A funny looking red car

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

Topic author
Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

A funny looking red car

Post by Orso »

or is it grey. It sure doesn't look like an F1 car with those wheels.

SanMarino
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ventisette Rosso
Canada

Re: A funny looking red car

Post by SanMarino »

To me it almost looks as if it was taken in Montreal, with the water in the background being the basin used for rowing during the '76 Olympics.

Anyway, here is a photo I took in Detroit 1982 of a red car being transported from the garage area to the pits with the same wheels:

Cheers,
Mike

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Orso wrote:Image
or is it grey. It sure doesn't look like an F1 car with those wheels.
With the luggage capacity maybe they were thinking of running it at LeMans! :lol:

Seriously, the car certainly looks different with the transportation wheels/tires on it. I've got some shots of the 126C2 at Long Beach with those wheels on also.

Paul Erlendson

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

I remember back in the late 90's or early 2000's, somebody made an aftermarket set of these wheels.
I've got a set... somewhere :shock: !!! in 1:20, I think not certain but it may have been Modeler's.
I say it might be Modeler's because I bought a set of Wet Tyres by Modeler's at the same time, both
sets were for the Ferrari 126C2, so I'm guessing the transport wheels are by the same company.
I got them from Grand Prix Models, I think :? , When they were based in St Albans Hertfordshire...
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

Eagle50
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by Eagle50 »

Yup, Modeler's did a set of solid transport wheels in white metal, back in the day. They've been sitting on one of my kits for years. Nothing with rubber on them, like in the pictures shown, but just big, thin, 6 spoke metal discs like the teams used to use back in the early 90s. They were the same diameter as the actual tyres (I suppose so the cars' skid plates wouldn't drag on the ground) but they were much thinner, so cars could be squeezed into transport caravans / the bellies of airplanes.

Here's what they looked like:
http://hlj.com/product/MDLR001

Cheers, Chris

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by PJE »

Eagle50 wrote:Yup, Modeler's did a set of solid transport wheels in white metal, back in the day. They've been sitting on one of my kits for years. Nothing with rubber on them, like in the pictures shown, but just big, thin, 6 spoke metal discs like the teams used to use back in the early 90s. They were the same diameter as the actual tyres (I suppose so the cars' skid plates wouldn't drag on the ground) but they were much thinner, so cars could be squeezed into transport caravans / the bellies of airplanes.

Cheers, Chris
I think what you're showing here Chris are the "set up" wheels which were used to fine tune the suspension settings. Although I have seen a video of a team rolling around a car with these wheels (I couldn't believe they doing that to these perfectly turned disks!) I don't think that they were used for transport.

Paul Erlendson

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

PJE wrote:
Eagle50 wrote:Yup, Modeler's did a set of solid transport wheels in white metal, back in the day. They've been sitting on one of my kits for years. Nothing with rubber on them, like in the pictures shown, but just big, thin, 6 spoke metal discs like the teams used to use back in the early 90s. They were the same diameter as the actual tyres (I suppose so the cars' skid plates wouldn't drag on the ground) but they were much thinner, so cars could be squeezed into transport caravans / the bellies of airplanes.

Cheers, Chris
I think what you're showing here Chris are the "set up" wheels which were used to fine tune the suspension settings. Although I have seen a video of a team rolling around a car with these wheels (I couldn't believe they doing that to these perfectly turned disks!) I don't think that they were used for transport.

Paul Erlendson
Williams posted a pic last year of one of the early 90's cars on transport wheels, they were literally from an early 90's Civic! They just put lugs on the hub and keep it stored that way.