I'm surprised ...

F1 News and Info

jaydar
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion

Re: I'm surprised ...

Post by jaydar »

Hard to be luke warm on this one. The situation is very polarizing.

Joe.

theseeker
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by theseeker »

This is getting crazy and about to get painful. http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... nico-lewis

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

theseeker wrote:This is getting crazy and about to get painful. http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... nico-lewis

Read between the lines there and that's just Merc's way of setting everyone up for when they suspend Hamilton for a race to ensure Nico's chances at the championship. At this point they've basically done everything aside from just that. I wasn't a believer in the conspiracy until this race. Everything they showed in their demeanor and actions in Austria prove to me they're greasing the path for Nico. Even down to Toto's reaction when Nico hit Lewis and ended up busting his own car. They can't possibly be worried about the constructors championship. The only way they lose that is if they take each other out at every single race. Not going to happen and it's set in stone. Everything they say is just PR bullshit and I don't believe a word of it. Especially the "brake issues" Rosberg had. Someone should ask Perez about "brake issues"!

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

There is no conspiracy to make Nico or Lewis win the championship, as there is absolutely no motivation to push one driver over the other.

The biggest difference between this incident and the ones where Lewis has been on the inside is that Lewis continues the move, where Nico gives up. This is where Nico screwed up, he was assuming Lewis would do the same.

I actually felt after the race that Lewis handled it rather well, and I'm not a fan of his much these days.

Bigasshammm
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by Bigasshammm »

Idk about no motivation. Mercedes is a German team. Nico is a German driver. Germany's economy and social spirit have been down lately. It would be huge for the country if Nico were to win the WC.

vontrips
Midfield
Midfield

Post by vontrips »

I , for one, am absolutely disgusted by the booing by the German fans. Lewis is by far better driver and his racing was impeccable; whether you his like his personality, or not.

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

Bigasshammm wrote:Idk about no motivation. Mercedes is a German team. Nico is a German driver. Germany's economy and social spirit have been down lately. It would be huge for the country if Nico were to win the WC.
You could very well be right. But personally, before this season started I figured Nico was likely to be champion this year more due to Mercedes thinking "Since Lewis has won the title twice in a row for us, let's spread the glory and keep Nico happy". Sure, Nico being German would make that nicer for Merc, but I didn't consider that as the major motivation, as long as the team won the constructors championship.

As far as liking or disliking the drivers, I have liked very few of the F1 drivers for the past 20 years or more. With a couple of exceptions, I have either disliked or been totally apathetic to all of the others. And strangely enough, the driver I most warmed to, a friend of mine can't stand him after he once blew off my friends and a group of others who asked him for autographs at Montreal several years ago. Definitely not good PR.. :? And without saying his name, just when I had begun to appreciate another driver, he ruthlessly reneges on a mutual agreement and blatantly steals a race win from his teammate, Webber. :shock:

Cameron

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

In an ideal world Mercedes may prefer the idea of a Germany Champion but the competition is too close for them to play games now. If they really wanted Nico then it should have been 2014 when they were untouchable.

petrov27
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by petrov27 »

I tend not to put any merit to these conspiracy theories but its kind of hard not to feel like something is up. Not a huge fan of either driver nor in the Mercedes dominance but let 'em race I say...

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

vontrips wrote:I , for one, am absolutely disgusted by the booing by the German fans. Lewis is by far better driver and his racing was impeccable; whether you his like his personality, or not.
Agree, anyway without the engine issues Lewis has had at the start of the season I'm sure he'd be way ahead of Nico in the points by now, Nico is not on the same level of talent as a racing driver as Lewis, Nico has had the luck so far this year, all things being equal from her to the end of the season between them and Lewis will be Champion again, I think Nico knows that too so while he is ahead of Lewis with points he will be agressive to the point where he doesn't mind if he gets taken out of the race as long as he ensures Lewis doesn't finish, that was his intention last Sunday with the wreckless dangerous manouver as it was in Spain also, unfortunately for Nico he got what he deserved, Nico is a desperate driver because he is competing with a driver he knows has the upper hand on him in the cockpit so he takes to desperate measures to try and beat him, I certainly dont like that unsporting bad loser behaviour but what else can he do!
Dede.