.
tremonia.jpg
diskT4.jpg
(should dust off this project and finish it!)

Cheers

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

I have the same feeling as above..You expect more than you actually get..But nice anyway.

Alex.

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Well guys, that's why I asked :). My impression was similar. So to be honest the verdict is kind of what I have
expected. Essentially it is not what I'm looking for. I would want a full metal chassis which this does not re-
present, only a partial one. Also I've already realized that the rivet detail is not matching the car, or rather
some parts show no detail that should have detail. I was only contemplating getting it since it was a good
deal cheaper than the SMS kit for it's older brother (312T). So in the end I will probably have to create the
panels myself.. meh. That would also be more satisfactory (but slower).
And a painted surface vs a real material surface... as you said will be a pain to match. That aside I will
always prefer the actual material surface to anything painted (just because I suck at applying paint ;)).
Cheers,
Roman