dancraft
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Re: MFH 312 T4 1/20

Post by dancraft »

[
dancraft wrote: The cast Aluminium tub cleans and polishes up very easily....
Allthough its not a big issue, I wish the other tub components would have been made of the same material instead of white metal so they matched better.
Dan, what did you use to polish tub and how did you do it ? Any problems with risen rivet heads ?
Looks like you've already well started on it. Can we expect a WIP soon ?[/quote]

Sergey,

I first cleaned up a couple of very ninor mold seams on edges with 1200 grit sandpaper, then i simply polished the entire tub with 0000 grade steel wool.... I read this tip from someone else on F1M.

I then followed up with a soft cloth and Tamiya medium compound and a bit of elbow grease. Rivet detail still looks perfect. :D

I have a couple of weeks off starting later today so I'd actually like to get this kit completed.... in between family commitments.
Ill be sure to start a WIP once I get fully in to it.

Regards, Dan

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi Dan,

Well done mate, You've just made my mind up for me on this kit... I was waiting for the kit reviews to come along before making my decision, but the pics you've supplied have done it now.

Do you get your 0000 steel wool locally? If so where from?

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.

fangio
World Champion
World Champion
Your Name: David
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
New Zealand

Post by fangio »

Paul_OFarrell wrote:Hi Dan,
Don't let me steal Dan's thunder, but try a hardware store. Steel Wool of that grade is often used for applying oil to naturally finished wooden furniture.... It's just abrasive enough to scuff the surface to allow the oil to soak in.

dancraft
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Australia

Post by dancraft »

fangio wrote:
Paul_OFarrell wrote:Hi Dan,
Don't let me steal Dan's thunder, but try a hardware store. Steel Wool of that grade is often used for applying oil to naturally finished wooden furniture.... It's just abrasive enough to scuff the surface to allow the oil to soak in.

Yeah, most hardware shops should have it. I checked Bunnings website and they seem to have most grades available, including 000 and 0000 for less than $4 each.
I actually got mine from my local "Home Hardware" for similar dollars.

I have just picked up a few paint supplies today so hopefully a WIP will be in full swing ASAP.

Regards, Dan

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

dancraft wrote: i simply polished the entire tub with 0000 grade steel wool.... I read this tip from someone else on F1M.

Regards, Dan
Perhaps here? Posted this on the 12th in the MM thread. Good luck with your build Dan, looks like you are off to a great start'

Icon_Modeler wrote:
tito wrote:My 312T4 is already in Portugal :)

Can´t wait to have it in my hands :) :) :) :) :) :)
Picked my two up from Mac last night. What a jewel though from what I have read from others about ejection pin marks I'm sure some will complain. For me, I 'm fine with the extra work but there are a lot of ejection pin marks on the plastic parts of this kit. One other thing to note, everthing I have seen posted about this kit says the chassis tub is machined aluminum. It is not, it is diescast from I'm guessing a blend of aluminum and zink. It is too heavy to be just aluminum. The rivit detail on the chassis is excellent but this could be a problem for those who expect to polish up the metal. The details are so small that I think they could be damaged if you use anything more then the finest steel wool. Also the surface is not pitted like white metal so you will not need to go threw the same steps. Anyhow I think everyone will be really happy with this kit it is one of the best so far from MFH. One other observation though. I fail to understand why this kit is cheaper then the normal MFH MM kit. Other then the plastic parts and the diecast chassis it is the same as any of the MM kits MFh have released over the past couple of years.

Not Formula 1, but I also picked up my Desktop Zero last night from Mac and WOW!!!! I'm not a airplane guy but this kit is amazing, Well it looked amazing in all the pictures I've seen and that is why I had to get one (OK two) The photoetch for the wings is pre formed to shape and the white metal parts are pristien. I've got to admit that this kit is the first I've ever seen that intimidates me it is almost 100% photoetch. The kit is now sold out at MFH but if you are PE freak and photoetch is your thing (PeteJ) you gotta get this kit.

:D :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports