whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Lotus 49 - Rob Walker & Jo Siffert

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Hi everyone,
Here is my second finished F1 model. I build Ebbro's 1/20 Lotus 49 in the colors of Rob Walker's privateer outfit. Jo Siffert drove this car in the 1968 Belgian Grand Prix to a non-finish. The first-generation Lotus 49 was campaigned by Jo Siffert for the first half of the 1968 season before being replaced by the 49B they used to win Brands Hatch. The kit was fun but frustrating at times. Given that it was their first kit I'm impressed. I used Tamiya TS-55 for the body and a combination of Alclad and Vallejo for the rest of the car. Scratchbuilt items include a brass radiator hose, brake lines off the front calipers, spark plug wires and fuel lines. I used a combination of kit and Indycals for the livery.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Last edited by whatisdeletrazdoing on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mclarenfan1
F2
F2

Re: Lotus 49 - Rob Walker & Jo Siffert

Post by Mclarenfan1 »

I've yet to get that kit. You did a fantastic job! Colors are brilliant. Nice attention to detail!

Ken

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Nice work, the finished result looks very good.

Could you please explain what the problems were with this kit? From memory, I think the nosecone needs thinning on the inside in order to make it fit properly...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

I like your work mat with all of the info printed on it. Where can I find one of those?

Your car appears to be black. I was under the impression that the Rob Walker cars were painted a dark blue. Am I wrong?

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Good Job :D !

Topic author
whatisdeletrazdoing
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Super Aguri, Ligier, Minardi, Rial
United States of America

Post by whatisdeletrazdoing »

Jimmy wrote:I like your work mat with all of the info printed on it. Where can I find one of those?

Your car appears to be black. I was under the impression that the Rob Walker cars were painted a dark blue. Am I wrong?
I picked it up at my local hobbyshop, I believe it's made by Horizon. The car is dark blue, and I used Tamiya's TS-55 Dark Blue through an airbrush.
Paul_OFarrell wrote:Nice work, the finished result looks very good.

Could you please explain what the problems were with this kit? From memory, I think the nosecone needs thinning on the inside in order to make it fit properly...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz
Thanks! The nosecone does need to be thinned - even after a ton of sanding it doesn't quite fit over the front bulkhead. The biggest issue I had was with the rear suspension. It's darn near impossible to align, and the parts layout means all the pieces essentially need to come together at the exact same time. Still, I'm not entirely sure they could've done that differently. Finally, the kit had a lot of ejector pin marks in bad locations, like the exposed parts of bulkheads or the suspension hubs.

jordan
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jordan »

Great ones ! ..The Rob Walker cars are very dark blue and the Wolf color ( TS55 ) is PERFECT ! WELL done :)

Alex.

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

She's gorgeous! I like the way your exhaust pipes, and wheel rims etc. came out in silver. Much more realistic than the kit chrome. And I think the car looks even better in TS-55, than the year-earlier car did in British Racing Green. Nice detailing, too.

Cheers, Chris

Pawlie
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Pawlie »

I think the color is perfect, the real cars were a very dark blue.

Really fantastic job with this kit!

Jimmy
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Jimmy
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: AAR, Dan Gurney
United States of America

Post by Jimmy »

whatisdeletrazdoing wrote:
Jimmy wrote:I like your work mat with all of the info printed on it. Where can I find one of those?

I picked it up at my local hobbyshop, I believe it's made by Horizon. The car is dark blue, and I used Tamiya's TS-55 Dark Blue through an airbrush.
Thanks, I found the mat. It is a: "Hobbico" Builder's Cutting Mat 24"x36"

Just to be clear, the paint "appears" to be black in the photos, especially when compared to the water hose. When enlarged, I can see the blue.