MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Post by VR2 »

Hello Porsche 917 Aficionados

this is my first WIP on this forum. After finishing the Daytona winning 917 of 1970, it's time to start with the next project - another 917K.

I will build the legendary winner of Le Mans 1971 (917-053) and once finished, it will be again presented after race weathered with the help of my friend Jochen Kieslich.
The build can be also followed on my Blog: https://uhakenjos.wixsite.com/racinghistoryalive/blog

This is my 4th build of a MFH Porsche 917 in 1:12 scale, so I've gained some experience about where the tricky/critical issues are and how to minimize the risk of (potential) matching problems afterwards.
The key to a successful build of the MFH 917s is (based on my experience) a different building sequence than layed-out in the MFH building instruction. So I'll not start with the engine, but with a comprehensive temporary assembly/adjustment process instead.

Also some details in this kit (like with the other 917 kits) are not there at all or deviate from the original car. Examples are the seat belts, different oil tank for the 917-053, routing of hoses from oil cooler to engine and oil tank, ignition wiring scheme, etc. I'll tackle this during the building process and fix this accordingly, so the model will get as close as possible to the original.

The temporary assembly starts with this main body parts, which are made of perfectly casted Resin. Only the Rear Cowl had some minor warping, which could be easily corrected as we'll see later.
​​
Blog_part4_6_small.jpg
In order to improve the fit/connection between the lower part of the chassis with the Front Cowl later in the final assembly stage, I've replaced the molded mounting pins on the Door Sills with turned brass pins. This ensures a perfect and tight fit between the Door Sills and the Front Cowl. 
Blog_part4_5_small.jpg

All main body parts have been temporarily assembled with tiny screws and the brass mounting pins.
The Rear Cowl had some warping issues leading to a significant mismatch at the joints between the Front- and the Rear Cowl and between the Rear Cowl and the Side Sills.
With tape, the Rear Cowl has been forced into the correct position. To fix this position permanently, heat was applied to the entire Rear Cowl (from inside and outside) with a heat gun. Key is to set the heat gun to a relative low temperature. I highly recommend to test this with a spare part or sprue of the same material beforehand.
Blog_part4_3_small.jpg
Blog_part4_2_small.jpg
Already in this very early stage of the project, the stunning shape of this iconic sports car can be clearly seen. 
​​

After the Rear Cowl has been cooled down to room temperature, the tape was removed. As you can see, the fit looks perfect now.  
​​
Blog_part4_4_small.jpg

The next step of the temporary assembly process was to test (and correct) the fit between the bulkhead (between Cockpit and engine bay), the lower part of the Rear Frame and the Engine. Dimensional accuracy is absolutely critical to ensure a perfect fit during the final assembly process. As you can see from this pictures, some adjustments/corrections have been necessary to fix some issues.
​​
Blog_part4_7_small.jpg
Blog_part4_8_small.jpg
​​

Well, that's fine for today. Next time I'll continue with the temporary assembly process, including the doors, front hood and the complete rear frame.

Hope, this WIP may over time also encourage fellow modelers on this forum to start building their 917s.

BR,
Uli

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: MFH Porsche 917 Le Mans Winner 1971 in 1:12 Scale

Post by Jeff »

This looks to be a great WIP, will follow with interest

shurick
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by shurick »

This is wonderful start, i will follow it with great interest! I want to try and build a 1/12 Porsche sometime next year perhaps.

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

yep this is a fantastic start - makes me want to break my rules and get one of these 917s badly....

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

Subscribed. Thanks for sharing

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Great WIP. Very useful hints. Greatly appreciated. Please keep sharing them.
That's the type of WIP I like to most.

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

Nice start!!
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

This is perfect.That's what I need.
A "how to build" your own Porsche 917 without getting into deep trouble.
Thanks Uli
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Thank you, Uli!

Absolutely awesome to see this beast come to life. This thread has been bookmarked and the pictures will
be saved for future reference. After all, I'm only missing the 1971 winner kit, but have the other 3 917s in
my stash. The location pins are a great idea. I've drilled them out as well, but since have not yet made the
pins to lock it in place. Actually I wanted to check it out on a real 917 - but haven't been fortunate enough
to see one opened up. The 4 in the Porsche museum were all closed when I was there, plus one appeared
to be a work of fiction.
Glad to see this build log and your pointers for a smooth assembly. The tail on my KH seemed to fit ok, but
I had some minor issues with the tail of the 1970 LH. I've made it fit together with elbow grease ;). After a
failed experiment with a hot air gun and the some warped panels from a 312T I decided not to use heat ;).

Waiting for the next installment of what is surely going to be a reference build, if not the reference build.

/edit
@petrov - what silly rules are those keeping you from getting the ultimate racing car? ;)
Cheers,
Roman

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

sky1911 wrote: /edit
@petrov - what silly rules are those keeping you from getting the ultimate racing car? ;)
Ha, well, in order to not go bankrupt, I have firm rules on what 1/12 MFH Kits to consider purchase:
Any F1 from '67 or '76 is a must - my favorite years of F1
Any car driven by Ronnie, Gilles, Senna or Berger is one to consider purchase (esp Ronnie - come on MFH do something crazy like the March 711!!)
So far I have stuck really close to these rules....

I would love to get just about all of the 1/12 MFH including especially the 917 and a 330P but just cannot, especially as 2017 has been a freakin terrible year for me health-wise...

But still love these build threads - they totally rock