WIP: Inside Out - A Revell's 1/12 F2002 story

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Topic author
edgarmiro
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

WIP: Inside Out - A Revell's 1/12 F2002 story

Post by edgarmiro »

I'm presenting my Revell's f2002 at 1/12. I've started this model on summer of 2013.

I don't remember how I decided to start it but I wanted to make a good rendition to that model. I knew that had some mistakes and inacuracies, but i didn't realized the number of modifications that needed at the begining. About it I thougt several times to abandon this building due to the hard work required.

And now, that I see light at the end of the tunnel, I think that I can show you now my progresses. I want to thank to revell the choice of a "recent" F1 car at 1/12, I would like to see more models of nowadays cars in this scale. Maybe due to the secretism around this recent cars there a lot of inacuracies in the f2002 but it's right to thank to revell people for his effort. If you leave it as a just curbside model you'll have a decent model.

When I build a 1/12 one of my goals is to show the engine and internal parts, because this scale leave you room for that and allow to show how the things go.

When I started on the model I want to have the nose open and the cowl to acces the engine that was able to be opened or detached. I researched for how to hold the parts in place and how to be easily detechable; in this way I worked installing several metal parts (specially the "lips" at the joint between the cowling and the cockpit part en the parts .see the yellow parts) and adding some neodymium magnets all over the cowling. For the front after tested a magnet solution that didn't worked I decided to use some small size springs that hold in place the nails as the real car ( if some want a better explanation just ask). I noticed that were bigs gaps between parts and will be really visible in the model, that suposed an important amount of hours to test-fail doing the border of the parts with several straps of plastics, putyy, cyano... I'm still working on this to minimize the gaps.

I reworked all the seat and surroundings, moslty scratched. When Michael had his accident I was decaling all his seat.

One thing that I thought that was the main problem of the revell's model was that there was something wrong on the internal parts, on every model I saw mounted seemed small, as if were reduced to fit the cowling. It made me think to rework all the internal parts and adjust at maximum to the cowling itself, changing its shape in some points and adapting to the engine. I want tothenk you the job that Brian Fawcett made doing the engine covers, transmission and rear arms and brakes.

His site: http://www.fawcettmodelsandpatterns.co. ... ection-set
Review here: http://www.f1m.com/forums/viewtopic.php ... 2236&hilit

Without this transkit, in my opinion is a nonsense to try to have a non curbside model. As you see on the photos all of the pieces of the kit are or modified or completly scratched, maybe is hard to see but most of the plastic parts that come in the kit are on black sprue and as you see is mostly evergreen styrene. And this is why I call this WIP InsideOut... all the internals have modified the body to adjust everything inside...

Feel free to ask whatever you want and comment whatever you want

More to come soon

Enjoy the pics...

Edgar

Last edited by edgarmiro on Tue May 05, 2020 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Re: Inside Out - A Revell's 1/12 F2002 story

Post by plastiksurgeon »

Diamond in the rough, ....watching with interest edgarmiro ! I have one of these waiting patiently...

Best,
Steve Mohlenkamp
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

allnie
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell. Lotus. McLaren.
Denmark

Post by allnie »

It is a difficult kit to build because it is far from Tamiya quality.
Br
Allan

plastiksurgeon
Team Owner
Team Owner

Post by plastiksurgeon »

For me it fills in an important era in 1/12 F1 models that we didn't have a whole lot of.... Mine will be curbside just to fill the void, and because of the kit difficulties and inaccuracies. I choose my long-term battles carefully in F1 modeling, this will not be one of them. However, I very much look forward to a curbside version someday !

Best,
Steve Mohlenkamp
Last edited by plastiksurgeon on Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
when I was young, all the boys made model cars, ...some of us just never stopped !

jaykay
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by jaykay »

Interesting start on this! It's true that the kit leaves a lot to be desired, but can be a good base to start even a full detail project. I think the main body parts and wings aren't bad but the suspension and internals need serious work.
One thing that surprises me about your build is the nose cone. It looks like you extended it. Did you? Until now this didn't look wrong to me but maybe i missed that...

Topic author
edgarmiro
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Re: WIP: Inside Out - A Revell's 1/12 F2002 story

Post by edgarmiro »

Thanks for all your kind words; It has been a long journey and, maybe if you haven't faced this kit is hard to see the work done by now.
jaykay wrote:One thing that surprises me about your build is the nose cone. It looks like you extended it. Did you? Until now this didn't look wrong to me but maybe i missed that...
Yes I cutted the nose before the joint and after it. In the cockpit part I cutted to fit the spring system that holds the nose cone with just a "click", and in the nosecone itself I, because I reworked all the front arms, heels and brakes (photos soon) the front wheels almost touched the wing plates when turning and looking in real photos the revell nose cone had something strange in it's shape and length, I cutted it and adjusted,I don't know exactly how much longer but is not the two stirene plastics width that you see on photos, maybe just 2mm.

By the way, I'm building the Gran Premi de Catalunya version at Momtmeló. You'll see part of the modifications to fit that race (front, rear wings,...)

Here I post some old working pics I took a couple years back when I was building the cockpit, mostly scratched.

Hope you like them. Thanks for your comments

Edgar

Last edited by edgarmiro on Tue May 05, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

That's a hell of a job as they say!! :D lots of care and attention to the detail. Will look fantastic, sure.

gtziaf
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: George
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari - Gilles Villeneuve
Greece

Post by gtziaf »

Wow. Nice start and a lot of work!

Jeff
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Jeff »

Great work, following with interest!

Topic author
edgarmiro
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by edgarmiro »

A little update... more soon

Thanks for your comments
Last edited by edgarmiro on Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.