1/12 Matra MS11

Models in progress... including non-F1 models.

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Re: 1/12 Matra MS11

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Marcus,

If the dash panel is slightly wider than it needs to be, then I would look at gently sanding the sides of the dash panel, or even carving a slot into the panel for the lines to pass through. Any sanding on the underside of the cowling could be very risky - you wouldn't want to damage the cowling and end up having to repair and repaint it.

Is the dash panel permanently mounted into position? If it is then I would still think about sanding the sides of the dash panel. Before sanding begins, I would take the precaution of laying some Parafilm strips onto the nearby surfaces to protect them from being accidentally scratched.

If you don't want to sand the panel, you could always gently scrape a blade down the side of the panel until enough material is removed.

Good luck and fingers crossed that you get the problem sorted out.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Marcus
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: More a fan of motor racing history as a whole
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thanks Paul for your suggestions. I think it will be a combination of solutions. For now, I have sanded the sides a little, but the edge (that gives the panel some rigidity and makes it "3D") is only 0.3 mm thick, so there is not much room to play with. I also sharpened the lower "V"-outline a bit, so the whole panel can be installed a little lower. I'm not that nervous about removing material from the cowling; that thing is way too thick and could easily loose 0.5mm on each side. Even if it goes wrong: I'd rather repaint the cowling than to rebuild the dashboard.

Some more progress today: I fixed the gauges to the panel and added some detail on the back. It's almost ready, it only needs a few switches on both sides.
20160116_matra_0361.jpg
20160116_matra_0362.JPG
As you can see, my part is not any wider than the original kit part. So I assume the original part would also have raised some space/fit issues...
As you can see, my part is not any wider than the original kit part. So I assume the original part would also have raised some space/fit issues...
20160116_matra_0376.jpg
20160116_matra_0377.jpg
20160116_matra_0379.jpg
Thanks for watching!

dmandam
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver
Your Name: DMANDAM
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Cook Islands

Post by dmandam »

Hi Marcus,
I assume they are functional and am curious as to how you assembled the "U" joint for the gear shift...in particular how you joined the two pieces of 0.45 rod to form the central 'cross'?
And when that was done how are they secured to the plastic tubing?
Thanks and regards,
David M
Sydney, Straya
BTW really outstanding work you are doing on the Matra.

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Hi David,

The two .45 rods are not connected to each other; they just interlock to keep both parts together. So the join is not really functional, but it does allow some angle and movement (and I can still choose the gear it's in).

The pins are flattened on one end with a grinding disc on a Dremel, which gives them a bit of a "head", so they don't fall through the hole (like a nail). Once in position, the other ends are secured with a drop of CA glue.

Thanks for following!
Marcus

Btw, I used your advice (couple of months ago) on making bigger holes; used it on the dashboard, so thanks for that ;)

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Finally have some assembly work done! I've been looking forward to this stage for a while, and I'm quite happy with the result so far. There is still some cleaning up to be done here and there. The dashboard is not permanently attached because it needs some switches, and the fuel filler caps can still be taken off.
20160123_matra_1686.jpg
20160123_matra_1688.jpg
20160123_matra_1692.jpg
20160123_matra_1693.jpg
20160123_matra_1700.jpg
20160123_matra_1706.jpg
20160123_matra_1710.jpg
Thanks for watching!!

Marcus

gavrob
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: Gavin Roberts
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lewis Hamilton
Great Britain

Post by gavrob »

Simply superb. Really enjoying this build.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Wow, what a masterpiece of art! :D
Take a stand!

harveyb258
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by harveyb258 »

Beautifully done! :D :D

Cheers, H

Topic author
mvc
Backmarker
Backmarker
Netherlands

Post by mvc »

Thank you very much gentlemen :)

Today I worked on the water tank, which hangs between the brake cylinders and the radiator. I cut my finger in the process :oops: so most work is done without my left thumb :(
The kit part, but with the mounts removed because they are inaccurate and can't be used anyway with all the new components on the bulkhead. The opening on top needs to be wider and deeper.
The kit part, but with the mounts removed because they are inaccurate and can't be used anyway with all the new components on the bulkhead. The opening on top needs to be wider and deeper.
Opened up the gap (which cost me my thumb...)
Opened up the gap (which cost me my thumb...)
The new panel (1mm plasticard) is resting on a vertical piece of scrap plastic to give it some strength.
The new panel (1mm plasticard) is resting on a vertical piece of scrap plastic to give it some strength.
That's 0.3mm plasticard glued into place with Tamiya's extra thin cement (which again is very nice!)
That's 0.3mm plasticard glued into place with Tamiya's extra thin cement (which again is very nice!)
Added some detail - not sure yet if I like everything, I'll decide when everything is primed. The new gap may be a bit too deep, but at least that gives me some space for the upcoming hose/pipe/tube connections.
Added some detail - not sure yet if I like everything, I'll decide when everything is primed. The new gap may be a bit too deep, but at least that gives me some space for the upcoming hose/pipe/tube connections.
Test fit with the new supports. (Top only, bottom ones will follow but I need to make some attachment points on the bulkhead first)
Test fit with the new supports. (Top only, bottom ones will follow but I need to make some attachment points on the bulkhead first)
20160124_matra_0453.JPG
Thanks for watching!

Marcus

orcatkt
F3
F3

Post by orcatkt »

So I guess the next step is to make it actually hold fuel and water? Level of detail is superb, would it be easier to just make the real car though?