Penske PC18 Transkit

Whatever its called these days... US open wheel racing.

Topic author
MGBrown
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Penske PC18 Transkit

Post by MGBrown »

I just received this: https://sites.google.com/site/classicra ... nske-pc-18

Transkit in the mail.

Any interest in a mini review?

It may be some time before I am able to work on the kit, but I could give some impressions.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: Penske PC18 Transkit

Post by JamesB »

MGBrown wrote: Any interest in a mini review?
Do you really need us to tell???? :D :D :D
Do, please!!!!

Topic author
MGBrown
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by MGBrown »

I will put something together for next week at the latest.

PJE
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
United States of America

Post by PJE »

I got mine too! :D
Here's a little preview until Mr. Brown puts his thoughts together.

Paul Erlendson
Attachments
Picture 003a.jpg

Topic author
MGBrown
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by MGBrown »

At this time I am only going to post a few impressions- I will do something more in-depth when I begin the build.

As for the transkit itself, I was pleased by the quality of the body casting, I feel that it will build up very nicely with little filling of pinholes and such. The body is cast in a light-weight resin which I feel will help when you graft on the plastic suspension components from the AMT donor kit.

One of the most impressive things is the fine set of instructions which give far more information to successfully complete the model than the average transkit. Because of the well thought out and illustrated instructions, this might be a great first toe in the water for those who have not yet worked with resin.

The kit comes with fill-in decals for the Indycals Patrick Racing-Fittipaldi decal sheet (fantastic by the way- now including floro red numbers!). As you can guess- these are the nasty adult product logos that if they weren't censored by our nanny state governments might lead to total anarchy.

One thing that the website and ordering page do not make clear IMO is that you will need at least one and possibly two AMT 1/25 Indycar kits to be able to build the Fittipaldi Penske PC-18. The kits needed are the Penske PC-17 (logical) but also the Lola T-88/00 kit for the rear wing uprights. When I begin the build I will investigate if the rear wing parts can be scratchbuilt to save having to buy a complete kit for only a few parts.

Other than the apparent relatively high cost to complete the model (two other kits + Indycals) the only other negative that I can see is that the kit includes one vac form windscreen where I am used to manufacturers supplying two.

This should be a great kit for those interested in building 1980's and 1990's Indy racers. I would recommend it for anyone of intermediate to advanced building skills.

Indy1977TX
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Penske Racing
United States of America

Post by Indy1977TX »

Thanks for the review. Not to be argumentative but in Calvin's defense, the Lola part is not required only recommended. PC17 uprights can be used to keep it to only one donor kit and I'm sure uprights can be fabricated by someone of the intended experience level. Plus, it is a nice tip for those with Lola's parts in the ol' parts box :wink:

Can't wait to see this one being built up, looking forward to your feedback on that.

Jordan